The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've done sod all today but listen to the sound of drills saws and lawnmowers drifting in through the open windows. Its too hot for anything strenuous so its an all day siesta. I have made some tea however which is about to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 15

For those who enjoy more scientific internet diversions, ever since Kilauea's most recent eruptions (starting more than a year ago) I liked to check in on the website for the USGS Hawai'i Volcanoes Observatory. During the eruptions they were mapping the lava flows on an almost daily basis. With little happening in the last 12 months since the eruption ceased, updates were fairly rare.

Recently however a pond started to form in Halema‘uma‘u - the main Kīlauea crater. This seems to have caused great excitement amongst the observers and they started posting photographs almost daily as the pond grew.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

T20 today may seem a bit of an anticlimax after yesterday's heroics. My 9-year-old pundit will fill me in with the details, batting, bowling and fielding stats, and odds of the final result as we go along.

Well frazzled after 3 hours in the sun at Old Trafford. Weather brought out a record crowd for a non-Roses T20 Blast game there, 14,752. Unfortunately the result didn't go the way the lads wanted, too many singles on the middle of the innings and Lightning ended up 12 runs short. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

As I look out into the garden, beady eyes are staring back at me.

On the left is Whistler, a seagull who has been coming the garden since she was able to fly. Tame enough to be hand fed by SWMBO.

At the back is Ginge, a feral cat who will sit by the back door, staring in through the glass, but hiss and snarl as you put food out for him.

Don't have a seagull, they are down in the harbour, but we do have feral cat as a neighbour,  A lovely cat really, part Persian, and just the same; go near him and he hisses and snarls.  He lives somewhere around and somebody feeds him, we don't as we have a fixed female short haired tabby who incidentally came from a feral family but has domesticated herself to the extent of sharing our bed!

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Before long it will feel weird coming in to the office with little responsibility for the next five weeks. But I plan to take advantage of the companionship of the office and retain some vestiges of my old routine before shutting myself away at home.

"Shutting yourself away at home" isn't all that bad, Mike.  Time for yourself and family which may not have been available in your work schedule is now open.  Weekends are no longer and every day is available to do whatever is required.  If you feel the need to keep working then there is time to explore any opportunity.

Brian.

• Like 11
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Based on the volume of posts it seems the ER community has had a prodigiously busy bank holiday weekend. The Labor Day weekend in the US arrives next weekend and I am looking forward to it.

Yesterday I had to replace my grill brush. After brushing the hot grill I normally oil the grill with oiled, sturdy paper towels propelled under the brush. You might think these would catch fire. Normally they don't but on Saturday they did. Not wanting burning embers flying away and having nothing to hand to extinguish the flames I tamped the burning paper towels down with the brush. This caused the accumulated grease in the brush to catch fire releasing the fine metal bristles from the brush. This rendered the brush useless. No one wants fine metal bristles working their way through one's system.

I've got a metal spiral brush for mine. Works fine. Would never use one that is like a toothbrush with the bristles stuck into holes in the handle. I have however started cleaning down the hot grille with balled up tinfoil. The geeks on the BBQ forums I'm on all use that method. No sharp bits of metal and it works great. 

To everyone else. 

post-2818-0-97303900-1471987909.jpegpost-2818-0-24943100-1471987924_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Thought the house was getting a bit stuffy then I realised what was wrong. When I go out I shut all the windows as the house will be empty but when I got back I forgot to open them again. They are now open and the house is beginning to cool down. When I did get back the grasshoppers were kicking up a racket, it must be the mating season.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Bletchley is a fascinating place and staffed by many very helpful people. Do contact them first and explain your issues - I am sure they will pull out all the stops to assist. On the down side, it is a place that requires more than one visit to really appreciate what was going on there and I would urge you and Sandy to use a wheelchair for her convenience. Ventilation inside is not great so wait until the temperatures moderate!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather stayed cloudy dull until after dinner, which made work on the front door a little bit more comfortable. However, after dinner the sun came out and shone and it got very warm. As planned, the front door received a final light sanding, before I then wiped it all down. Whilst it dried I had my mid morning muggertea, after about half an hour I was able to give it it’s first coat of undercoat, finishing just before dinner. 

After dinner I painted the lock’s barrel black, to go with the rest of the new door furniture. Try as I may, I was unable to buy a new barrel pre-painted in black, so I took the original barrel to the workshop, gave the face of it a good clean and polish, then applied the blackening liquid I use on my model loco’s before spraying it black. I also did the latch part of the lock too, as again I couldn’t get one in black. All was going well until I was dismantling the latch, when the spring flew off and disappeared out of the workshop door. Well could I find it, could I f*@#, I even lifted some of the decking up thinking the spring had fallen between a couple of planks, but to no avail. I looked in my spares box, to see if I had anything that was suitable as a replacement, but again I was out of luck. I finally found the spring behind a potted rose, about 5 feet in front of the decking, how the f*@# did it get there I asked myself. Anyway, after a couple of coats of paint the barrel and latch look really nice and Sheila is very pleased with the results too!

Tonight after tea and some of the heat had gone, I once again went outside and watered the plants, once back inside, I poured my a bottle of Doombar. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 19