The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Breaking news - re-oiling the woodwork has been moved to the top of my agenda. This will of course require a visit to the store that repairs broken fasteners for Danish Oil, brushes and wire wool. That is clearly preferable to being dragged around various emporia by SWMBO as she fails to decide on which outfits she wishes to be seen in - and I can safely avoid answering the age-old question that for men should always result in a lying response: "does my bum look big in this?" At least the wood to be treated faces north on KZ's shack so I can get a lot done in the shade as The Dome has so little skin left on it that I can't afford to expose it to high levels of UV.

Back later (I hope)....

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I always tell the truth if my opinion is asked and am still here to tell the tale. I've always told The Boss that if she doesn't want an honest answer then she shouldn't ask the question.   (and I will say something even if not asked if I don't think it looks right)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit or a dull start to the day and a little bit cooler than of late, so that should make working outside a bit more comfortable. My first task will be to sand all the relief detail of the door, then I’ll do the ends. It will then get a could clean off before I give the door it’s first coat of undercoat, hopefully all before dinner.

Back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I always tell the truth if my opinion is asked and am still here to tell the tale. I've always told The Boss that if she doesn't want an honest answer then she shouldn't ask the question.   (and I will say something even if not asked if I don't think it looks right)

If asked "Are you a man or a mouse?", I think I would respond with the latter. You sir are clearly made of sterner stuff (and not that which is found at the back end of The Q's boat).

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Morning all.

On what threatens to be a very warm day we have tickets to see Les Miserables.  They were booked nearly a year ago now and we thought it would be a good way to spend an (invariably) rainy August Bank Holidy Monday.

On Friday, whilst browsing a local market I came across some ‘home made’ sugar free Lemon and Lime Curd.  It is over a year since I have had any jam or the like so I thought I would give it a go.  I’ve just had some with a slice of toast and it was delicious. Not sweet but just the right tartness.

Enjoy your Monday and in the words of advice from those who know better than we do, don’t forget to drink.

BoD, may I ask, was the "home made" curd from somewhere I can get a jar from. ?

Visitors... gone

Washing.. on line to dry/ in machine being washed

Coffee ...drunk

Beast..on charge

May just have a little sit for a while.

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Barry O said:

BoD, may I ask, was the "home made" curd from somewhere I can get a jar from. ?

It was at a local craft market in my home town but I believe it is one of those stalls that spends each day at a different market.  It sells only jams and curds.  If, over time you visit different markets you recognise the same stalls. They must all have a fixed rota. 

I will get hold of a jar nearer the time and bring it to Hartlepool.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This sounds suspiciously like the Ark!

Are we expecting a little rain shortly?

Don't forget the unicorns this time!

Ooops, sorry, too late :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Its going to be another hot one so nothing will get done today. Not that it hasn't put some people off, I can hear the sounds of drilling and sawing as I type. Luckily the forecast is that its going to get cooler over the coming week.

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

One article in The Australian said "Cut the applause: Stokes was out."

Wonder what they'd have said if the boot was on the other foot. And they talk about whinging Poms!  :)

Sh!t happens in all sport, you just have to get over it.

The Aussies always were bad losers.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning from an overcast South West. Way much cooler here than its going ot be back home.

Seeing Stubbys post, we managed to avoid our pasties being attacked by the seagulls in St Ives. My other half calls them the 'Pasty Munchers'

Had a pleasant evening meal with brother who picked us up from his closest station, Newton St Cyres.

Currently sitting in 1`st class on a 2 x 3 SWR 159 having paid the weekend first upgrade - way more comfy than a GWR standard class IET 'Marrow' seat and cheaper overall.

No more beer for a while as fully beered out after the weekend.

Up here we have "Bridies" instead of pasties(same sort of ingredients), mostly made in and around Forfar, so obviously the inhabitants of that town are know as "Bridie munchers", though not all of them may know that lol.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Morning all, hope all's well,

It was sixty years ago today that the Mini was launched to the press at Chobham testing ground in Surrey...!

Issigonis Chobham 1959_zpstnwgzrwe.jpg

I remember seeing one at a dealers in St. Leonards when they were first announced.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

This sounds suspiciously like the Ark!

Are we expecting a little rain shortly?

Get worried when you see the Hippos being loaded.

Here the hooligans, sorry son and party have departed.  The house is p,easantly quiet.  Beth and I went out for a cycle ride and ended up picking a pound of Sloes from various hedges that we passed.  Yesterdsy a mysterious benefactor left us two bottles of eau de vie (75% plus) so it seems that with the pound and a half already gathered we have the maki gs of so e more sloe gin. Last year's was excellent.

Jamie

• Like 19

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Up here we have "Bridies" instead of pasties(same sort of ingredients), mostly made in and around Forfar, so obviously the inhabitants of that town are know as "Bridie munchers", though not all of them may know that lol.

I can't hear or read the name Forfar without thinking of the tea time footie results from World Of Sport in the '70s... ''East Fife, 4, Forfar, 5'' ;).

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

First coat of Danish Oil on the bits of wood I had to sand heavily to remove the silvering (because it isn't uniformly across all sections) after rubbing down the rest of the garden doors. I shall return to it at around 7pm to apply a second coat before deciding if I need one or two more before coating the remainder of the doors and frame. Son has advised on the camera issue so I can now attempt to get it to work with the ultra-wide angle large aperture lens that I got specifically to do sky photos. Meanwhile, back to the drawing board (literally) to do more GAs for the Sports Club.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

And it 'arf hot - but some clown is out there in full sun mowing next door's lawn; must have a heat resistant suit on.  His ladship is currently in Madrid and according to the 'net it is actually cooler there, just, than it is here and it was no doubt even cooler when his taxi arrived here at 05.00 to waft him away to LHR following which BA not only actually operated his flight but it arrived in Spain on time.  In a further effort to fall on his feet he had previously asked the company VP he is visiting there if he knew anything about a real ale bar with good food that a pal har recommended to Rob - answer from said VP was not only that he knew it but that it was owned by a good friend of his.

The heat also produces some odd things such as Mrs Stationmaster saying yesterday that she was making a shepherd's pie for dinner.  This struck me as most odd - not because said pie would be containing minced beef but I could hardly imagine her setting out in this weather to produce a load of mash to surface the pie.  I needn't have worried - instead of mash it came topped with roast slices of a rather nice potato which comes from the supermarket;  a brilliant idea and more than enjoyable in this sort of weather especially with a huge helping of runner beans from the garden.  Tonight we have salad - much more seasonable.

I have posted some more ship pics from the recent trip and once that simple task is out of the way I'll get on with the epic tales of tempest and diversions.

Enjoy the rest of your day

ADDENDUM - the final part of our April trip has - at long last - been posted here -

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I remember on one of my first trips to Scotland I saw what I thought was a pastie in a bakers and when I asked for one got very strange looks till they realised what i wanted and said, ah a Bridie!!

• Like 19