The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Sun breaking through the rain clouds 4hrs of house chores done off to the garage till the slapped #ase come to sign some paperwork

then off to feed the dog and later a coffee with an attractive lady:wub:.

Does anyone know what's going on at the Bluebell Railway they are not excepting credit or debit cards I was wanting to book the Pullman dinning train.

Must get on enjoy your day:superman: Ina Rush:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

No heat here, and no racing either just now, weather being un-co-operative - fist and mog.

Mighty busy at work anyway, no chance to scive off.

81C Bob IIRC one of the banks was having a card/payment meltdown this week?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't go on a cruise - I would want to be in the engineroom all the time.  I'm bad enough on the ferry, but as the Superintendent Engineer is a pal I get to go 'down below' on that when I want!  Scratches an old itch.  You would think you would never want to see one again, but ships and the sea are an addictive drug even after all this time.

Edited by New Haven Neil
Speelink
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

No heat here, and no racing either just now, weather being un-co-operative - fist and mog.

Mighty busy at work anyway, no chance to scive off.

81C Bob IIRC one of the banks was having a card/payment meltdown this week?

natwest and RBS were both down.. supposedly they are working again..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I couldn't go on a cruise - I would want to be in the engineroom all the time.  I'm bad enough on the ferry.....  You would think you would never want to see one again, but ships and the sea are an addictive drug even after all this time.

That sir is exactly why Dame KZ is never going to get me on a bl@@dy floating hotel and, just like you, even the IoW ferry makes me want to get inside them - particularly the new hybrid one Victoria of White.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A fair bit cooler than yesterday and a lot more comfortable. A fairly strong SW breeze at times but that keeps it fresher.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

natwest and RBS were both down.. supposedly they are working again..

Might be something to do with the end of PPI claims tomorrow. RBS have just had a slapped wrist for not informing customers that they may have a claim.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I couldn't go on a cruise - I would want to be in the engineroom all the time.  I'm bad enough on the ferry, but as the Superintendent Engineer is a pal I get to go 'down below' on that when I want!  Scratches an old itch.  You would think you would never want to see one again, but ships and the sea are an addictive drug even after all this time.

Me neither, especially when you see a couple of ships disgorging passenger in the thousands, all descending on some tiny island or overwhelming some unfortunate port of call.

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Work was worked today.

Plywood succumbed to saw, drills and glue.

We now have the basis of a large test facility.

Golf will be golfed tomorrow.

Very, veryfaint chance of 5th place in the league. very faint chance of 7th - if we lose all 6 matches. 6th place if we don't.

Slightly earlier tee time than normal for league games which means fighting with the traffic - I will pass the former site of Rose Grove shed on my travels.

A delivery of predominantly white print on a backing sheet means an encounter with a saucer of water, tweezers and tissue paper

I may look in again before zzzz time.

Have a good Thursday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

25 minutes ago, brianusa said:

especially when you see a couple of ships disgorging passenger in the thousands, all descending on some tiny island or overwhelming some unfortunate port of call

This is now the subject of said ports of call investigating a substantial per passenger tax (above anything levied now) to discourage such ships - particularly the monsters. One news report suggested something in the region of £50 (per passenger per port of call). Venice appears to be in the process of banning them.

Bruges/Zeebrugge is planning to limit ships berthed simultaneously to two. I saw an interview with the Mayor where he bemoaned the fact that with their all-inclusive packages, cruise passengers fill the streets during the day, but other than some bar-hopping do not spend any of their hard-earned at restaurants, particularly in the evening so the advertised benefits of the passengers does not materially benefit the town proportionally to the influx. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added link
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

On 27/08/2019 at 19:34, Coombe Barton said:

On the Tin Coast (St Just) it was called croust.

I lied.

In Geevor it was called mozzel, eaten in mozzel holes, opening with rudimentary seating hewn out of the side of the level. Mozzel is thought to be a corruption of morsel.

Croust is a bit to the east.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The club was a bit busier than I expected but there will be a distinct lack of members next week as several announced that they are going on holiday. I spotted the article on Andy's shop and the Great Model Railway Challenge, I missed the first episode but I'll be watching the rest.

• Like 13

Evening awl,

Bit of a catch up since my last post disappeared up the ether .....

Monday took me to the boring borough on behalf of the LAS; not too far from Andrew C.  Tuesday was sacristan work at my church.   Today was PAT testing at another church.  Twixt all this, I've taken down the new layout and am refurbishing the old layout for its trip to Woking in the middle of next month.  This includes replacing a point on board 2; the point fried its solenoid a while back, whilst I installed a Cobalt, the geometry was affected and stock would derail.  Amazingly after a good wiggle and removal of spiders' webs, all the points worked!  However my Lenz box was playing silly wit an Error 97, apparently a flat battery!  I've borrowed a box from Peter Clark and mine may be working again after a charge and a reset.

I will be at Telford on Saturday after a crack of dawn start.  Remind me who else is there?

And so to bed.  Bill

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain stayed with us on and off for most of the day, only abating about 7:00 this evening. During some of the ‘not raining spells’ I managed to get all the new door furniture on the outside front door. Although I haven’t yet repainted the inside of the front door, I also managed to change all the interior door furniture too, I’ll paint it later in the year, as it’s not very high on the to do list. Once that was done, I continued working on the cellar stairs and I’ve give all the woodwork a second coat of undercoat, leaving just one side the spindles to do. 

Once I’d knocked off for the day I got changed and then sat at the table a drew up plans for some under stairs storage drawers. It’s all a bit rough at the moment, as I’ve yet to take accurate measurements, but it looks like I can get a couple of large pullout drawers and a small upright freezer under the stairs and still have room for a good size desk etc for the computer, so I’ll take some more accurate measurements tomorrow. 

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

8 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

... drew up plans for some under stairs storage drawers. ... it looks like I can get a couple of large pullout drawers and a small upright freezer under the stairs and still have room for a good size desk etc for the computer

Somehow I suspected that this cellar project had more life in it yet.

I once saw a model home with a half-court basketball court in the basement. Then there's those car turntable scissor lifts so you can store as many cars as will fit in an underground space but require only one regular garage opening. These might require a little more digging.

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

I will be at Telford on Saturday after a crack of dawn start.  Remind me who else is there?

And so to bed.  Bill

Those RMWs I know of are Happy Hippo, Crimson Rambler and me.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2