The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Rain has stopped. Water being taken off covers. Play should start here at 10:30 ish. Rain forecàs for later..pah!

Off home after the match as I have a county Under17s girls game tomorrow. 

Have a good day everyone.

Positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

The Rain has stopped and the sun, although not visible is trying to shine. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is getting herself ready for her Zumba class. Once she’s gone I will continue working on the cellar stairs. 

Thanks for all the suggestions about the handrail, after sleeping on it and then discussing it with Sheila over breakfast, the best idea seems to be option 2 (the half length rail) as it will maintain the current width, I’ll be able to position the handrail directly over the stringer, which will then make adding spindles a lot easier too. 

Back later. 

Hi I used to install these stair parts if you are not sure post a photo and I will try to advise. Bob

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

So far the day has gone very well, having decided that option 2 (half length handrail) is the way to go, the reason I want to add spindles is it will then be in keeping with the rest of the house. So I’ve set about with the saw and the final design is basically simple and functional, the result can be seen below, 

23871274-EC94-4CDE-8EAA-1268BA89C388.jpeg.713b1b4ac48aa65af7ee9626662e0d73.jpeg

The 2 spindles in the photo are made from off cuts I found lying around and are only there to “see” how it all looked, they are nowhere near strong enough for the job. There will be 10 spindles in total, but the last 3 will steadily get shorter as the ceiling gets nearer. I’ll buy some wood more appropriate for the job next week. Once it’s all been cut and test fitted I’ll dismantle it all and give it a good sanding before painting. 

Muggertea No2 now awaits my attention. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Work is work and it looks like Brexshit will have a very large effect. Several projects have been further stalled and I've been reassigned to the Benelux group of the practice. The company is drawing up plans to "lifeboat" many UK people to their Benelux region, as demand there is outstripping available talent. 

Commuting by Eurostar and after work drinks of wicked strength??

• Like 14

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I wonder if I can authentically add one to my layout, I did after all say the date period was 1950 to the end of steam...…………………………….well it's not ended yet strictly speaking has it?)

I think that's a DEFINITE... rule #1 applies here :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5

BIN day but not for me, one less task to take care of when out-of-town.

Yesterday added three new reports to the suite and growing list of panic items.

The new Bored of Destructors having deemed the financials be presented in as many new stupid repetitive varied ways as possible !

Added to that the ever expanding IT department apparently has managed to get itself confused (wasn't really that hard :O ) and now the sys-admin (IT department employee!!) that should work on the finance department systems can't install the required PC software because they changed the admin password and he doesn't know it, as they haven't provided it to him - you can't make this sh!t up, REALLY! :jester:

Some cautious top-down driving returning to the hotel last night, weather was threatening, but held off.

Today off to JFK to do battle again, current predictions are there should be no issues and I should have a decent/on-time flight. Should even be able to "top-down" to the rental return :good:

A cooler 19 and partly sunny driving in, although expecting 30 for the high.

Sieze the carpet (I'm SURE that's the correct translation ;) )

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Commuting by Eurostar and after work drinks of wicked strength??

More likely to be a one way trip than a commute. Just wish they had an office in Haarlem or Rotterdam rather than Utrecht & Luxembourg. Already they've moved 2000 jobs to the continent and another 2000 redundancies since 06/16. House prices in the Benelux going sky high these days. 

As for the after works drinks of wicked strength, have a shifty at my last Untappd chicken. :drink_mini:

BBQ tonight. Slow smoked pork ribs and pork belly burnt ends. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Rhyl is I think the nearest seaside town to Birmingham so my father told me how he had cycled there as a teenager. I don’t think we as a family ever went to Rhyl. We did camp near Llandudno once but most of our Welsh holidays were either near Barmouth or on somewhere on the north Lleyn coast.

Tony

And there is or, rather, was also Bangor.  :D 

Alas, the beach scene gave way to boatbuilding - yachts and things but there is always the pier and we do have a carnival day fairground on the green on Beach Road opposite the port.

In the hallway outside Bangor Uni's Archives is a painting looking towards the beach with yachts and steamboats at the end of the 19th century.  The wind seemed to be blowing from the right hand side (westerly) but one set of sails always looked odd!  Until, that is, the penny dropped.  The gaff-rigged yacht was goose winging - the mainsail held out one side of the mast and the foresails out the other.  Oh, how I did hate doing that in our sailing days especially when the buoys, tide, sandbars (decreasing depth!!!!), and the like wanted to redirect our course!  Happy days!

Ray and youngest have just successfully dug up one of the supporting poles to a Victorian open porch (only the poles and beam between the two existing when we moved in).  I say "dug up", I really mean excavated as the pole was cemented into granite stones 3ft deep!  The hole must be at least 5ft across!  The pole was rescued from the concrete and clay stones with electric drill of some sort.  I have my eye on them for climbing plants down in the garden somewhere - not decided yet!  

Time for a cuppa and the G word.

Best wishes to all

_______

Polly

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

So far the day has gone very well, having decided that option 2 (half length handrail) is the way to go, the reason I want to add spindles is it will then be in keeping with the rest of the house. So I’ve set about with the saw and the final design is basically simple and functional, the result can be seen below, 

23871274-EC94-4CDE-8EAA-1268BA89C388.jpeg.713b1b4ac48aa65af7ee9626662e0d73.jpeg

The 2 spindles in the photo are made from off cuts I found lying around and are only there to “see” how it all looked, they are nowhere near strong enough for the job. There will be 10 spindles in total, but the last 3 will steadily get shorter as the ceiling gets nearer. I’ll buy some wood more appropriate for the job next week. Once it’s all been cut and test fitted I’ll dismantle it all and give it a good sanding before painting. 

Muggertea No2 now awaits my attention. 

Make sure the new timber is construction grade buy only from a good wood yard and it's free from knots, building reg's state you can not have a gap between the spindles of more than 12 cm's so child can't poke it head through, 

Glue and screw all joints use metal brackets if required, sand all square edges, again if you are not sure seek advice and the newel post would be better if it was 2" x 2" taken down to the floor and secured to it.

have fun building but don't make it a safety hazard.  Bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

More likely to be a one way trip than a commute. Just wish they had an office in Haarlem or Rotterdam rather than Utrecht & Luxembourg. Already they've moved 2000 jobs to the continent and another 2000 redundancies since 06/16. House prices in the Benelux going sky high these days. 

As for the after works drinks of wicked strength, have a shifty at my last Untappd chicken. :drink_mini:

BBQ tonight. Slow smoked pork ribs and pork belly burnt ends. 

16.1% - yep that's strong but way off Brewdog End of History!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

39 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

16.1% - yep that's strong but way off Brewdog End of History!

True but a 33cl as opposed to 2cl of EoH. Have a few tins of Sgt in the beer fridge @ 18%

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

In the hallway outside Bangor Uni's Archives is a painting looking towards the beach with yachts and steamboats at the end of the 19th century.  The wind seemed to be blowing from the right hand side (westerly) but one set of sails always looked odd!  Until, that is, the penny dropped.  The gaff-rigged yacht was goose winging - the mainsail held out one side of the mast and the foresails out the other.  Oh, how I did hate doing that in our sailing days especially when the buoys, tide, sandbars (decreasing depth!!!!), and the like wanted to redirect our course!  Happy days!

Link to the painting.  http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/pa0.htm

The giveaway was the sailor standing in front of the sail to the right of the mast.  This indicates that the aft sails are held out to starboard while the foresails are to port.  Compare this to the other yacht which has all sail to port.  The yachts are most likely going with the tide.  It would take the power and speed of steam to do well against it, especially in that wind.  Interesting that the left hand sailboat is towing its tender - quite common round here but also risky!  Something we chose not to do!  We have seen yachts and their tenders part company or, worse, get caught round lobster pot lines.  All in a day's sail...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

We had a nice lunch out. We did hear about the dodge the weather holiday our friends had in Wales. Best story though was the Beaumaris incident.  Our friend was mugged by a couple of gulls that took her ice cream . 

Since returning home I have been sitting on the sofa watching the test match.

Tony

• Like 17