The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning one and all.

An extra shift with the NT beckons today.   

I may use it as an excuse for a cooked breakfast.

Try to enjoy whatever it is you are up to today.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

The sky is mainly blue and the sun has appeared. It should be another fine and warm day.

On the subject of PPI I managed to claim and received two payments  last year which together gave me a very handy five figure sum. I was extremely surprised as I knew that I was paying it and also had one insurance claim paid out many years ago when I was off sick from work for 9 months. My bank and credit card company actually made the claim process very easy - I believe they were one of the biggest mis-selling offenders. 

No news yet whether or not "turf" and landscapers will arrive today so it looks like I will be playing a bit of a waiting game. I live in hope which is remarkable as I am normally a pessimist.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I also managed to get LED strip lights installed on one shelf in the kitchen. They were approved by the domestic authorities but the comment was that they were very bright. 

I'm usually pretty good at coming up with one-liners but that one has me well-and-truly stumped.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Enjoy your day BoD!

As it happens her indoors is off "volunteering " today so I may get various moddelling projects completed.

A review of stock box allocations is required then we may go and watch Yorkshire being beaten in a T20 tonight.

Three weeks of League cricket to go..only two weeks for me as I shall be at Swindon in a couple of weeks. Pah! The season has flown past. Sadly I haven't enjoyed it that much due to some political machinations in our League Umpire Group.

Enjoy yoir day, especial positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

13 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have made just one PPI cliam as after hecking any paperwork we have for loans, particularly on cars, we declined any PPI options so didnt pay the premiums shown. However the mortgage is the only one, so I have sent off the claim but dont hold much hope as apparently they rarely fall under the issue. If I do suceed then it will be quite a large sum. We shall see.

I suspect we were stiffed with PPI too but it's so long ago the trail will have gone cold by now.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple hare,

A good nights sleep, near enough 5 hours solid followed by another hour and a half on the sofa..

Slight rain overnight, small puddles around, light drizzle this morning..

There was an appology on facefart last night from the Southern Comfort fake paddle steamer, for going flat out through Horning... They had a customer on board needing to meet an ambulance. flat out is about 10mph, the speed limit is 4mph.. The helmsman of that  tourist boat you'll be glad to know is one of the most skillfull I know..

Some how two files on my desk top have the same name but for a space, one of which is totally the wrong name, but which one?  That's the one for a system behind me.. This will mean some extra testing, but I have the time for a change as there is no major system next week, as the one scheduled, was chosen not to be used for the duration of the rebuild and is sitting forlorn in a temporarily disused corridor....

Sadly no PPI Money for us, our mortgages were before the period you can claim for..

Time too... take the measurement of a 1G ohm resistor..

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

When you read someone sraring a fact by saying.."I believe that.." you know it is probably not correct..or is it just me??

I believe that is correct.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s not raining, but there may be some later, still I’ve not had to water the garden for the last couple of days. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is currently getting ready to leave for her Zumba class, once she’s gone I’ll continue work in the cellar. I’d always planned to put a freezer under the stairs and build under stairs storage, that was the main reason for blocking off the original open stair case, as dust and dirt always used to collect in the area under the stairs before. But I’d recently seen a couple of videos on ‘YouTube’ which used a different framework to what I’d originally planned, hence the re-design work yesterday. 

No PPI claims for me either, like Ian, I always declined it when it was offered and like Q our mortgage was taken out in the period before you can claims for, oh well!

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17

19 minutes ago, Barry O said:

When you read someone sraring a fact by saying.."I believe that.." you know it is probably not correct..or is it just me??

I believe that depends on whether it's a fact, an alternative fact, or total bullsheet.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Off today, taking noisy guest to the sprint then more racing - and that is our season done.  Guests are like fish soup - they go off after three days......

Just how can a 65 year old man spend so long on his phone?  Early....... :mad: too early.  Like still dark....:aggressive_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Mawning,

Still warm but not hot here AND there is a slight breeze. Drawings for Sports Club surprised Chairman due to the height of the most simple roof construction suited to maximise solar gain. He is meeting with The Football Foundation to see if they agree the plans (most unlikely) or what they would like to see (the ideal scenario but expecting someone to make a decision these days seems rather optimistic :mocking_mini:) or that they would reject everything due to no money - it having all gone to prop up league clubs who have lived beyond their means for years. I suspect (and almost hope) that we can get a steer from this Official and then progress the whole thing - the present facilities are less than adequate but I am not a player so what do I know?

The deferred trip to replenish larder and fridge promised for yesterday must be made today as SWMBO will be without calories if we don't. I would always manage to forage something but then I'm not a fussy eater. A visit from our kitchen supplier is expected shortly, we (well, SWMBO really) wish to add a wall full of cupboards so she can have more places to put things we haven't used in the last five years and are unlikely to ever need in the future for her best crockery, cook-books and glasses. There is an ulterior motive too, she no longer likes the dining table and sideboard that ten years ago she was so insistent that we needed, would cherish endlessly and now it appears that she wishes to get rid of it. I suspect that a significant PPI payout may be necessary to afford this but we never had any!

You may rightly guess that, like GrandadBob, I am something of a pessimist. The only bright thing for me is that, when the outcome of any situation turns in my favour, I can rejoice. I am not known for rejoicing (having only been in churches for "four wheel events" such as Christenings, Weddings and Funerals for many a long year) but can respect those who do get solace that way. Seeing trains run seems to be the extent of my enjoyment these days. 

Good day one and all, may your tribulations be minor and your ailments diminish, and for those around you too. As Tony S will soon be saying: "Have a nice day ya'all" (but of course in the measured tones of the late Alistair Cook).

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

Off today, taking noisy guest to the sprint then more racing - and that is our season done.  Guests are like fish soup - they go off after three days......

Just how can a 65 year old man spend so long on his phone?  Early....... :mad: too early.  Like still dark....:aggressive_mini:

This requires both the funny and the sympathy emojis Neil! He could take up with SWMBO as that is what fills her days too but at his age he probably isn't interested in "an older woman".

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A fair bit cooler today but dry and the suns shining. I received almost £1800 from PPI which I had forgotten about until I discovered an old statement. What had happened I had a credit card on which I had being paying PPI unknowingly. The credit card company was taken over by Citibank and after a year or so the account was transfered. It was then that I saw that I was paying PPI so I then cancelled it. This was a couple of years before the scandal came to light. When I found the old statement I put in a claim and received £825 in compensation. Then a few months ago they wrote to me saying that they had found that they owed me another £950. A little tip, if a PPI claim is paid out after 2016 you can claim back all of the tax paid on the interest, call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 and they will advise.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Morning All,

We have another pleasant morning, it's due to warm up later but for the moment the temperature is reasonable.

Did you work down Geevor John?  I was lucky enough to go down Geevor back in the early 90s on a tour that took us down out under the Atlantic Ocean into the old Levant workings.  I was looking to study Geology/ Mining Engineering in those days and although I ended up studying Electronic Engineering, I've maintained an interesting in mining.

Being deep under the Atlantic, and hearing the waves crashing above made quite an impression on me!

Have a good day everyone...

Not working in mines, but am a member of the organisation that runs it, and we've contributed information about the history of tin mining, the book of which is, I believe, still on sale at Geevor.

My only working tin mine experience was going down South Crofty in 1967/8 as part of A level study.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Autokerrekt
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

So far, no work has been done in the cellar. However, I've not been idle, I have replaced the doorbell push button with a bell pull, we've had this for some time and when it became corroded, I stripped it down, cleaned and repainted it. It then got put away and forgotten. I also put up a sign that reads 'pull bell' as it used to confuse a lot of folk who came to the door. I the scrapped the small amount of paint that was on the leaded windows of the front door. I'm now sitting down with muggertea No2 before heading back down to the cellar. 

• Like 17