The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade as 'lay in Sunday' has been bought forward a day. Bright sunshine at the moment but blowing hard, there was a lot of rain last night but the wind has dried things out nicely. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

So sorry to hear of Jill's fall, Dave - I think I  heard the ambulance as we were in Peel (not at work - Friday :-)  ) in the morning. Glad the meal was good, we're out for one tonight at one of the north's hidden gems of an eaterie  - Rosa's - you have to know about this one as it is a bit hidden despite being on the TT course.

Stewart, thanks for the B12 comments, I won't have the test for a while as it is in with my next HbA1c but will discuss supplements with my GP if I need.  A friend has injections quarterly I think, on (Manx) NHS from the same surgery.  I'm T2 but have reached non-diabetic levels (41) with diet and exercise, my pancreas is still 85-90% working and I'm not badly IR.  Yet.

Edited by New Haven Neil
Speelin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

The slightly tricky bit

shopba2.png.ebe9f7d6599955d8520bb0492baad5dd.png

In the best train-set tradition it's really just a double track oval with a terminus in the middle and a reversing loop. Lots of bits to be added like additional tracks at the terminus, carriage sidings, engine sheds, goods facilities, etc etc. I was going to make it multi-level but I came to the conclusion I'd never see it running if I tried to do that.

Wiring that lot up is going to be interesting to say the least!

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

Dave, sorry to hear about Jill, I missed that post when skim reading yesterday.   yes female priorities are very different to male ones.   the T*rd's wife is more concerned that people may see the marks from the insect bites, than whether she can eat a good meal.   Of course she has "nothing to wear" as she has no long sleeved shirts with her.   Beth has donated one.   

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Aha me 'earties, tis almost the end of the forenoon watch. Just posting an update before I go and ring eight bells and stump up some food for that bl@@dy parrot that perches on my shoulder and pecked out my eye. For those under canvas, batten down the hatches and be safe!

Weather grey, very windy, it was wet overnight etc. but no power cuts thankfully. Magnificent Seven were unaffected by any meteorological events until they were driving from Stansted when torrential rain engulfed them and the roads. Happily they returned safely and hungry so the meal prepared for them was rapidly demolished.

Minimal plans today, perhaps a little gentle g-word, some watching of sport involving both an odd-shaped ball and one of 1.68" diameter. I shall try and avoid yet more noise news broadcasts in order to preserve my sanity. "We" will need to purchase some sort of celebratory bottle to take to a friend's event tomorrow and we also need to buy some eggs as her cake-making for Thursday's visitors has precluded any subsequent Full-English or lesser variants.

Laters......

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up on a work break.

Happy belated HA to Mr & Mrs DH and commiserations for Mrs DH doing a GDB.

Busy couple of days off.

League golf on Thursday  - payed well, but our opponents played more well...…. And afterwards, I found out that one of opponents is a model railway enthusiast.

My first home league loss in about 15 months - at least the team won 4 matches to 2 for a 8-6 points score.

Friday was a doubles knockout semi-final.

Heavy overnight rain had threatened to postpone our game, but it relented enough and the waterproofs were off after 3 holes and shorts and shirt thereafter

Playing against two very good golfing buddies of mine - we always have some sledging friendly banter and this started last weekend on our normal weekend threeball and continued for yesterday's game.

On the first tee, my doubles partner asked how the team had gone on the day before and they gleefully admitted to their pairs wins, whilst two sides had lost - looking at me...……….

We never got our noses in front for the round, but just about hanging on and keeping the score down.

But we found ourselves needing a bit of resolve when we found ourselves 2 holes down with 3 to go.

Standing on the 18th - all square...….

Due to the handicap system, both sides had one player with a shot on the last

It's a long par3 and we were all on the green for 2, but with the non-shot players a bit nearer.

One of them putts from long range and the best he's going to get is 4 for a nett 3.

As it's now our turn to putt (now we're the team furthest from the hole), even though I'm nearer the hole, I elect to putt first (my partner's putting can sometimes be a bit suspect) and just miss the 3, but it is conceded for a 4. Then my partner putts from 20 feet away and it disappeared like Luke Skywalker's missile on the Death Star down the hole.

I just quietly said "3 nett 2"...……..

A stunned silence fell as our opponents then realised that they couldn't equal it and it was game over.

Afterwards, one of our opponents was considering that my partner was likely to 3-putt from that distance (which was bit rich, seeing as they'd put three 20-or-so-footers in during the round...………)

Bragging rights will be mine on our next weekend threeball……..

I will use the phrase "snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory" when we next meet.

Long may the banter continue.

Yesterday afternoon was session 4 on relaying the drive with another 20 or so flags relaid.

It's taking a bit longer than planned as I ended up lifting more slabs than I thought would be necessary.

Co-codamol was my friend last night.

Persisting it down here in the Southern uplands of the Yorkshire Dales.

I may not go out to photograph the yellow HST which is due soon.....

Have the rest of a good Saturday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

It is rather blustery here. I did an inspection outside earlier. I couldn’t initially work out what was on my dustbin but I then realised it was the rear reflector   from a neighbour’s tv aerial. 

Aditi informed me that all is well in Enfield. I will at some time be sent a shopping list. Aditi’s uncle will be arriving from California at breakfast time on Monday. He originally was going on a Rhine rivercruise but cancelled the holiday as his wife was too ill to travel. However he decided to keep the UK visit part. This has meant Aditi cancelling and uncancelling various things for MiL. 

Aditi’s sister has been arranging taxis for their uncle’s arrival, having cancelled them just before she set off to Stuttgart. They must have managed to get a cab for themself to Tübingen as they posted a photo of BiL (Ian) and Magda ( their son’s girlfriend) eating cake in a cafe looking very content. 

Tony

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Wiring that lot up is going to be interesting to say the least!

Interesting wasn't quite the word I had in mind ;)

Reversing gets a bit complicated but there will be train detection on the loop that simultaneously reverses the controllers and swaps the polarity of the track feeds to those sections.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Reversing gets a bit complicated but there will be train detection on the loop that simultaneously reverses the controllers and swaps the polarity of the track feeds to those sections.

Presumably the terminus layout has yet to be developed?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Late on parade, but all posts have been read and rated.

Well, the deed is done, and on Tuesday I become the owner of a 3 yo Seat Ibiza with only 19k miles on it.  It seems to drive OK, and is in very good order.  And for once, I have not bought from a main dealer, but from the garage where I've been going for years for all my services, MOTs and repairs.  I probably saved about a grand on what I'd have paid at a main dealer, and this garage is a very rare beast - they're honest.  I wasn't going to go there at all, as I had my eye on a 2.5 year old Kia, but I decided to go past the garage anyway, and there it was just sitting waiting to be bought - so I did.   I got a fair shake on the Peugeot, and now have avoided the potential bills for having the clutch, cambelt, and brakes done.  It's done 84k miles, 50k with me, so it has served its purpose,

Generic greetings to the ailing and the celebrating.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 19

6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Me and my big mouth!

Just back from Yapton where, unusually, the train came to a controlled halt. Driver announced he'd watched ahead as a large tree decided to lay down across the tracks. Eventually reversed wrong line to Barnham as did the Littlehampton - Bognor shuttle (on the other side of the tree) to Ford.

Bought less at Tes coughs ex press than was on my list as bit more expensive but at least I'm back home from the journey to nowhere and back!

Meanwhile, Notwork Fail are sharpening their hack saws, hopefully, to clear said obstruction.

Tree down at Yapton; Eastern West Sussex cut off!

4 hours later, trees (two as is reported!) reclined across tracks removed so made another attempt to complete the Chopin Liszt and was successful. Videoed the affected portion of line but couldn't see anything obvious in either direction. Will review the videos and also look out on my similar journey tomorrow to get Monday's lunch.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 19

Show off reporting here, I grew the dinner tonight, tatties, French beans, peas and carrots...…………………………...I would have grown the pig as well but SWMBO is scared of them and I'm not allowed one...……………………………..lol

• Like 5
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Been dry today but very windy, the forecast is the wind will fall away but mostly dry for tomorrow so the bus rally on Canvey should be OK.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Ever thought of placing the terminus on a higher level and making a bridge over the other tracks?

• Like 11

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Ever thought of placing the terminus on a higher level and making a bridge over the other tracks?

As I said, I did think of making it multi-level but thought better of it. I happen to like building complex track formations which is why I included the fancy quad diamond. It's not everyone's cup of tea of course.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

You did notice that it isn’t at the bus museum.

Yes I did, its at Waterside Farm sports centre. I intend to find out if its a one off or going to be a regular event. Its the museums 40th anniversary. They used to use the school next door for their usual event in October but the school has become an academy and is no longer interested in letting out the premises. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, AndyID said:

As I said, I did think of making it multi-level but thought better of it. I happen to like building complex track formations which is why I included the fancy quad diamond. It's not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Newcastle Central next?  A dream of mine - and it will remain a dream!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5