The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

How's getting up at 4am and starting work at 5? I do have one duty starting at 0459... (I live a 5 minute walk from work)

Quite normal IMHO! I'm up at 4 to drive to Portsmouth, collect some items, drive them to Newbury before 8:00, then get back home.

Back to the flat now after 13 hours - it's a long way to go for a couple of hours' meeting. And I've got to do it all again a week tomorrow... Though next Thursday's will be the 2 hour later variety of the same day... So, 8.30 train, getting back to Waverley about 8.30... Then continuing on to Newcastle as I stupidly booked the dentist in Chester-le-Street for early the next morning, forgetting I was in Inverness the day before...

Off to find food and a comfier seat than the 158 between Perth and Edinburgh. Sat facing back to direction of travel all the way from Inverness to Waverley so now feeling ever so slightly dizzy...

• RMweb Gold

If I'm awake at 4am I've either set the alarm incorrectly, or have been woken up in response to the "are you awake?" question. The answer usually being "I am now". This usually then turns into the "Shall I make a cup of tea?" query and degenerates as to who is actually going to go down!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Off to find food and a comfier seat than the 158 between Perth and Edinburgh. Sat facing back to direction of travel all the way from Inverness to Waverley so now feeling ever so slightly dizzy...

The first time I went on a HST I thought the landscape looked blurry but when I drove cars at a similar speed (legally I hasten to add) it didn't seem to be a problem. Given a choice I slightly prefer to sit with my back to the direction of travel in a train.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Why does SWMBO want to spend a fortune on christmas lights that flash and flicker when our thirty year old ones can already do that?

.....just before they blow the fuse.

• RMweb Gold

Why does SWMBO want to spend a fortune on christmas lights that flash and flicker when our thirty year old ones can already do that?

.....just before they blow the fuse.

The flashing flickering white led ones are a very good source of cheap lighting for model railways. I got enough leds for 40 US diesel locos for ??3.99 last year (Tesco special offer) Haven't seen any this year but I still don't have 40 locomotives!

I "lent" my Christmas decorations to friends 2 years ago, so last year when those same friends came to me for Christmas I had to buy new. At gift giving time I put out a black bin bag and all wrapping goes in there.

Jam, my Godson gets a 'nice' cheque, but for the others it's a less expensive present. I think I'll get funny T shirts for the kids this year, booze for the men and smelly stuff for the ladies. That means just three shops and I am done.

Chritmas is coming, my cheque book's getting thin!

please put the wrapping in the paper bin.

Evil bus driver, I'm waiting for you!

Jam, when I saw your second picture I thought I was looking at a canal!

I see what you mean by pot holes in the road in your first picture.

Rather you than me! But when I pass you in my car I'll try not to make too big a splash!

Morning All,

Haven't been around much in the past couple of days apart from my morning posts. I am currently on a technical writing seminar - yesterday's topic was "Technical English for German Speakers" :icon_lol:

Great pictures Jam - you have got quite a nice route there. I'll have to take pictures myself the next time that I head to work by bike. Roll on the Spring!

It's dark and chilly here - around 6?°C, but the cold wind from yesterday has dropped so it feels warmer.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

Oh! I do know people who carefully unwrap, decrease, fold and flatten gift wrap for re-use.

Obviously one does not re-use cards!

We have an old age home here (Nazareth House) who do cut out pictures from cards, glue them onto fresh cards and sell (with new envelopes).

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Robert is probably going to have fun with "don't force it, get a bigger hammer" and similar technical expressions.

I'm not sure about the weather here as it is still dark but I think it may be dry as Robbie's fur wasn't damp when returned after I let him out to explore the garden while I made tea.

Tony

Robert is probably going to have fun with "don't force it, get a bigger hammer" and similar technical expressions.

Don't laugh - it's not too far from the truth.

The section on punctuation (and especially comma rules) was hysterical!

To be perfectly honest though, I (re)learnt a few things too.

• RMweb Gold
Jam, my Godson gets a 'nice' cheque, but for the others it's a less expensive present. I think I'll get funny T shirts for the kids this year, booze for the men and smelly stuff for the ladies.

A great idea, that should go down well.

Jam, when I saw your second picture I thought I was looking at a canal!

I see what you mean by pot holes in the road in your first picture.

Rather you than me! But when I pass you in my car I'll try not to make too big a splash!

It would certainly prove challenging getting to college by bike on a canal, or rather through it! It's worth it just for the scenery - quaint cottages, a mill, two bridges, past an old railway station, around the marsh...

How will I know it's you? :lol:

Great pictures Jam - you have got quite a nice route there. I'll have to take pictures myself the next time that I head to work by bike.

Thanks. :) In which case I will start up a thread, not sure how it will develop but it's worth a try!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Grey and damp one again. Another day in the office looms. Not sure there is anything exciting though apart from a meeting of one of my invention groups. That frequently turns out to be an hours chat amongst friends about the things that are ticking everyone off. On occasions we do find the odd solution to a problem and have managed to patent a few ideas so it must be working generally. Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave