The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I'm on line..  At home... New BT hub6, also I have a box for our neighbour,  from plusnet...

a scan of Wi-Fi shows the next nearest is also back online with talktalk.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

"quick start introduction" to SQL -

I went on one of those once, I think it was 3 whole days...

Can’t claim to have retained anything now.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon from a windy / damp NEHerts. The day began with a promising phone call from our Estate Agent (who really is nicer than a politician :D) to say that a firm offer has been received on our old house. I have subsequently studiously avoided any fields / barns / coops where any domesticated birds kept for their laying prowess are corralled as I do not wish to count them at this stage. Various Law society forms are now being updated as suggested by our very efficient solicitor rather than use the ones we completed for the previous sale that fell through.

In an attempt to take my mind off those tasks, I have booked a round of golf next week. Sadly the new owners of my club have not installed an on-line tee-time booking service, something that I didn't realise was so useful until we lost it! It being Toosday (or in someone's case Toesday), my fresh fishmonger appeared on time so tonight will be an oriental styled concoction with various fish and shellfish. I shall be free to add as much chilli and garlic as I like as SWMBO is going to have an overpriced lamb burger from that place which has a name on a pale green background and is staffed by partners. Once the inner KZ has been sustained, a stroll to the pub is in order to play cribbage. I hope we do better than the 6-2 thrashing we suffered last week. Judging by the precipitation presently driving against my window, I think that watering the beans, tomatoes and various other species will be unnecessary. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Yum... 2PM on Long Island and it's 32/RealFeel® 39, definitely pretty ugly out there when I did a brief check :O

Forecast for when we arrive in New York in September  is 25C. I suspect we will have a good idea of the real time weather by then. Only a day trip though before we sail onwards..

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Yesterday was what is announced to be the "start" of a flurry of activity given the guy who I deal with now is "24 days and counting".

Somehow they've NOW decided on wholesale changes to a slew of reports, and I'm also scheduled to install software (not REALLY my job, but the IT department are naff) for a couple of folks who may be attempting to do the temporary changes this guy used to do.

That also then entails me giving at least one person a "quick start introduction" to SQL and Crystal reports - there really is no such thing in spite of them asking if I "can"!!! :jester::rtfm:

Without some comprehensive training time spent it'll be a waste of my time, but since they pay the invoice, I guess who am I to question it. :O

Thank you, Ian!

Reading that makes me appreciate, once again, the fact that I am retired. I've had enough time (well, time and aging combined) that memories of stuff like that are getting a bit hazy and I need the odd reminder to bring back the bad memories.

As someone who, as in-house IT staff, used to get caught between users asking for impossibilities and external contractors promising them, I hope you at least put it on record that you won't be producing SQL masters in a day - manage expectations!

• Like 13
  • Agree 4

Travel by road is not what it used to be is it? I used to take my old classic out in the early hours and open it up for a bit of a play, there were a few well know "safe" tracks that were used, after trying to sleep in a travel lodge next to one of them at the weekend, they are clearly a lot busier than they used to be. We hit a mess of road works on the lower A11(M)  on the way to Braintree area and decided to give them a miss on the way north. We went to Norwich then along the A47 to collect the A1 at Wansford, hardly a vehicle in sight, much better and a nice nostalgic trip too as I used to go fishing in the Fens and Broads areas and used to go up and down the A47 every weekend. The main A1 was quite a nice route back, though I did the usual and took a wrong turn in Edinburgh, but we found the new bridge and Fife where I left them. I hope I don't have to drive in England again for a while, Scotland's roads might be around sixty percent potholes, but at least you can move on them.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'm on line..  At home... New BT hub6, also I have a box for our neighbour,  from plusnet...

a scan of Wi-Fi shows the next nearest is also back online with talktalk.. 

Hope they have strong passwords.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

17 minutes ago, BoD said:

Hope they have strong passwords.

The guy who came up with the so-called 'strong' password concept apologises:

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Bill Burr had advised users to change their password every 90 days and to muddle up words by adding capital letters, numbers and symbols - so, for example, "protected" might become "pr0t3cT3d4!". The problem, he believes, is that the theory came unstuck in practice.9 Aug 2017

Password guru regrets past advice - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40875534

Just google 'password apology'!

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

The guy who came up with the so-called 'strong' password concept apologises:

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Bill Burr had advised users to change their password every 90 days and to muddle up words by adding capital letters, numbers and symbols - so, for example, "protected" might become "pr0t3cT3d4!". The problem, he believes, is that the theory came unstuck in practice.9 Aug 2017

Password guru regrets past advice - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40875534

Just google 'password apology'!

You mean like .....

A828CCAB-BEE5-4E8F-88E8-4C9ECFCC7C1C.png.d21b58ea4e20283cac230d20a1182009.png

Not sure about their maths but the idea makes sense.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the sunshine lasted only until dinner time, when it started to rain. It then rained on and off for the next couple of hours before setting in for the rest of the evening around 8:00, it’s still at it now. 

My cousin, who used to be a school teacher, is renowned for her bad time keeping, I’ve always wondered however did she ever get to school on time? She was due to arrive here around 4 this afternoon, she finally arrived just before 6. Luckily we’d just finished eating our tea (she wasn’t intending to stay for tea) and we’d just sat down with a muggertea when the doorbell rang. Anyway, we had a good old catch up, having not seen each other for well over 18 months. Her husband had stayed at home as he isn’t quite fit enough for long car journeys (they live in Malvern) just yet. He had part of his colon removed just before Christmas after they’d found a cancerous growth and this is the first time she’s felt able to leave him for more than a day or so. He’s doing really well but does have to plan his day carefully so that he knows where the small room is, as when he needs to go, it’s usually quite urgent.  It all in all quite a pleasant evening was had by everyone. 

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Evening all. 

And it’s not an oval tavern. I’d say somewhat cubic. Also if the garden is secret how does one find it?  

897640BC-5858-4632-AA24-62EBE0603AF6.jpeg

Presumably, just follow the signs!

• Like 3
  • Funny 11