The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - up bright and early as off to Ally Pally with eldavo. Having fun is hard work, still recovering from a day driving at the Mid hants Spring Gala. I had quite an interesting variety of engines during the day, starting with U class 31806, then on to 9F 92212, finishing up on Black 5 45379. The sun mostly shone, loads of punters, all in all a good day. The atmosphere when we got back to shed in the evening was amazing, 8 engines in steam, just getting dark, all the hustle and bustle of disposing of engines after a day's work - just like a proper shed (depot for our transatlantic readers)!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Overcast and quiet at the moment, but we may yet head out for a walk later on. Council elections today, so the polling booth's calling as well.

Have a pleasant day, guys... :)

Got back from Church half way through the F1 so did not logon here but watched until the end of the race.

Very disappointing ending to both our Cricket teams campaigns :(

Lovely cool but bright day!

Have a good one all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Grey sky here. I don't know how warm it is as only Robbie has been out this morning.

I watched a bit of the GP but didn't seem to have the enthusiasm for more. I'm not going to Ally Pally this year. If I had gone it would have been today but a family visit is taking place here today. The public transport weekend workings would have made the journey interesting though. I'll see some of the layouts at Leytonstone soon though.

Tony

...but sudden, violent death seems to be.

You're right, Phil. That never happens in Britain. Violence in the USA is usually personal (people who know each other). It's rarer to have a random, senseless acts of violence against strangers - which is what I used to find scary about London.....

Terrible extensive coverage on TV here of "riots" in London. Blown out of proportion, I hope.

Had an interesting day at the New York Society of Model Engineers - though I did have more fun at The Model Railway Shop in Piscataway, New Jersey later in the day.

You have a nice day, guys. Pete.

What "Sudden, violent death"?

Sorry I was using a bit of irony there. Latest reports indicate that New York is one of the safest cities in America - and may in fact be safer than London. You can make statistics say anything but even when NY's murder rate was very high it was usually connected to other forms of criminal activity (i.e. if you buy drugs you are more susceptible to being shot dead). Sudden, violent death is not limited to firearms it's just that in the UK only the Police and Criminals actually "own" handguns.

If I was still living in the UK with my family - I would use all the force available to me against an intruder (rather than waiting for the Police to turn up). I'd rather have my family and I alive and the intruder dead and me facing potential criminal charges instead of the other way around (or worse). It is one's ultimate responsibility.

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

No Pete. I fully understand where you're coming from there and I think as long as you could stand up in court and justify your actions in the way you've outlined, you'd stand a good chance of walking out still a free man. To be sure, the main random violence seems to come from drunken morons on a weekend night with support from the mentally Ill (largely triggered by drug abuse in the bulk of cases I'm familiar with). That's another gripe. Once upon a time, people with serious mental health problems lived in institutions which although far from perfect in many cases provided a degree of protection for both the public and many vulnerable afflicted people who are these days entrusted to the poor joke that is 'care in the community'. A measure that in my opinion was introduced purely for fiscal reasons.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thank God all that is over!

Well I have finally had all my university interviews and have come away with 3 conditional offers! With those plus my unconditional at Portsmouth I am very happy. Now comes the hard bit - deciding which one to go for. unsure.gif I think I'll give it a day so I can mull over all the options. So apologies to those of you who have PM'ed me recently for not replying, I will sort that out after lunch!

What a lovely week it has been weather-wise. Long may it continue please cool.gif

Oh yes, and I am currently entering a competition at our college for a redevelopment of 'The quad'. At the moment it is just a gravel area with a canopy over a walkway on one side. My plan involves decking, plants (including a herb garden) and a central 'hub' which is a kind of bandstand. I have no idea if they are going to like it, but I have put a lot of effort into it so far! I'll show a plan if anyone is interested later.

Thank God all that is over!

Well I have finally had all my university interviews and have come away with 3 conditional offers! With those plus my unconditional at Portsmouth I am very happy. Now comes the hard bit - deciding which one to go for. unsure.gif I think I'll give it a day so I can mull over all the options. So apologies to those of you who have PM'ed me recently for not replying, I will sort that out after lunch!

What a lovely week it has been weather-wise. Long may it continue please cool.gif

Oh yes, and I am currently entering a competition at our college for a redevelopment of 'The quad'. At the moment it is just a gravel area with a canopy over a walkway on one side. My plan involves decking, plants (including a herb garden) and a central 'hub' which is a kind of bandstand. I have no idea if they are going to like it, but I have put a lot of effort into it so far! I'll show a plan if anyone is interested later.

Plan?? We're expecting a 1/76 scale model complete with the full architecture of the surrounding buildings! ;)

Congratulations on the Uni offers. Take your time and go with your heart. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just got logged on after getting back from my short break in Herefordshire - totally exhausted, and managed to bring home a large collection of railway and aviaton books, and now I have acquired more than I've got rid of recently - prize purchase was a full years' worth of "Trains Illustrated" for 1952 for eight quid - very interesting to read through the motive power changes and to see that new steam locos were still being introduced and had yet to be allocated to their sheds.

Gordon it's all been said already, but my best wishes for a reduction in the pain - I know how it feels to live from one dose of pain killer to the next.

Jam great to hear about your Uni places - choose based on academic record rather than social facilities - you wind up with more chance of a degree that way!

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike, that made me laugh! I have spent a good 7 hours doing this 3D visualisation though:

post-6776-0-49735800-1301230107_thumb.png

post-6776-0-69430600-1301230205_thumb.png

post-6776-0-32865300-1301230237_thumb.png

I have also done a PP presentation and a couple hand-outs.

And thanks Mike and Stewart for the advice about uni - it is certainly given me food for thought. I have narrowed it down to two so far.

Guest Max Stafford

I like that visualisation, Jam. It's rather Roman looking.

Well done about your offers and like Stewart says, make your choice based on what will help you achieve the best.

Dave.

No Pete. I fully understand where you're coming from there and I think as long as you could stand up in court and justify your actions in the way you've outlined, you'd stand a good chance of walking out still a free man. To be sure, the main random violence seems to come from drunken morons on a weekend night with support from the mentally Ill (largely triggered by drug abuse in the bulk of cases I'm familiar with). That's another gripe. Once upon a time, people with serious mental health problems lived in institutions which although far from perfect in many cases provided a degree of protection for both the public and many vulnerable afflicted people who are these days entrusted to the poor joke that is 'care in the community'. A measure that in my opinion was introduced purely for fiscal reasons.

Dave.

Thanks, Dave.

You heard about that infamous "home invasion" in Connecticut? Two parolees rush a house and take the family hostage (sending the Mother out to get cash from the bank - in fact it was the smart teller who alerted Police despite the Mother keeping schtum at the bank). The Police sit outside the house for half an hour awaiting overwheming force - during which time the felons rape and kill the Mother and her two daughters then set fire to the house. The husband was "bruised". How could he live with that? Or the Police?

Btw Was it the French anarchists causing trouble in London yesterday?

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Well, according to an anarchist mouthpiece on the telly today I'm a violent thug who deserves all he gets because of my job. Funny, but I didn't see any cops looting or throwing thunderflashes with scrap metal taped to them. Why give these scum the oxygen of publicity?

Vicious thugs eh? Yeah, try coming out with that one in Pyongyang and see how far you get, pal!

Dave.

Morning lads....Been kicking around the site since 04.30, so it's nice to hear from the usual suspects. :)

I wonder what Monday has in store?

Sometimes it doesn't pay to search the Internet. Just the thing you need to read before going in for surgery, particularly when it's the same hospital and same surgeon who is treating me....:rolleyes:

Just what I needed....

http://www.getreadin..._led_to_tragedy