The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Good morning one and all.

No, I haven’t just got up.  I’ve been out with the dog and collected the paper and had two, yes two, cups of coffee.  Who says I lead an unexciting life.  Saturday is the only day I read a paper paper.  I subscribe to a different paper’s online version and read that on other mornings.  Saturdays and Sundays are more about the different sections rather than the news.

Have a good day.

Our newsagent seems to be having problems at the moment. He blames the paper delivery child. I asked if he employs one at the moment and admitted he didn’t have one. Today we did get a newspaper but not the news bit just the weekend supplements. I shall call in as I return from taking Aditi to the station. She is off to London to see ballet. 

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget, if anyone is passing Hayle next weekend,  I'll be showing Tinner's Forge at the local exhibition.

I know Gwiwer was hoping to be down again, but other circumstances have, I believe,  ruled that out.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Our newsagent seems to be having problems at the moment. He blames the paper delivery child. I asked if he employs one at the moment and admitted he didn’t have one. Today we did get a newspaper but not the news bit just the weekend supplements. I shall call in as I return from taking Aditi to the station. She is off to London to see ballet. 

Tony

When I was a lad....... a newspaper round was a way of earning some corn to follow whatever paths a teenager wished (Players Weights, Craven A or Wills Woodbines :D). As fewer papers are printed, sold and even less delivered, that early learning experience about wealth creation has been removed but perhaps will be replaced by interweb trading for a smaller number. This all suggests we will soon be restricted to living in our little boxes with everything we need delivered by vans under the control of rather large jungle ladies!

I hope Aditi enjoys the ballet and that her arm isn't uncomfortable. That sphere of The Arts does nothing for me, somewhat like Opera.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A bright vista greets the eye here this AM. Unfortunately my attempt to fix the leaking gutter hasn't been 100% successful so that will have to be attended to. The count of u/s bath taps has gone up to 4, i.e., 100% of them. The plumber says that the type is well known for crumbling to bits inside so yesterday we ordered some from Screwfix and they have just arrived. I spent a while yesterday removing all the neat boxing in around the bath and washbasin so once the new taps are installed that has to go back and the paintwork tidied up. Together with a few other naff naff jobs SWMBO has given me, that's my day. Deep joy.

Have a good weekend people. 

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Ah Mr Hunt, a brief passage from the Rubyiat ..

Some wcholars add another apostrophe..

The moving hand writes and, having writ, moves on. Possibly cause Mr dense fog to have apoplexy!

Still raining on and off here. I may get very wet today.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullchkcr
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning jobs done and various small errands sorted.   The odour of new plum jam is wafting from the kitchen.   Doing anything to assist with the manufacturing process is well above my salary scale.   We had harvested several lbs of dark plums yesterday when a friend arrived and gave us several more lbs of mirrabelles. As the freezers are full they need to be converted to jam.   I am in favour of this process as Beth hardly eats the stuff so someone has to consume it.   It's a hard life.

As to handbrakes.   I always had fun with the air operated ones on the 7.5t box vans that I hired to move layouts.   Our village was approached by a sharp right turn at some traffic lights off a reasonably steep hill.   Hill starts with a handbrake that is either on or off were interesting.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The Rain has gone and the sun is shining, but there are a few grey clouds to be seen. Late up this morning, but I have been busy doing a few small jobs that Sheila wanted doing before the arrival of Ava. Ava will spend the rest of the day with us and walk to the Indian restaurant later as we will all be meeting there for our evening meal. James new girl friend has had to cancel due to a fellow work colleague being ill and is required to cover for them. Other than that there isn’t a lot planned. 

So enjoy the sunshine (if you have it) back later 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Aditi was left at the station, there were no queues for tickets today. As there wasn’t a frantic call to take her to the nearest Underground station I assume C2C are running as advertised. Aditi and her friend are on one of the trains that goes via Stratford and terminates at Liverpool St. Aditi really likes ballet, I did go a couple,of times to keep her company but I am glad she has a group of friends to go with now.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ah Mr Hunt, a brief passage from the Rubyiat ..

Some wcholars add another apostrophe..

The moving hand writes and, having writ, moves on. Possibly cause me dense fog to have apoplexy!

Still raining on and off here. I may get very wet today.

Baz

Not sure about adding an apostrophe Baz but a comma might be OK. Hope you aren't getting too wet; the amount of umpiring you do in inclement weather of various sorts must make you eligible for some sort of medal!

Ah, well, back to the chores.

Dave

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I'm up to speed.  and all contributions have been read, rated, and appreciated.  And of course, the usual greetings are offered to the ailing, and the celebrating, and also to anybody else who wants them. 

Apart from getting a better smartphone today was just routine.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15

Evening all, quite a pleasant day after all, hit a minor shower in Broughty Ferry when we stopped for lunch and an ice cream from the Italian café. The visit to the St. Andrews model show was successful, swapped some old tender driven engines for some cash and a very nice black 5 with sound fitted, been having a play, great wee loco even with a rather limited ez command controller, need to get a better unit for control and would you believe, when we got home I have a refund due from HMRC, I've paid too much tax(and they don't want any money or my password to return it either lol)

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a good day at the Bishops Stortford show. Didn't buy much, a rather battered Peco 009 saddle tank on an Arnold chassis and some card and foamboard offcuts. My friends young lad won three prizes in the tombola in two tries (five tickets for a £). I decided to try getting there using the A1060 from Chelmsford via Hatfield Broad Oak, a nice relaxed drive and taking not much longer than the M25/M11 route despite congestion in B-S caused by roadworks. Tea awaits, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A busy day started by returning SWMBO to A&E for another assessment of her torn hamstring - a new and worrying pain on the side of the knee has really floored her.  Allegedly it is nerve pain (although it doesn't feel 'nervy') due to swelling from the blood that is slowly working its way downhill.  Apparently 'it's a bad 'un'. 

She also has the Roomy-toyed Arthur Itis mentioned by Rick, lots of things get dropped. 

Then out for lunch after a mooch around the Manx Grand Prix paddock, very slowly and with a limp....  Lunch venue menu turned out to not be suitable for my diet so we went to another place we knew would be so.  60 mile drive for lunch, pah. 

MGP practice tonight rained off just before it was due to start. Pah again.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Andyid, I'd agree about DSG being good - when it's good!  Certainly crisper changing than a TC but I worry about clutch pack life in cars used in heavy traffic or hilly (see IoM!) places.  A friend's Ford Kuga (do you get those?) is very good on the road, but not as easy as my i30 for hill starts or its ability just to hold itself on a hill due to the 'creep'.  It'll all be academic of we go electric of course.

Berry Wiggins bitumen tanker extracted from its box (no video....) and it looks very nice indeed.  No idea how correct it is, but the overall look is very nice.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know how crisp the changes are on the Evoque auto box. It isn’t anything like the old 1,2, D automatics.  There isn’t any clunkiness present when I accelerate or slow down. I haven’t even tried it in sports mode yet.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Out we did not go.

SWMBO has been having some darker moments today.  We decided to stay home and enjoy what could be found in the fridge and freezer.  I continue to enjoy the delights of what ever is interfering with the brain-hand interface.  The left hand in particular is painful, feels as though the tendons are stuck and the finger joints are gout-bound but there is no swelling nor other symptoms.  There have been times when grip has been unreliable and the fingers just won't obey commands.  If this doesn't improve there will have to be a trip to a doctor sooner rather than later.

I shall take myself off to inspect the eyelids with a large bottle of water in the hope that matters improve overnight.

In other news I had at one stage thought I might venture as far as Salisbury Plain today for the annual Imberbus event.  London buses operate a timetabled service along military roads across the Plain centred on Imber and through locations normally closed to public access.  Since inception the majority of all workings have been covered by Routemasters with just one or two modern buses present.  This year - today - there were far fewer traditional Routemasters and a much larger number of modern buses many of which were the "New Routemaster" or "Borismaster" buses.  While these carry a plaque above the rear staircase proclaiming they are the New Routemaster and wear something closely resembling the internal colour scheme of those buses a Routemaster they are not.  So I'm happy enough that I didn't use my day riding on present-day vehicles despite the rarity of the route involved.  As usual full destination blinds were carried by all vehicles and the Bath Bus Company registered the entire operation as route 23A to comply with legislation.  I don't know why the balance of traditional to modern shifted so much this year.  It'll all come out in the wash I'm sure.

It might be early for a Saturday night but it's time to put the achy hurty parts to bed which, perforce, must be accompanied by the rest of me.  Good night all.  Here's hoping Sunday proves to be a better day.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Following a late decision last evening, Mrs mole and I went to Imber today, by service trains from Swaythling. Unfortunately my camera battery was low on charge so I didn't get many bus photos. There were at least two, possibly three RTs and several Routemaster including two open tops, also a Volvo open top and a modern single decker (didn't check the make) from Bath Bus. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening from Estuary-Land. As we were leaving the exhibition we met a fellow SEERS member. He was also leaving the exhibition and informed us that he had arrived there at eleven, the same time as us. In the three hours we were both there we never spotted each other, and the exhibition was in a single sports hall. Have to pick up a parcel from the sorting office tomorrow, as I'm expecting two parcels I'm not sure what one it is.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I have decide that taps (or faucets for those in the western colonies) are the invention of Satan. Having had all those in the bathroom go u/s in various ways and just begun to sort them out, the mixer one in the kitchen is now leaking like a sieve around the base. As Victor Meldrew would say, "I do not believe it!!"  I did suggest to SWMBO that we could get by with the outside taps and a bucket but apparently that isn't a good idea. Tomorrow will therefore more than likely see another visit to the tap emporium.

At least I managed to fix the gutter by the front door properly (he states with crossed fingers until the next downpour).

What I forgot to mention this morning, of course, was that chores would have to go on hold in favour of watching a rugby match this afternoon. It did nothing for my state of joie de vivre. I can hear the triumphant roar of an approaching happy pachyderm as I type.

Time for a restorative measure of distilled Scottish medicine to put the world back on an even keel. Highland Park tonight I think together with a cracker and some La Rustique.

Wishing everyone a peaceful night with thoughts and prayers for those afflicted, especially Mr. & Mrs. NHN as well as Rick and Mrs. Rick and John & Sandy.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16