The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

So you moved to Canada, eh?

From the photo it appears that Canada moved to him.

Either way, Chicagoans call Minnesota the "great white north" indistinguishably from our friends north of the 49th parallel.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi is hoping the doctor at the fracture clinic will swap her cast for a splint tomorrow.

She'll be doing a lot better than I did if they let her do that. Hopefully they won't see the need for any Meccano.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My brothers wife returned from a holiday a couple of months ago, went to the doctor for a cough and had been in hospital since apart from a week at home last week. She has AML. The chemotherapy has worked well but the prognosis is not good. She has a choice of palliative care or bone marrow transplant. She has elected for the bone marrow option.

Tony, I am sorry to hear that. At one time adult AML diagnoses were a death sentence. There has been some success with research in medications specifically for AML conducted locally here in Oregon. That research is now under the auspices of the Knight Cancer Institute (named for it's patron, Phil Knight, a founder of Nike.) I do not know how widespread these medications have become. Of course every case is different. Best wishes for your sister in law in her fight.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Either way, Chicagoans call Minnesota the "great white north" indistinguishably from our friends north of the 49th parallel.

I thought it was "the frozen Northern wastelands".

I'm pretty sure a large percentage of the US population thinks that's an apt description for this area. That's assuming they can tell the difference between Idaho, Iowa and Ohio.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

I thought it was "the frozen Northern wastelands".

I specifically recall the use of "frozen tundra".

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's assuming they can tell the difference between Idaho, Iowa and Ohio.

Spuds, corn and rust. :)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Took the car in this afternoon to have the ABS warning light sorted, and it was in two minutes flat. Car was plugged into a machine, a few buttons were pressed and hey presto the warning light went out. I also taxed the car for the next year from 1st. of August, only £30 for my car. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. 

Sat in an air conditioned office for most of the day; very pleasant. Stepping out at lunchtime it was like getting off the trooping flight at Akrotiri. Now where's my jug of Brandy Sours to get the evening going! :drink_mini:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Sandy sounds very determined about how she is going to keep going. 

As for the nil by mouth. Many years ago I spent a few days nil by mouth while on a drip in a heatwave. I don’t recall feeling thirsty just having a nasty taste. 

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Very sorry to hear that John. Thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

As to lump free diet.  I have vivid memories of a short break in a log cabin in Wales just after Beth had had an operation on her mouth, (stop siggering at the back there  she could still talk).  The most essential item that we packed was a small liquidiser so that everything could be served lump free with no chewing required. Meat and two veg became three lumps of different coloured thi gs on the plate.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Very sorry to hear that John. Thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

As to lump free diet.  I have vivid memories of a short break in a log cabin in Wales just after Beth had had an operation on her mouth, (stop siggering at the back there  she could still talk).  The most essential item that we packed was a small liquidiser so that everything could be served lump free with no chewing required. Meat and two veg became three lumps of different coloured thi gs on the plate.

Jamie

Mincer, liquidiser and the like are all going with us

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

We had some rain earlier, the temperature dropped a few degrees but it doesn’t seem cooler now.  There was lightning but some distance away. The weather app seems to suggest one lot to the west missed and the eastern storm went up the coast towards Norfolk. 

I have finished painting the utility room. I have put most of the small appliances back but I was too hot to pack away properly. I just chucked all the dust sheets and decorating equipment (cleaned) into the garage. Last time I did the utility room I did it in a day, so either I have got slow or was affected by the heat!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

I told Aditi about Ian's house moving injuries. She said I mustn’t undertake any more diy tasks until after we return from holiday.  She doesn’t want me to have any injuries that complicate our trip now that she has a poorly arm!

Tony

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

It's spread

I'm sorry John. I sense that this news does not come unexpectedly. Unambiguous diagnoses come with clarity and having a plan of action is good. I am glad that you have a plan of action.

• Agree 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evenig all (again) from Estuary-Land.

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Very sorry to hear that, in my thoughts as ever.

33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We had some rain earlier, the temperature dropped a few degrees but it doesn’t seem cooler now.  There was lightning but some distance away. The weather app seems to suggest one lot to the west missed and the eastern storm went up the coast towards Norfolk. 

Tony

I also had a smattering of rain. I wasn't sure at first as it sounded like rain but there was no sign of it until I realised that the ground (and car) were so warm that the raindrops were evaporating almost immediately.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1