The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Before I could place my order they required the account number from my previous order 18 months ago. In the end I ordered over the phone.

I often order by telephone to avoid having to provide an email address. (They usually ask and I tell them "no" and the telephone agents understand.) 

There was one direct marketer (I think it was blankets) where, when I refused to provide an email address, I got some pushback about it being a required field. At that point I told them we wouldn't be doing business and hung up.

My bank irritates me. I still use printed cheques. I don't do online banking. I'm sure it's quicker and I do maintain an electronic chequebook, but for many years I had a home computer that was compromised and I didn't want my home accounting exposed to the internet so I kept that machine offline.

When I re-order checks that bank wants to send me a text message to verify my identity - utterly pointless of course since an impersonator could give them a number other than mine. I've not provided the bank my mobile phone number. In case of fraud, it does make sense for them to contact me quickly, but whenever I provide multiple numbers where I prefer to take calls, (home, office), companies with whom I have provided a mobile number always call the mobile even when explicitly told not to.

Unless I am changing a relevant particular - like my address - why do they need multiple forms of identity to send the same style cheques, for the same account, in the same sequence as before, to the same address as before, still need additional ways to demonstrate I am who I am (beyond account number, name, address, social security number)? It flusters the online banking agent when they can't send me a text. Apparently they will accept my debit card number and electronic banking login ID.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My bank irritates me. I still use printed cheques. I don't do online banking.

I do use online banking. However Aditi is in a couple of social groups (French and something arty) that still use cheques. Aditi sometimes gets a cheque from the French group. Both banks we have accounts with have closed their local branches. It is possible to pay in at the post office but a paying in slip is required. There are a few of these in each cheque book. The bank no longer seem to issue a book of paying in slips. I don’t know why the post office can’t read my debit card and accept the cheque. They are happy to give me money from my bank account with the debit card.  

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Both banks we have accounts with have closed their local branches. It is possible to pay in at the post office but a paying in slip is required. There are a few of these in each cheque book. The bank no longer seem to issue a book of paying in slips. I don’t know why the post office can’t read my debit card and accept the cheque.

US banks are heavily promoting mobile phone applications where the recipient takes a photograph of a paper cheque (using the mobile phone) to conduct the deposit transaction. Is this service available in the UK?

I do get issued paper deposit slips with my paper cheques. I never use them. There are two staffed branches nearby where (on those infrequent occasions) I need to deposit a paper cheque. The bank no longer insists on a completed paper deposit slip with in person deposits - though I can imagine why your Post Office might.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The bank no longer insists on a completed paper deposit slip with in person deposits - though I can imagine why your Post Office might.

If I go to another town with a bank I don’t need the paying in slip. The post office put the cheque and slip in an envelope and send it for processing. This seems to only add one day to processing time. I suspect the post office will make this process electronic. They took up many banking services when the big banks started rapidly closing banks. In some areas , especially rural places, Post Office closure is a big problem especially when combined with lack of public transport. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Sorry about the weather, Dave!  An odd day for sure, several complete changes of season on the west coast (work) but sunny back home (Andreas).

I love the MER despite being a steam man, the ride is so much nicer.  Having to give up Groudle hurts though.  I just heard about the Lady Isabella yesterday, some cracks in wooden parts allegedly.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

US banks are heavily promoting mobile phone applications where the recipient takes a photograph of a paper cheque (using the mobile phone) to conduct the deposit transaction. Is this service available in the UK?

Some banks do but neither of the ones we have accounts with!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have a couple of credit cards and one of the companies is asking for my mobile phone number so that they can confirm on line transactions. Problem is that I do not have a mobile phone and the only on line transactions I do are with Paypal. I do not use my current account/debit card on the internet, I have a separate account for that which currently stands at 42p. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Life is so much simpler without a bank account.  I have a building society current account (with a cheque book, and bill payment facility), a postal account into which I deposit cheques and a deposit account.  Relatively simples.  Yes I own a lump of plastic about 3" x 1" x ¼", which is an alarm clock, a mechanism to listen to The Archers when mobile and, in emergency, a means of communication.  Just don't ask me the number, I haven't a clue - and it's permanently on silent anyway.

Bill

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I do use online banking. However Aditi is in a couple of social groups (French and something arty) that still use cheques. Aditi sometimes gets a cheque from the French group. Both banks we have accounts with have closed their local branches. It is possible to pay in at the post office but a paying in slip is required. There are a few of these in each cheque book. The bank no longer seem to issue a book of paying in slips. I don’t know why the post office can’t read my debit card and accept the cheque. They are happy to give me money from my bank account with the debit card.  

Tony

I still rue the demise of the EuroCheque - printed cheque book with space to state if you were paying in DM, FFR, etc!

Isn't technology wonderful? The plastic age (eg credit cards) is invented to reduce the reliance on paper (ie cheques)! Now, we seem to be clamping down on plastic!

Where do non users of smart phones go from here? (Now that all of the children are outgrowing themselves)? (Mis-quote from the Alan Parson's Project, or is it just the games people play?! Take it or leave it.)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, BoD said:

Don’t knock the weather.

If it didn’t keep changing nine out of ten people wouldn’t know how to start a conversation.

Without the weather you might have 9 out of 10 people starting an argument instead. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Following a second win on Saturday's Thunderball, which I haven't previously mentioned as again £3.00 is hardly life-changing, I have this evening won £5.00 on the Set for Life game.

Whilst I am again not yet in a position to retire, I hope this progression in increasing returns continues, even more so that the rate of increase also accelerates.

However, when the big one lands, I will still remember all you poor people.

This becoming somewhat scary now.

4th win on the trot, once more a very small amount, but welcome nonetheless. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Without the weather you might have 9 out of 10 people starting an argument instead. 

You mean like on RMweb?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, BoD said:

You mean like on RMweb?

Someone on the non DCC power thread has innocently enquired about wiring LED lamps. That has  been known to start a full and frank exchange of views. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Busy day. No rain so full match completed. Team batting secong (Suffolk) were all out in the penulti ate o er for one less than their opponents from Cardiff and the Valleys!

Once we finished major rain moved in. I drove to deliver some stock for a running session on Sunday so missed tea and a pint in the pub. Pah!

We had a flyby from an F35. Stealthy...my ar$e...lowder than a lighrning mk6 on full afterburners! Another potential dud from the USA!

Sleep well!

Baz

• Like 10
  • Funny 4