The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, newbryford said:

Llandegla red is quite a good workout. The climb is worth it for the bit that comes afterwards.

I went there once when it was icy- "interesting" going sideways in the first downhill section - especially with my new steed at the time that I was still getting used to - but it got better from there.

A well deserved large hot chocolate with whipped cream and bacon/egg butty was the reward in the cafe.

I really need to get out on my bike(s) more.

Cheers,

Mick

I like Llandegla Red because it's one I am still physically able to ride right round, except for the Double Steep Climb and "Get the Cakes In" climb. I feel a lot better about them having just watched a Youtube video where the rider failed on both. The Blue is a lot easier but a great blast. I can do the ride down non-stop in about 35 minutes.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sounds as if we are all in danger if GDB is in the vicinity. Today I have only zapped a few weeds with the weedkiller and disturbed a lot of grasshoppers, its too hot for any serious gardening. The package failed to arrive so I hope it turns up Tuesday. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning from a sunny St Ives. Its beer o'clock already and will soon be pasty o'clock

20190824_103738.jpg

You're almost in Hayle, will you be popping into the show tomorrow?

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

You could not make it up. The curse of GDB strikes again.

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

.what could possibly go wrong next?

Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying.

Fate/don't/tempt.............

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 11

12 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

then off to fight the A30 traffic to Hayle. 

Frightening!  I've heard of Cornwall traffic this time of year, even experienced it but when you see it in print it seems terrible!  There was a time when you didn't really need to bypass Hayle, in fact the only time I've been there was driving through it.:o

Brian.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

Oh! Stiddlephix . . . . £100 and 3 points. . . . £20 per m ower the limit!!

John

Was it one of their mobile vans?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a scorcher here in the northwest of England, but it’s nice working outside in the sunshine, quite a pleasant change from the cellar. A good start has been made on the front door, all the old door furniture has been removed and holes filled in as appropriate. All the new door furniture was then fitted and new holes drilled where needed. The biggest job I had was making the letterbox opening a bit wider as the new one was about 6mm wider than the old. This took quite a bit of work as the door is made of Ash which is quite hard to cut, but some nice sharp chisels made the work fairly easy. I had the door made from Ash, which is very hard wearing, just over 25 years ago, as the original door was well past its sell by date and due to the doors being an odd width, 3’ 1” I was unable to buy one straight off the shelf. I couldn’t tell how many times, when phoning round to get the price for a new door, that I was told “yes we sell 3’ 1” wide size doors” only to find out that they meant 31” door and not 37”. Anyway, tomorrow I can start removing the varnish and giving the door a final sanding ready for undercoating.

After tea I had a quick walk round the garden and watered the plants, before sitting down and opening a bottle of red.

At school the only foreign language we were taught was French, which I totally disliked and dropped as soon as I was able. We also did woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing. But when it came to making your final choices, I had to choose between woodwork or metalwork, as you weren’t allowed do both, so I ended up choosing metalwork and technical drawing. The later subject is the only one in which I got an ‘O’ level in.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Tony I hope the weather will be a bit lot better for you than it was when we went down Southampton Water 10 days ago -

DSCF0912 copy.jpg

And a lot better and clearer than it was when P&O's  'Aurora' overtook us a week ago yesterday off Portsmouth (the Spinnaker Tower is just about visible on the extreme left of the photo in the murk astern of her) - 

325157306_P1010870copy.jpg.4ea066501d57ce5141d5ba4b07287fbe.jpg

But despite the weather all was well in the dining room with the table ready laid for dinner which would be begin to be served exactly one hour after I took that photo of the Aurora.  Serviette folding of the day being the  candle shape - which coincidentally was one of the ways our steward used to fold them when he had worked for both Cunard and P&O.

2049834066_P1010861copy.jpg.fceae3073274e4f638cb2e2886e4bec3.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Oh! Stiddlephix . . . . £100 and 3 points. . . . £20 per m ower the limit!!

As the French have it, "quelle buqqer"!

Compared to some other states they are fairly strict in Idaho but they usually don't even bother with you until you're five over the limit, and even at that you might get off with a warning. Mind you, "Yesh ossifer. What sheems to be the problem?" will earn you the chromium bangles.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 4