The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Bayerischer Mist Wagen?

Nope,

As explained to Junior NB, the similar sounding German car has the initials that stand for:

Avoids Using Direction Indicators....................

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

My Volvo  V70 is the same and the parking brake is worse than useless, very small shoes that struggled to hold it on our steep drive in the UK.

Jamie

My first Freelander had the same system. The handbrake didn’t really work at all well. The second Freelander had  the handbrake drums replaced with electrically controlled disc callipers. The Range Rover has the handbrake operating on the rear disc brakes but it isn’t operated by the little brake switch. When Park is selected the “handbrake” is applied. When drive or reverse is selected the brake comes off as the accelerator is pressed. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Andyid, I bow to your superior knowledge, but I was told it was the same or very similar transmission from the same manufacturer by someone in the trade.  Maybe they were bad-mouthing the competition.

Nevertheless, both very troublesome....I see Ford have gone back to a torque converter transmission.

The "superior knowledge" took a bit of work on the interwebby :)  I just thought it strange that arch-rivals Ford and VW would share anything.

I think it would be a pity if dual-clutch transmissions disappear completely. When they are working properly they are great for economy and performance. My Fiat has a torque converter automatic and it's pretty sloppy compared to the dual-clutch that was in the Jetta.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

When I wrote that I said to myself some clever-clogs is going to find an exception  ;)

Ford Transit

VW Transporter.

Similar but different................ (Having said that, my now sold layout was a comfortable fit in a Transit, but bl**dy tight in a Transporter.)

The VW Crafter and Merc Sprinter are the same van but with different trim.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well it’s been wet here, very wet, it has rained here all day and only stopped around 8:00 this evening. There’s been quite a stiff breeze as well but thankfully that seems to have stopped too.

Once I’d got back from this morning’s shopping trip I put away all the purchases and then made myself a muggertea then decamped to the living room and read the latest RM. As Friday is usually a rest day after dinner I read some more before completing a spot of eyelid inspection. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, chrisf said:

Unfortunately Craig the engineer is not allowed to climb the pole without a hoist so one must be procured. 

Our local Fire Station has a regular crew and a volunteer one. The volunteer crew can't go to house fires as they aren't trained to climb ladders. What's a fireman supposed to do to get up the outside of a building FFS?

Back to other matters I was in Manchester today doing Grandad duty. Chris, I saw this machine and immediately thought of your boots.

20190816_rainbowlaces.jpg.fd0791671051250114a7ed38a935892e.jpg

Unfortunately not a very good picture with the phone as it's in a glass case, but just the thing for running up some Rainbow Laces. Two sets of bobbins move in opposite directions and also in and out like a Maypole dance then the rollers at the top flatten the braiding.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The Range Rover has the handbrake operating on the rear disc brakes but it isn’t operated by the little brake switch. When Park is selected the “handbrake” is applied. When drive or reverse is selected the brake comes off as the accelerator is pressed. 

Can you activate it as an emergency brake or is that not required (not that emergency brakes seem to be much use anyway).

I once had a total brake failure on a little GM truck that had dual-circuit brakes. I T-boned a car that ran a stop sign at a crossroads (the driver was seriously drunk.) I was on a 55 MPH road but I was doing around 45 when we connected. The impact ripped the master cylinder off the linkage to the brake pedal and I went rolling along in a field on the other side of the road without any brakes for quite a distance. I could probably have stopped the truck if I had activated the e-brake with my foot but that only occurred to me days later.

It's a good thing the truck had the recently mandatory driver side air-bag, and I was wearing a seat-belt. The drunk was lucky too. I demolished the passenger side of his car.

I'd only had the truck for a few months and fortunately it was an insurance write-off. We also had a VW Vanagon at that time but after the T-bone incident I always felt nervous driving the Vanagon. If I'd been driving it rather than the truck that night I'm not sure I would have survived the collision.

• Friendly/supportive 17

Greetings one and all

I have a resurgence of cellulitis in my right leg, which HURTS!  Fortunately I have plenty of penicillin with which to fight it but Iam anxious that it may not be banished beore this time next week when I am due to drive down to Cardiff for Pride Cymru, not to mention march for a couple of miles in the parade.  Apart from getting some bare essentials from the supermarket I will not be going anywhere.

One piece of good news though - the VW dealership phoned yesterday.  They will be changing my brakes on Tuesday.  Let us see what happens.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

A very wet morning here. My game today is at a picturesque ground  which takes ages to dry out. I may be watching the grass grow for a lot of today. Pah!

Have a great day all!

Posirive thoughts to all who ail! 

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

And it almost could be moorings with the amount of rain last night,  although it's a bright sunny cloudless sky at the moment.. 

6 hours plus 1.5 hours of good sleep which would have been more, if Ben the Border Collie hadn't given me the stare and whine.  He was desperate  to go out after his brief evening sprint out and in last night. 

Breakfast has been had,  a Muggacoffee to follow,  then I have some light units to move from the tin shed to near their fitting place in the railway shed.  After which some shelf building will commence, before heading to the show.

I think most of our MRC,  will be going to the show in North Walsham today .,

The venue is also being looked at,  as a possible site for our show or our open day should the site seem suitable to us.  It's certainly more central to our membership area.  That being said provisionally our current site, that is being rebuilt in Aylsham, has been booked. 

Bye for now... 

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My first Freelander had the same system. The handbrake didn’t really work at all well. The second Freelander had  the handbrake drums replaced with electrically controlled disc callipers. The Range Rover has the handbrake operating on the rear disc brakes but it isn’t operated by the little brake switch. When Park is selected the “handbrake” is applied. When drive or reverse is selected the brake comes off as the accelerator is pressed. 

My Disco Sport is the same, but it also has a button with release handle for the parking brake if you need manual override. Never had problems with the Freelander’s hand brake apart from it sticking after not driving it for a few weeks. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly cloudy and cooler Charente.   I managed to get the permanent fly screen fixed in the upstairs bedroom.   This is now being readied for the visit of the next set of summer complaints.  This time it's No 1 son (Martin together with partner Katie and her 8 yr old Ryan.  They are due to arrive some time in the early hours of Sunday morning and will be staying just over a week.   I suspect that it will be a rather better week than when the T*rd was in residence.    The grass was mowed by Eric and my good self and the compost heap is growing.      Not a lot else got done but I enjoyed watching the documentary about Woodstock on BBC4.   I had a chance conversation with a guy when I was standing near the Big Boy in Laramie.  He mentioned that he had been at Woodstock.   Anyway it was a good watch.

Today the bedroom has to be hoovered and the beds made then I need to check the pool as we appear to have a leak.   Apart from that not a lot is on the agenda.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning one and all.

No, I haven’t just got up.  I’ve been out with the dog and collected the paper and had two, yes two, cups of coffee.  Who says I lead an unexciting life.  Saturday is the only day I read a paper paper.  I subscribe to a different paper’s online version and read that on other mornings.  Saturdays and Sundays are more about the different sections rather than the news.

Have a good day.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Bright and sunny and everything is drying up.

I checked the dating forum this morning and found an attractive lady likes me a message has been sent saying the feeling is mutual that has put me in a good mood for the day. :wub:

Chrisf you will find the steering wheel issue on the Fiesta's was modified some 7 years ago with the Mk7 two spokes at  9 -15 with all the hands free controls on, phone button & radio

volume control on the left and cruise control on the right.

Nothing planned today but the garage will be visited for shelf and cupboard clearance.

Enjoy your day, :superman: D. Juan. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mawningawl,

The weather here is far better than yesterday, bright skies with a few high clouds and winds no more than Beaufort 3. CowboysRUs are in attendance but their numbers are fairly limited = quiet. A visit to the emporium of delayed flowers is likely at some stage as we have run much of our cupboard space to a level of which Combe Barton would be jealous. Later today two of my fellow cribbage players who are heavily involved in flat-green bowls are part of the local club’s open day. As both SWMBO’s and my father were quite keen, SWMBO thinks I should be too. We may therefore wander that way at some stage.

Our 2008 Stuttgart chariot has a cable handbrake which can stick if left parked for any length of time. Our more modern and luxurious Munich vehicle (which has the signalling extra pack :D) has an electrically operated hand brake which I find very useful when stopped in traffic through its action in the auto hill start feature. An added bonus with the Beemer is that the vehicle behind me doesn’t have to see my brake lights displayed once I have come to a stop. On the Merc, we revert to “yanking on the anchors”. The Beemer may suffer from slight brake seizures if left unused but that isn’t as noticeable as on the Merc.

Get well soon or sympathies to the sufferers, celebratory wishes to those who are due such. Be good or be careful to the rest of you!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Can you activate it as an emergency brake or is that not required (not that emergency brakes seem to be much use anyway

Yes there is a small lever type switch near where a hand brake would have been installed traditionally. 

Tony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all

Yesterday was unnecessarily wet. I hadn’t quite arrived home when the clouds began to leak.

I had to divert via the sorting office to collect a small package containing what might be the only Soot Black weathering powder in the country. It has taken much trawling of the intertubes to locate but means my weathering roadshow can get back on track. 

I felt uncommonly tired during the afternoon and popped off for a snooze. I was woken four hours later by SWMBO announcing dinner. I hadn’t even heard her come in.  I then retired again around 8 and woke this morning having slept for far longer - and much better - than I usually manage. 

It is a dry sunny and autumnal day Upon the Hill. The tomatoes are ripening nicely. The beans are all but over. There are still plenty of bee-attracting flowers open. 

Breakfast has been enjoyed. The supermarket has delivered. I must now adjourn to the workroom and get some paperwork done. 

Best wishes to one and all. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2