The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Not many oktas and some brightness in the sky. No frost either so now I'm running out of excuses for not getting moving on my way to the office! Happy Hump day all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

Quite warm, no wind and a bit of drizzle here this morning. I've been out putting the bin bags out.

I bought some stuff for insulating the garage door at the weekend so I may start that today.

Tony

Good to see Lisa again.

Our trash collection is Friday. Recycling is every two weeks.

Last week I put out the recycling bags - the wrong week - and the collector threw them back over the fence.

I thought that was a bit much as I've already mentioned it ends up in the same crusher lorry.

To make matters seem worse, they collect the Recycling Bags in a different truck (at the same time as ordinary rubbish) before unloading it all into the compactor.

It all makes work for the working man to do.

I'm hoping to get a pic. of them doing it.

Then I will own them.

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping to get a pic. of them doing it.

Then I will own them.

or questioned for suspicious behaviour (story in today's Telegraph about photographer taking pictures of Christmas lights!)

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

First off - well done to Dominik - a degree is a useful tool indeed. I never got one, and it did hold me back a bit in career development. For a while I wished I had stuck in more at uni and spent more time in the lecture rooms, and less in the bar!

Secondly - thanks to those who got back to me about my TV problems, which probably got worse today, as the digital switchover happened and I have three set top boxes to retune (again). I'm still trying solutions, but as I will need a bit of time, these will need to be done on my day off, as I'm too tired to bother after a hard day at work.

Thirdly, thanks to those who offered assistance with my frozen shoulder - the bad news there is that the Physio now thinks it has reached a stage where further treatment will not hasten improvement, and only time and strong pain killers will assist! I am looking into Chiropractors now as a alternative.

For the first time in weeks, there's only about two oktas here, and they are not leaking. Weather here has been most odd over the last few days, with yesterday bitterly cold first thing, and warming up very quickly as the day went on, winding up with strong overnight winds, and very heavy rain. It's certainly true that we don't have a climate, just weather in the UK (particularly round Morecambe Bay, which as a very strange micro climate - or possibly strange micro weather - seems to come from the shape of the bay, and the closeness of the Pennines on the other side).

Come to think of it school was like being in an Escher drawing. blink.gif

Another quiet day in Ye Olde London Towne. Another twist to the bin men is there is a post office across the street from my office. Out front there are 3 slots. Local mail, UK mail, overseas mail. There really are 3 separate bins as well. Every day at 6pm all 3 get emptied into a single bag.

Addendum: 45156, try the chiro. I've had all sorts of neck and shoulder problems that years of pain killers, anti-inflammatories, and physio has done nothing to treat. Half a dozen chiropractic adjustments and a 'tune up' every 3 weeks has made a world of difference.

• Like 1

Thirdly, thanks to those who offered assistance with my frozen shoulder - the bad news there is that the Physio now thinks it has reached a stage where further treatment will not hasten improvement, and only time and strong pain killers will assist! I am looking into Chiropractors now as a alternative.

I suggest you start looking here. McTimoney Chiropractic

I have no connection to the McTimoney Chiropractic Organisation, other than being a very satisfied customer of a McTimoney Chiropractor.

• Like 1

Morning All,

It was a tropical 8c or so here this morning when I cycled over the Gosport Ferry to my second office! it's still well covered in Oktas out there, but at least the torrential rain has stopped! Things here going well, Scout Carol Service on Monday Night so no Scouts last night and early to bed instead biggrin.gif

Work busy this morning, which is nice - I've been far to quiet for far too long now! I'm currently running a feasability study into installing a Sound chip into my Graham Farish class 158 after Christmas...

I'm with you too Jam, cycling into work yesterday in the frost and Ice was hairy!

Best Wishes Everyone!

Another quiet day in Ye Olde London Towne. Another twist to the bin men is there is a post office across the street from my office. Out front there are 3 slots. Local mail, UK mail, overseas mail. There really are 3 separate bins as well. Every day at 6pm all 3 get emptied into a single bag.

I'm sure the bottle banks are emptied into the same container as well; for the banks in the town car parks, we have to separate the individual colours whilst the kerbside collection takes the lot in one bin (open top so all the neighbours can see what you've been drinking!) They all end up in the same recycle plant!

Addendum: 45156, try the chiro. I've had all sorts of neck and shoulder problems that years of pain killers, anti-inflammatories, and physio has done nothing to treat. Half a dozen chiropractic adjustments and a 'tune up' every 3 weeks has made a world of difference.

I've just booked up to see my local Chiropractor to get my trapped nerve out on Friday. Pain killers don't seem to work with me; anything short of a general anaesthetic and I can still feel things (even my dentist gets frustrated)!

I'm sure the bottle banks are emptied into the same container as well; for the banks in the town car parks, we have to separate the individual colours whilst the kerbside collection takes the lot in one bin (open top so all the neighbours can see what you've been drinking!) They all end up in the same recycle plant!I've just booked up to see my local Chiropractor to get my trapped nerve out on Friday. Pain killers don't seem to work with me; anything short of a general anaesthetic and I can still feel things (even my dentist gets frustrated)!

Its a joke at times. When we were in Lewisham Borough it was one big bin for all recycling. Any plastic from 1-5, bottles, tins, paper, etc. Now in Bexley we have to separate everything, only certain plastic containers even if we have other plastics of the same recycle type. We now throw out more plastic than we recycle.

One tub for limited plastic, one for glass and tins, and one for paper. No doubt they all end up in the same place. I understand it comes down to the private recycling contractor each council uses.

I have the same thing with pain killers. They have very little effect. The dentist has to unload at least 4 full shots to get me partially frozen. You wouldn't be left handed perchance?

• RMweb Premium

Lancaster's recycling is also a bit of a nightmare.

One box for tins (clean only), and cardboard (must be cut down to fit the box).

One for glass (must remove the stoppers particularly plastic ones) and paper (not shredded and also no large items like Argos books or phone books unless broken down and the covers removed).

One for plastic bottles only (and then only certain types and without the stoppers - oh and must be crushed).

One for garden waste (but only "green" bits - no treated timber, floor sweepings even if from the garden).

One for landfill collected every two weeks.

If you get it wrong, you are meant to get a gentle reminder, but the local paper has published stories where the council is planning to take "offenders" to court of they persist in putting the wrong stuff out in the wrong bins.

Oh yes, and the landfill bins are microchipped under the lid already so that they can snoop a bit more.

Again, thanks for advice about CHiropractors - there isn't one of the McTimony variety locally, so I'll ask around to see of there is one within 20 miles.

Stewart

Its a joke at times. When we were in Lewisham Borough it was one big bin for all recycling. Any plastic from 1-5, bottles, tins, paper, etc. Now in Bexley we have to separate everything, only certain plastic containers even if we have other plastics of the same recycle type. We now throw out more plastic than we recycle.

One tub for limited plastic, one for glass and tins, and one for paper. No doubt they all end up in the same place. I understand it comes down to the private recycling contractor each council uses.

Yes, we used to have the 'one bin for all' system but that has long gone. I put a plastic bottle formerly containing Evergreen lawn fertiliser in the plastics, tins and paper kerbside bin, only to be told it was garden rubbish so they couldn't empty the bin! (The bottle was even labelled HDE2, or whatever, the same as a milkbottle, which they could take (but not the lid, even though it's the same plastic!?))

I have the same thing with pain killers. They have very little effect. The dentist has to unload at least 4 full shots to get me partially frozen. You wouldn't be left handed perchance?

My last major dental treatment ended up with three of the normal shots then three ratchets of the super strength stuff, at which point he refused me any more but I could still feel what he was doing! BTW, no, I'm right handed!

Lancaster's recycling is also a bit of a nightmare.

One box for tins (clean only), and cardboard (must be cut down to fit the box).

One for glass (must remove the stoppers particularly plastic ones) and paper (not shredded and also no large items like Argos books or phone books unless broken down and the covers removed).

One for plastic bottles only (and then only certain types and without the stoppers - oh and must be crushed).

One for garden waste (but only "green" bits - no treated timber, floor sweepings even if from the garden).

One for landfill collected every two weeks.

If you get it wrong, you are meant to get a gentle reminder, but the local paper has published stories where the council is planning to take "offenders" to court of they persist in putting the wrong stuff out in the wrong bins.

Oh yes, and the landfill bins are microchipped under the lid already so that they can snoop a bit more.

The pedants are revolting. This sounds like bureaucracy gone berserk! We have a two / four week cycle here: landfill (bin) every fortnight, garden (bag, ??12/year) and "recyclables" (bin) every other fortnight, glass (crate) every second 'recyclable'!

Again, thanks for advice about CHiropractors - there isn't one of the McTimony variety locally, so I'll ask around to see of there is one within 20 miles.

try http://www.chiropractic-uk.co.uk - they seem to have a search engine to locate your nearest one. I've never knowingly had one of these mctimony ones and I've survived!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

Just started raining as I stepped through the door which was lucky, but the roads are lightly flooded (if that makes sense) so the spray off the vehicles was quite overwhelming. A nice warm cycle though which is welcome after yesterday!

Don, if I get asked what I would like for birthday/christmas I usually say 'money' - it makes it easier for everyone that way. Nowadays, I usually say I don't want anything. This avoids the ' ..err that's lovely' speeches and gives a piece of mind to TWMBO!

post-6776-12597706185192_thumb.png post-6776-12597706426772_thumb.png

You mean you haven't got one ;)

nope, sold it when I left the IoW in 1989 to move to London.

Welcome to my world! Yes that is my cycle route, beats city centre cycling, eh!

So I see; ATB (all terrain bike) or mountain bike required!

• RMweb Gold

Yep, definitely, especially with the gravel tracks and all the holes in the road! Bike now fitted with rear mudflap to lessen the extent to which I get muddy... :rolleyes:

the next couple of months could be interesting cycling weather, particularly if last February was anything to go by!

Perhaps we should have a cycle thread...

Yep, definitely, especially with the gravel tracks and all the holes in the road! Bike now fitted with rear mudflap to lessen the extent to which I get muddy... :rolleyes:

:icon_thumbsup2:

the next couple of months could be interesting cycling weather, particularly if last February was anything to go by!

Perhaps we should have a cycle thread...

You know how to start threads! :icon_wave:

• RMweb Gold

Recycling is very simple here. Non recyclable stuff goes in a black bag, recyclable stuff goes in a pink bag unless it is glass bottles for which we have a yellow tub (some people have more than one). Garden waste is collected in white bags but not in winter. The local council state that the recycling stuff does not end up as landfill and is processed in the UK.

I've been trying to get rid of some of the bicycles (outgrown by child!) we have had cluttering up the garage. I managed to send one to Wales, two to Hornchurch and one to Barking. Locally no one seems to want a used bicycle.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

How's getting up at 4am and starting work at 5? I do have one duty starting at 0459... (I live a 5 minute walk from work)

You want our sister thread. Earlier Early Risers.

Although you should get on with Don. He doesn't get up that early but lives in S.A.