The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

Sorry about your cousin, BoD. Like you say, just not fair and as good a reason to never waste a minute of your life as any.

The sun isn't showing his face directly as yet here but he's up there behind a thin cloud layer which is still cheerfully bright.

I survived the bike course and to be honest although much of it was granny learning to suck eggs from my perspective it was nice to do something in the line of work which for the first time in an eternity was fun. As a bonus, I had the benefit of exploring lost of hidden an interesting corners of Manchester, some new and shiny, some old and grotty but full of interest. Getting fit in job time is an additional incentive.

We were finished for 2:30 and my oppo and I get back here and off at 4.

Afterwards I collected Abi from the Outlaws and after catching up on Extraordinary Dogs, it was time for an early bed as I was well bushed! :D

So herewe go, long wekend off. I think the garden needs some attention and so does Tony's parcel - you won't believe the lengths I've had to go to to get a decent sized box! :lol:

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I survived the bike course

Dave.

There is a photo in today's Telegraph of the police in London on Trikes! These are motorized but apparently are safer than motorbikes as they are less likely to fall over. Do you think you'll be getting pedal trikes next?

Tony

You mean you bought a new pair of shoes, Dave? ;)

Morning all! Blue skies in Edinburgh today. I have a shopping list for this morning, thankfully everything's within walking distance.

I was told yesterday at work that I'm now going to be going for a meeting next Thursday on Islay. Never been before so I'm looking forward to it. The only disappointment is that it's a flying visit, in and out the same day so no overnight stay and no chance to explore the island at all. On the bright side it should mean a return trip by air which I'll enjoy.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, It's bright and the blue stuff seems to be appearing from behind the oktas. SUpposed to be working today and have to go into the office. Only 4 days left so I better think about clearing up all my accumulated junk!

Sorry to hear your news BoD. Very sad to hear someone taken when they've only just escaped from work.

Cheers

Dave

Guest Max Stafford

Mike, I did in fact buy a new pair of bike shoes - £15 from Lidl! :D I'm having to splice it with another box though to provide sufficient length for the contents!

Hooray, sun peeking through now and Abi's getting restless to go out - she's sitting in her 'good girl' pose and looking intently in my direction. I fear I shall not be able to delay the walk much longer!

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Ultimately I had to find a bigger box in the attic as my butchery was of insufficent quality for the intended purpose.

Tony, please advise Robbie that he will be required to bark at some stage during tomorrow's procedings! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Ultimately I had to find a bigger box in the attic as my butchery was of insufficent quality for the intended purpose.

Tony, please advise Robbie that he will be required to bark at some stage during tomorrow's procedings! :)

Dave.

Thank you.

I'm sure in the future archaeologists will pondering about the meaning of boxes containing wheeled objects being sent from one end of the country to another.

Robbie is very quiet now after doorbell warning duties. Today, the Royal Mail van called twice, the pedestrian postie called and quite a few leaflets for pizza delivery or gardening services arrived throughout the morning.

Tomorrow I hope Robbie has saved his voice, as well as your parcel he needs to let me know when a CD from Amazon arrives, they seem to be using HDNL rather than the Royal Mail for CDs now. i wanted to listen to something, couldn't find it on my iPod, (isn't available on iTunes), couldn't find it in my CD collection (suspect I never bought it on cd ) and although I've got the vinyl LP my record deck requires too much effort to find the adaptor amplifier to make it work into an amplifier without phono inputs. Anyway £5 + some pence from Amazon isn't too bad.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I was told yesterday at work that I'm now going to be going for a meeting next Thursday on Islay. Never been before so I'm looking forward to it. The only disappointment is that it's a flying visit, in and out the same day so no overnight stay and no chance to explore the island at all. On the bright side it should mean a return trip by air which I'll enjoy.

What? No CalMac chips and curry sauce? :O

Or distillery visits? :(

Not worth going.

• RMweb Gold

Belated condolences BoD - I can only echo the sentiments expressed in many of the preceding posts.

I had one of those never-to-be-forgotten experiences today - I was blasted round for half an hour in this thing:

post-6683-0-16598800-1300987208_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-00663200-1300987230_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-70511100-1300987253_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-58776300-1300987268_thumb.jpg

It's an Aston Martin DBS. It's an absolutely beautiful car, very pretty to look at (the photos don't really do it justice) fantastic cabin and the acceleration absolutely beggars belief.

Oh, and the noise it makes......whoohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bloomin' eck Phil, that a beautiful piece of engineering. :)

Whose is it?....or have you won the lottery and decided to try one or two runabouts before deciding what you would like to drive?.....

Jealous?

Not 'alf....!

• RMweb Gold

Bloomin' eck Phil, that a beautiful piece of engineering. :)

Whose is it?....or have you won the lottery and decided to try one or two runabouts before deciding what you would like to drive?.....

Cor, I wish..

My neighbour (in pic) treated himself to 48 hrs with it, and took pity on my drooling over it :)

post-6683-0-50161700-1300989035_thumb.jpg

I so, so want one.

• RMweb Premium

Rabbits have been out on the balcony for the first time this year... :)

dsc05892p.jpg

dsc05899.jpg

Of course, it's not as bad when they produce, erm, dirt outside! :D Though to be honest, they normally do keep their excreta in the toilet we provided them with in their indoor enclosure.

I believe I'll build them a house some time soon, so that they'll have some shelter when they go outside in summer.

Guest Max Stafford

Oh yes, that's a real "whoops, there goes my licence" machine! Very, very nice and I don't think I could resist the temptation to take my CD with the Bond theme on it along for the ride. B)

Dave.

Morning All,

Another nice morning here - but cloudier than the last few days.

A very nice set of wheels Phil - I'd be drooling too! In fact, when I went to drop my Mini off at the garage the other day the guy was doing a radiator replacement on a TVR. Another rather nice vehicle that's a little out of my price range. The mechanic was less enthusiastic, stating that it looked nice - but that TVR stood for "Towing Vehicle Required". :lol:

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Looks gloomy outside but it's Friday so it can't all be bad.

I must be a rare beast, a bloke with no interest in cars what so ever. As long as mine goes when I press the pedal and changes direction when I turn the wheel thing I'm happy.

If it stops when I ask it to, that's a bonus.

Any ERs up because they are queueing for the latest gadgets.

A friend of mine had an original DBS V8 - in Orange! I remember doing 130mph on the A12 from Chelmsford to Brentwood 4 up, and it was comfortable in the back too......he gleefully pointed out the name of the man who built the engine on the block then about 3 months later put a con rod through it. Ouch.

Clear skies here today, in Gotham - the big weather system has left for point East across the Atlantic. There's another one brewing but it is to hoped that it will go to our south (depending on who you listen too).

I'm off to Carlstadt tomorrow for an exhibition of The New York Society of Model Engineers, all being well.

Best, Pete.

I've experienced the con rod thing.

...just after I'd disdainfully passed a lesser mortal.

That happened to me recently - I was on the Autobahn minding my own business when a Porsche went past me like I was standing still.

A few hundred meters up the road, one bank let go and the whole road was enveloped in oily smoke.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Our Chevette (our first car) spectacularly lost half its engine on the A127. Does that mean it was like some of the other exotic cars mentioned in this thread?

My main interests in cars now are similar to BoDs. It was strange that Robert had mentioned his tickover problem. Aditi arrived home last night and said her Clio was exhibiting its annual problem (fast idle when warm) that required the ECU to be reset (disconnect battery). It takes longer to reprogram the radio afterwards but it is OK now.

My present car has some similarity to the one in Phil's photos, it is black and made in England!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Brightness in the sky again.

There's no doubt the DBS is drop dead gorgeous. You're going to have to come down a notch or two on Sunday Phil if we're going up to Ally Pally in the Beetle!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Wonderful weather once again :) . Speaking of cars – "The Call" did come on Wednesday, to the end that my Clio will be replaced by a new Suzuki Alto next week. Seeing how the Clio is about to be eleven years old and would certainly have required an ever-increasing amount of maintenance, me and my girlfriend decided to replace it, sharing the cost, of course. Plus, Suzuki currently have a 2,000 € discount on all Altos :D . The dealer will get the Clio by way of a trade-in, which is good, too.

Have a good day everyone!

Guest Max Stafford

Another bright and sunny morning in the border country. For some reason I woke at 6:45 after a couple of cat-related disturbances during the night and I got up then. Breakfast had and two loads of washing done. I'll be planting my seed potatoes today and some more flower and herb seeds. I'm going to bring them on in the conservatory for a couple of weeks until the frost threat has passed. I shan't be running today as I can feel I've pulled my right achilles' slightly so I'll give it a break. In any case my left knee got a slight jarring yesterday too so I'll give them a day off and buy myself a knee support. I'll do a bit of rowing and resistance work at the gym instead - nothing major just a machine each for chest, shoulders and arms with a bit of abs thrown in for good luck.

I quite fancy a new bike for road work but it's looking hard to find a decent one for less than £300. Still, you get what you pay for. Modelling wise I think I'll have a go at building a Brassmasters Cleminson underframe for my Stove R. I'm not really happy with the Dapol undergubbins so I'll see if this solution works. Then the bottom half will be worthy of the top half hopefully.

A local butcher and deli has been running a promotion offering a free pound of Cumberland sausage with every £5 spent so I'm going to go in and buy some meat there today and claim the free sausage too! :)

No sign of that nasty package Pete's sent from the States yet so I'll be getting all my garden stuff done while the weather lasts!

Nice to see Albert and Trude making the best of the weather too! :)

Have a good day everybody.

Dave.