The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Finals day at the festival. It has chuckeditdarn all night and is doing so now. Might be an early trip home. 

Need to pack up have breakfast and...watch the rain fall...Pah!

Have a good day and hope you all don't get too wet.

Baz

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

Sleep well err. 

After packing up the buoys and a wander down to the Chinese for food,  I set to work lifting the floor of the motorboat,  then Removing the covers  of the battery boxes,  then topping up 24 2V cells with water. 

At that point I had the meal which had cooled enough to eat.. 

Then I hooked my DMM and Started battery testing,  as last time out,  the pack voltage collapsed to 30 V and the electric drive system shut down. Could I make it do it again.. No,  every cell checked out OK even with full power on pulling at the moorings,  it only dropped to 40 V after some time,  and then returned to 48v + on shut down.

So I packed away and lay on the berth to think about it, about 20:00, 23:55 I woke up.. And went to bed..  03:55 the rain arrived with the leading edge of the forecast storm. 

It's now very dull with a easterly  wind.

Last race Wednesday  a Reedling keelboat ( 20ft dinghy with a keel really)  was leaving the moorings,  and a lady broke her arm fending off a moored broads cruiser...  So yesterday her husband was on rescue boat duties instead of sailing. 

It was uneventful as far as errant motorcruisers ..

The wind was lighter than forecast,  southwesterly in the morning,  

At lunchtime the various cruiser classes set of in practically no wind,  we shortened on lot after nearly an hour.. They had travelled 400yards.. The taller masted cruisers had set off before, and did a Mile each way some taking nearly 2 hours.. 

The first afternoon race the south westerly returned,  then having tacked their way to the first mark rounded that as... The wind did a 180 and they had to tack their way back... The wind gradually became stronger to something reasonable later.. 

The last race yesterday was the water babies.. That is juniors in fixed keelboats.  Very trusting owners lend a 20ft to 25ft open keel boat to an under 16 to race.. 

Not surprisingly this is held entirely within view of the Clubhouse. 

With a running start from the Clubhouse  they all arrived at the buoy at the same time,  turned and...

All completely underestimated the effect of a 2 knot incoming tide on a keelboat.. There were so many infringements you'd need a slow-motion video to work it all out  . There was however no damage, but a fair amount of pushing off.. 

Time to finish this coffee... They might need some rescue boats if we race... 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Sleep well err. 

After packing up the buoys and a wander down to the Chinese for food,  I set to work lifting the floor of the motorboat,  then Removing the covers  of the battery boxes,  then topping up 24 2V cells with water. 

At that point I had the meal which had cooled enough to eat.. 

Then I hooked my DMM and Started battery testing,  as last time out,  the pack voltage collapsed to 30 V and the electric drive system shut down. Could I make it do it again.. No,  every cell checked out OK even with full power on pulling at the moorings,  it only dropped to 40 V after some time,  and then returned to 48v + on shut down.

So I packed away and lay on the berth to think about it, about 20:00, 23:55 I woke up.. And went to bed..  03:55 the rain arrived with the leading edge of the forecast storm. 

It's now very dull with a easterly  wind.

Last race Wednesday  a Reedling keelboat ( 20ft dinghy with a keel really)  was leaving the moorings,  and a lady broke her arm fending off a moored broads cruiser...  So yesterday her husband was on rescue boat duties instead of sailing. 

It was uneventful as far as errant motorcruisers ..

The wind was lighter than forecast,  southwesterly in the morning,  

At lunchtime the various cruiser classes set off in practically no wind,  we shortened one lot after nearly an hour.. They had travelled 400yards.. The taller masted cruisers had set off before, and did a Mile each way some taking nearly 2 hours.. 

The first afternoon race the south westerly returned,  then having tacked their way to the first mark rounded that as... The wind did a 180 and they had to tack their way back... The wind gradually became stronger to something reasonable later.. 

The last race yesterday was the water babies.. That is juniors in fixed keelboats.  Very trusting owners lend a 20ft to 25ft open keel boat to an under 16 to race.. 

Not surprisingly this is held entirely within view of the Clubhouse. 

With a running start from the Clubhouse  they all arrived at the buoy at the same time,  turned and...

All completely underestimated the effect of a 2 knot incoming tide on a keelboat.. There were so many infringements you'd need a slow-motion video to work it all out  . There was however no damage, but a fair amount of pushing off.. 

Time to finish this coffee... They might need some rescue boats if we race... 

Todays picture how to terrify tourists heading the other way.. 

IMG_20190808_154622.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

Good morning all from the boring borough. Long weekend for me. Just returned from the nearby cafe for a full English. Need the stodge to soak up the impending beer consumption. Today is the first day of the London Craft Beer Fest. Sort of like the GBBF but without the smelly sock+sandal brigade and the 4% flat warm twig soup that usually passes for real ale at most CAMRA fests. 

Congrats to Dave and Mrs Dave. After 50 years, I'm sure she qualifies for parole. 

That's it for me. Time for the bus + DLR to the East End.  I may be some time. 

Enjoy your weekend. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Dave and Mrs. H. I woke up to the sound of rain at god knows what o'clock last night and promptly went back to sleep again. Its now drying up but more rain is forecast for this evening. At least its still looking pretty good for Sunday. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The pork joint is now ready to be pulled and when SWMBO gets off the infernal telling-bone we might get to the shops. It is quite windy here now, we had rain overnight and showers this morning. Last night there was some rare police activity nearby with a hovering air-beater equipped with a strong light spending some 20 minutes over one location. There seems nothing to mark that incident now. Other notable events on the calendar today include                                                                                                                                                  so I am quietly preparing for The Return of The Magnificent Seven from their Turkish adventure early this evening. I hope the next few days' weather doesn't impact too severely on fellow ERs whatever you may have planned and particularly to those suffering or minding sufferers, best wishes.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

'Tis windy in these 'ere parts, alternating dark clouds & blue skies, but exceedingly muggy too.

You may have noticed there has been no celebratory message regarding the various lotteries today...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

'Tis windy in these 'ere parts, alternating dark clouds & blue skies, but exceedingly muggy too.

You may have noticed there has been no celebratory message regarding the various lotteries today...

It must be my turn now ……………………..lol

• Funny 16

Happy anniversary to Dave and Mrs. H

POETS, good morning :)

Quiet day yesterday, a short walk after work around the lakes here, Mrs feeling a little better, then a bite to eat at her favourite Thai place.

We're supposed to take her great-nieces to a show tonight, I'm not sure it's the best idea, but somehow she sees it as a possibility - we'll review later.

14 sunny and very pleasant first thing, managing 27 for the expected high.

POE if you can - enjoy the day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1