The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am looking forward to hearing about their recent holiday to Wales. Apparently the weather was awful.

Our friend Liz who is Welsh  has wonderful story telling abilities.

I'm glad you clarified that with your last sentence. I started to wonder if there would be photographs shared as well.

"Here's us in Pwllheli in the rain." ... "Here we are in Harlech in the rain. The clouds were too low to see the castle." etc.  I hope you enjoy Liz's stories.

Fear not dear Cymry, Cymru is a place I should love to visit some day.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm glad you clarified that with your last sentence. I started to wonder if there would be photographs shared as well.

"Here's us in Pwllheli in the rain." ... "Here we are in Harlech in the rain. The clouds were too low to see the castle." etc.  I hope you enjoy Liz's stories.

Fear not dear Cymry, Cymru is a place I should love to visit some day.

When I was a child like many people in the Midlands our holidays were in Wales. Then my parents took us to Cornwall and eventually the west side of Scotland. The constant theme seemed to be camping somewhere that rained in the summer. 

Tony

• Like 13
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I was a child like many people in the Midlands our holidays were in Wales. Then my parents took us to Cornwall and eventually the west side of Scotland. The constant theme seemed to be camping somewhere that rained in the summer. 

Tony

And midges.

• Agree 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I grew up in Rhyl.

Only smallpox? You were fortunate. 

Rhyl is I think the nearest seaside town to Birmingham so my father told me how he had cycled there as a teenager. I don’t think we as a family ever went to Rhyl. We did camp near Llandudno once but most of our Welsh holidays were either near Barmouth or on somewhere on the north Lleyn coast.

Tony

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

When I first worked in a comprehensive school in south Essex I was one of the few teachers that wasn’t from Wales or Yorkshire. Essex used to recruit directly from teacher training colleges in South Wales. Not sure about the Yorkshire link. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Today SWMBO took the grandkids to the swimming pool but because of The Toe I was unable to join in so I stayed at home and sneaked off to the workshop, which helped put me in a better frame of mind after yesterday's medical screw-up. I vented my frustration by attacking the baseboards and hacking holes in them for the various pits to be found in an MPD. We then had a friend round to join us all for dinner, after which the kids put on a song and dance show that despite a certain lack of polish was better entertainment than most things available on TV these days.

Congratulations to the Abels. 

Have a peaceful night everyone.

Dave  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been raining on and off all day here and we’ve had lots of it but thankfully we’ve not been flooded like some areas. There were lots of sunny spells, but at times it was so heavy, it almost looked like a mist was forming. I’ve got a couple of old washing up bowls in the garden, they ere empty on Monday, today they are overflowing!

More progress has been made in the cellar, most of the day I’ve been working on the stairs. On Monday I filled in lots of holes at the rear of the hall panelling, below the main stairs. So today I’ve given it all a good sanding as well as the cellar stairs stringer that’s not against the wall. This is now almost complete, but I added bit more filler before dinner, which needs to harden off fully before any further sanding work is done. 

When the house was originally built the cellar stairs didn’t have a handrail, this is something that Sheila would like, as it would give her something to hold on to whenever she goes down there, which currently she doesn’t do. However, there are a couple of problems, adding a handrail as it will narrow the gap between the wall and the side panelling and also it wouldn’t be directly over the stairs stringer board, making the fitting of spindles a bit tricky. So I’ve got to think about how to make it look good/right as well as making it practical. I have a couple of options:

1/ have a long handrail that starts at the top of the stairs, close to the door and runs the full length of the stairs, ending at the upright post. 

2/ have a short handrail that starts halfway down the stairs, where the ceiling meets the stairs but again finishing at the bottom upright.

Starting with option 1 seemed sensible way to go, because if it doesn’t work or look right, I can always shorten the handrail and then carry on with option 2. So far I’ve cut and temporarily fitted the bottom vertical upright. I’ve also made a support bracket for the top end of the handrail, which, at the moment has been left at its full length. Once I’ve finally got my preferred option cut and fitted, I will then remove everything and refit them when all other work has been completed, as when they are in place, it will impede getting large items into the cellar and round the bottom of the stairs.

As it’s a Wednesday, we would normally have Ava, Evie and Max round for tea, but this week they are all at Ian’s Mum’s in Stoke, so it’s just been the 2 of us tonight, which was strange but rather nice too. 

Ian. Happy anniversary to you both.

Goodnight all

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, lightengine said:

A rope hand rail might be an answer Brian

Or at least a solid handrail over tensioned wire cables to protect the otherwise open space under the rail that in more traditional arrangement uses spindles.

For the balusters, Instead of wooden spindles my home uses black square metal tubes mounted between the handrail and a matching rail just above the treads. They mount into a 'pitch shoe' designed for them. (This sort of thing.) It's part of a system. I like the finished look.

This may of course, be overkill for your cellar. I do think a handrail is not only a good idea but necessary for cellar stairs.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I've just got home from my dreamy :wub: dinner date, YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :wub:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

4 + 2 + a bit of dozing this morning, Ben the Border Collie was a bit unsettled but I think it was the heavy rain and he was associating it with the thunder ad lightening although we didn't get any..

We discovered the NAS box that was attached to the router wasn't working, I think the PSU has died so I've ordered another..

On Driving in, once I'd done about 7 miles every thing was bone dry until just before work when a little drizzle impacted the windscreen..

One major system is finished, the other will go on cross checks today, I've about 3 hours work on it first.  After that there is a set of 7 shunts to do.. Meanwhile I've started clearing my lab, and there are 24 shunts on the table next to me on my, outside the lab, desk.

Friday will be mostly be spent on lab clearance, also on Friday they are removing the temporary partition screening the new lab.

They start replacing the ceiling next week.

Meanwhile i'm doing packing lists in my head, as I'll be occupying the wreak of my motorboat for regatta week, last year I forgot the sleeping bag.. I've already got the meter in the landrover for checking the battery cells, I do need a block of wood, a drill and bits  to go with the bolts so I can lift out any failed cells.. having the use of the rescue boat for the week is an ideal time to transport dead batteries back across the river... they are heavy...

Time too... head down to the lab.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12