The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all.   Gosh, matters arising! 

81C, I appreciate your kind thought but having had one Fiesta I would never have another. I just could not get on with it and its fundament design fault, which was that I could not see the speedo through the steering wheel, was a bit of a drawback to say the least.   When the time came to replace it I touted it round the dealerships in Bedford.  The Ford dealership was very despondent.  When I told the guy there what the VW dealership had offered me he said “Bite his hand off!”  My current Polo is my fourth and is the only one to give me any trouble.  I like the idea of escalating the matter and will work on that when I am feeling better.

I am a member of the AA BUT my membership is suspended because I have breakdown cover as part of my VW service contract.  The problem is that the brakes jam on when the car has been stationary for a long period.  The first time was three and a half weeks when I was out of the country, and the most recent was when it had been on a campsite for nine days.  AndyID, my Polo is pure manual.  It is the handbrake that is seizing on – it did it again yesterday morning.  Your workaround is worth trying – thank you.

Barry O, I hope that Dr Eldest Herbert enjoys Manchester Pride.  I should think that the music will be better than at Pride Cymru, for if last year is any guide it couldn’t be much worse.  Cardiff relies on tribute acts, or did last year when the same woman impersonated both Cher and Amy Winehouse!  I’ll give Manchester some thought for next year but I don’t know Manchester as well as I do Cardiff and travel there appears to be more difficult.

Yesterday the third BT engineer turned up to fix my broadband.  The current theory is crosstalk, which involve replacing some wires and climbing a pole to do it.  Unfortunately Craig the engineer is not allowed to climb the pole without a hoist so one must be procured.  This is beginning to sound like experts disagreeing with other experts but why should I mind as long as the bl**dy thing is fixed??

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Hand brakes sticking on, are a common problem when left that long in a damp atmosphere.. it's called rust.. I don't think there will be a solution.. We've had it occasionally on different cars. It used to happen to everyone in Saudi when we lived on the coast, and went home for our fortnights holiday every 15 weeks. The Answer is to find a way of parking with the brakes off..

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

A poor nights sleep of three pieces but with long awakes ...

Dull over cast, with no wind  but a hint of blue in some places.. 

New Windows ten update last night ,   it took an hour.... that's on a quad core machine with a 256Mb SSD. I'm dreading updating SWMBOs lap top.. I've had to order a new psu as she can't find it and so the laptop hasn't been updated for some time...

Time to go see if the second Major system has passed it's cross check... The Boss has not come back to me about the first one yet.. when I left he was looking puzzled...

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Last day of the festival. Looks like it will chuckitdarn shortly. Pah!

May mean an early dart for home.

Chris the seizing brakes can sound awful but the fine surface rust should disappear within a coupls of wheel turns. A mate of mine decided a squirt of WD40 would suffice.....wrong!!!!

Having been here for 4 weeks I now know what is going wrong in English cricket...

1  some of the coaches are carp

2  the ECB has lost the plot

Not much I can ro about either but the teams this week have listened to the umpires and no longer run down the wicket, bowlers no longee run onto the wicket while bowling and..the quickee you bowl the ovees the more mistakes the batters make.

On a different note her indoors said we had a hedgepig in the garden last night.  Hopefully it has found somewhere to stay.

Have a great day.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morni g all from a sunny but still cool Charente.  The meal/drinkathon went well yesterday  many mussells were sacrificed to a good cause. Beth even managed to navigate home without assistance.  Some eyelid inspection did take place.  Lots happenning today. Eric the grass is due to cut the bulk of the weeds. I will be cutting the remainder with the little Honda. I also need to finish fitting the permanent flyscreen in the upstairs bedroom. 

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Mawning from a cloudy and noisy NEHerts where it is dry at the moment. BP taken, muggertea downed, ablutions done and about to load up on calories before heading up the M1 to perform a measure of the g-word and get the boiler serviced / repaired. Back later, hopefully still free-wheeling and rust-free (but I am not too optimistic on that front).

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Wet, as in very wet, down here in the far south west .

I can see the old milk trains being replaced with water trains bringing your excesses to The Capital soon - perhaps even steam-hauled given the lack of electricity on Fridays now! :mocking_mini:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Unfortunately Craig the engineer is not allowed to climb the pole without a hoist so one must be procured. 

Chris, that probably means that it is what is known as a "D" pole (D for decayed) which means that it is unsafe to climb - if you check the pole, it may have a plate in it in red with a D in white - it may also have a label on it with with 1024 on it indicating that it is due for replacement.  Or it may be that the pole cannot be climbed for other reasons.

Morning All

Just a quick visit to offer generic greetings - now I need to get on as matters domestic are calling.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning, wet and windy here, not a good day at all.

Andyid  There are VW's in the UK that use the very same 'box as the Fiasco Fiesta.  VW are better at burying the issues!  IIRC John Cadogan who is an Australian guy that does amusing car stuff on yotoob has said they are in Aus too.  A shame as neither are bad cars, just the auto box  is crepe.

Andyram, that is an issue we are familiar with, but our software won't allow the sale to be made as it is out of stock.  The green Bachmann 37 with SYP is the usual one, it is a Google issue, it won't 'forget' that one page from over two (three?) years ago.  It doesn't even exist in our software as a 'not viewable on tinterweb' page, indeed it is from an earlier version of the whole thing entirely! 

Off to the bike club...in the car..soon, and then off to collect new specs and lose a kidney and three legs to pay for them.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s chuckinitdarn here in northwest England and by the size of the puddles in the back garden, it has been for some time. As it’s Friday that means I’ll shortly be setting off for the Trafford Centre, but I’ll call in at Asda first to pick up a few items that Sainsbury’s no longer stock. My return trip will be via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie each for dinner. After that I’m not sure what’s planned, James and Amelia aren’t coming round tonight, the whole family are meeting up at a local Indian restaurant for my pre-birthday celebration. I’ve booked a table for 13 as James will be bringing his new girlfriend, I hope she can cope with all the madness. My birthday is on Sunday and it will be my 3rd - 21st birthday. 

Back later 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Oh, Robert the B-Max was the 1.4L 16v twin-cam one, not an Ecoboost.  It was dire.  I avoided the Ecoboost for the overheating issues you mention, which were in the news at the time.  A friend has a Fiesta with the 100hp ecoboost, I find the 3 cyl engine quick but a little rough, or even a lot rough.  My i30 is a 1.6 diesel auto and despite the torque converter box (6 sp) is more economical than either and goes quite well.  My Focus was a 1.8 TDCi and better than either engine wise, but the car itself was not a match for comfort, and bits often fell off.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Dry, but surely going to be wet, very, with sound and light effects later, according to the forecast.

On leave, clearing up, time to attack the kitchen. Hope it doesn't fight back too much.

Now started to get wet

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all, dull here now but yellow rain is on the way, apparently.  That might affect my plans for today, if I had any.  A trip to the storage unit to collect some books to sell may happen, but as it involves walking to the bus stop it will depend on the intensity of the precipitation.  See, my life is so dull ATM that I exercise my internal thesaurus for entertainment.

Time to list some more vintage Marvel comics; Fantastic Four today.

Have a good day,

Pete

• Like 15

Morning, chuckinitdarn here too, not too windy and is forecast for the whole weekend, going to the St Andrews model exhibition tomorrow, could do without the wet really as SWMBO will be on walkabout whilst I'm in the town hall, if she spends more time in shops dodging the rain it could be an expensive day out lol.

Cars are a funny old subject, ones mans meat is another's poison and all that, I was a maintenance engineer in a car factory for 12 years, didn't half hear some tales from employees of other manufacturers who we head hunted most of their staff.

I used to have a penchant for classic cars, " exotics" that were famous for unreliability, the rule was if it started at home(which really was a lottery), then you did not turn the engine off until you got back home again, I remember an owners club meeting in a pub where half the cars engines were left running on the car park. My favourite cars were my old Aston Martin V8, 5.3 litre and around 10 mpg, so perhaps not my most practical car, another was a my Mitsubishi Shogun sport, not that lively and not that much more economical either despite being a diesel tractor, still only did around 20 mpg. Most reliable cars owned were a Lada Riva estate(my first brand new car I purchased after the Mkiv Cortina died), and any of the Japanese cars I have owned, I've had 7(all brand new ones, so perhaps you'd expect them to reliable as they were all changed at 2 years old). I currently have a Mitsubishi ASX 1.5 petrol with a manual gear box and 2 wheel drive, if I leave this parked on a slope for more than a couple of days facing forwards down the hill the hand brake sticks on, if I park it facing up the slope the hand brakes fine...….??

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Wet and breezy in Hipposhire too. Nothing really worth reporting today - merely replays of what's been going on before. Boring and tiresome. Have a good one yourselves.

Dave

I left it behind, just for you.

However, I bought the rest with me so as not to disappoint my mother.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still dry but clouding over here in Estuary-Land but predicted to have gone by tomorrow morning. ChrisF, as Q said the sticking handbrake is caused by rust. Modern brake linings and pads are made from compressed iron oxide, rust to you and me. As stated in damp conditions and if the car has stood for some time with the handbrake on the pads will stick to the discs. This happens on my car, I only need to let the clutch in slowly in first gear to free them (usually with a clunk) and then as I'm pulling away gently apply the footbrake to 'clean' the discs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4