The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Never heard of fiery jack until today...…………………………………………..

We have rain, but little wind, seems we have a severe flood warning for the area, luckily I chose to live on top of a hill just in case such events might happen, we might get blown away, but we shouldn't get too wet.

SWMBO is off with pals to a health spa, so whilst the cats away the mouse just bought a nice A4 for the layout and did some 6mm grass laying, have to say for the most part I am pleased with the effect.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Tree dispatched to the log store, shame as it was a good fruiting apple, but it was right in the way of the new extension. Found that the actual stump is under an existing concrete path, and it had just been pushed over at some point and re-established itself upright over the years.  It seemed quite old.

Horrible cold windy day here now, 16c but at least its dry.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I remember someone at school spilling a bottle of Fiery Jack on part of his anatomy....

The fullback of a rugby team I used to play for was an arrogant, obnoxious individual and everyone was really quite relieved when without any warning he left.  The story then went round that he had taken umbrage and departed when someone put Fiery Jack in his jockstrap but no-one ever owned up and the tale was never confirmed. I hope it was true though....

Unlike NHN's part of The Rock, here in Douglas it isn't particularly windy and is cool rather than cold. Jill and I have been for a nice stroll along the prom with a couple of stops for coffee (without mishaps) and she is presently doing a bit of eyelid inspection while I wander up to the station to watch the trains.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 15
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

Boat work,  this was mostly glassfibring the cockpit sides,  including from outside the cockpit,  up over and inside to ensure water doesn't get into the cockpit sides which is an important part of the strength of the boat.  The biggest problem was that working from inside it was just the wrong height for my back. It got extremely painful.. 

Once done I started work on the new arrangements for supporting the boat, which needed some concrete blocks moving while half working under the boat. My back screamed NO!!! 

So I retired to the sofa for another eyelid inspection.. 

A good inspection, a Muggacoffee and pink pills  later.  I returned to the boat added and moved blocks. 

Then the woodwork was altered,  originally,  there were two parallel beams running fore and after 12inches apart under the boat along with beams all round the hull and on deck to keep it straight when I cut out the middle and jacked it together.. 

Now the beams are 25 1/2 inches apart,  because I had some spare wood that size from the previous framework.  That will allow clearance for the keel to be fitted. 

So next week  I've some woodwork to do for the chair fitting,  then it's sand,  fill,  paint.  First the inside then the cockpit sides,  then the deck. That will take a few Sunday's,  once done, I Jack up the boat to about 4ft clearance,  to allow for keel fitting.  That will also allow me to paint the hull and fit the rudder.

While typing this I've been messengering with my sisters.  With my parent getting frail, they need assistance. My great niece,  starts secondary school this year,  so my niece was going to restart full time work.  We've been discussing paying my niece to do home help,  she's been doing a lot anyway,  so it will just be more organized.. 

I think it's time for another  eyelid inspection,  if I can find enough of the sofa,  with Ben the Border Collie  taking a large bit.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a good day at the bus rally, though the buses were outnumbered by the cars by a wide margin. I wish I'd taken my camera as there was some very interesting vehicles including a cold war era Tatra with an air cooled V8 engine in the boot. Managed to find an unusual second hand book, a 1964 SNCF rail atlas. My friends young son certainly enjoyed himself, one of the bus companies were giving away free frisbies, quite interesting when he threw it into the wind. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A compilation video of some of the regatta  mostly concentrating on the children's classes. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My friends young son certainly enjoyed himself, one of the bus companies were giving away free frisbies, quite interesting when he threw it into the wind. Thats it for now, be back later.

Will the Frisbee be back later? 

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The fullback of a rugby team I used to play for was an arrogant, obnoxious individual and everyone was really quite relieved when without any warning he left.  The story then went round that he had taken umbrage and departed when someone put Fiery Jack in his jockstrap but no-one ever owned up and the tale was never confirmed. I hope it was true though....

As a rather charming front row forward, I used to cover my ears and cheeks in Vaseline before a match, and then add a thin layer of Deep Heat over the top of that.:angel:

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know anything about games involving hot unguents myself but Sid, a mature student on my PGCE course had an unfortunate incident. At the end of the term he was asked to be on the staff team for the annual school v staff rugby match. I suspect his scarred brow and odd ears gave them the impression he had played before. Nowadays I suspect he would have been compared to Shrek in appearance. Anyway while in the scrum an opposing child thought it would be funny to apply some heat generating cream to Sid’s face and eyes. Apparently according to some reliable witnesses the unpleasant child left the scrum vertically. The headteacher was not amused and said the incident would be entered on the teaching practice report. 

Tony

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Evening all, just watched the highlights of the game at Twickers, wasn't expecting that result, no doubt next weeks game will be a tad more feisty, especially if Ellis Genge is playing again, Tigers seem to have a knack of collecting feisty props lol.

Spent a few hours constructing the first half of the lifting bridge section on the double doors into TOSH, it looks good, just screwed and not glued yet as modifications required. I saw on someone's layout that the hinges are mounted on blocks to increase the clearance when lifting, at 2 inches I think I've over done it a bit, so I will halve the height tomorrow.

It has rained almost all day, hope the floods aren't too bad for those who maybe less fortunate.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

There seems to be a deafening silence from Hippoland about the rugby game near Rick's home.

Jamie

That wasn't a rugby game, it was a clusterfuggle.

But despite all the running back and forth by both sides, they both ended up with three tries apiece. In the end, it boiled down to England's superior kicking.

The drop goal was outstanding.

It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement when Wales play the return leg next Saturday, for which the Obergrumpenfuhrer and I have tickets.  Which are in my coat over by there.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Everninkawl

The KZmobile got thoroughly washed between here and Kidderminster on our outward journey and the extensive surface water was sufficient to wash the wheel arches too. Our friend’s gathering was held without meaningful precipitation so he and we got away with that. The journey back was far less wet but by no means dry. A muggertea was desperately needed on our return home but SWMBO even left that to her chauffeur.

I was pleasantly surprised by the result from near the Land of Strawbs, I had expected a close match with a red win. Time now to see how the first decider in the PGA Fedex cup finishes.

• Like 15