The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Couple of pix from Inland NW Train Museum.

DSCN4579a.jpg.ac0975166dca6084019b52ef012682b1.jpg

Ooh - a roundy-pointed-nose (TM) diesel.................

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I guess wasps are very keen on derelict saddle tank locomotives.

For some reason, that loco made me wonder whether sawed-off might not solely be a characteristic of modded shotguns. :jester:

• Like 12

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

She's been scrapped, lovely ship.:D 

Clevvvvvvvvvvvver.:smile_mini2:  Although I have a feeling Mrs T. would have done something more positive having done so once before.

Brian

• Like 10

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

I have a feeling Mrs T. would have done something more positive having done so once before.

MrsID and I were going to be introduced to Mrs T some years back. She was coming to So. Cal. to speak at an event my company had sponsored. My boss had been given the honor of attending but he didn't want to go. He said "You're one of them - you go instead". (I assume he meant "Brits".)

Never one to pass up the opportunity to don my tux and get a free meal I signed us up. As it turned out Mrs T fell ill shorty before the event and James Baker was substituted. Somewhere we have a photo of MrsID and I being introduced to him.

Of course Baker was quite close to Ronnie Reagan and just to prove what a small World it actually is, before we moved to the US, Reagan visited Castlehead Church at the end of our street in Paisley.

• Like 18

Good morning one and all.  Warm thoughts to Tony and Aditi

Don’t tell everybody, but it looks as though my BT troubles may finally be on the way to solution.  Another representative from BT Openreach arrived soon after 8 am, wielded a screwdriver expertly and restored the long lost dialling tone to my landline.  In the process he seems to have fixed whatever it was that was making my broadband drop out with depressing frequency.  Yes, I know, I’m tempting providence, but for the first time since last Thursday I have felt optimism about communicating with the outside world by electric message.  One matter remains outstanding, viz the fact that BT Mail still does not work on my mobile phone.  Perhaps I need to sharpen my complaining faculties but in all fairness the matter is of less urgency than, for instance, being able to read RMweb on my screen.  What, I wonder, will be the next thing to go mammaries up?

I’m up to date with the ironing but not the laundry.  That may change today.  I’ve sorted out the T shirts and socks which will accompany me to Sidmouth, forgetting in the process that a new design of T shirt will be available when I get there.  One year I managed to buy and wear my new issue before the Festival Director got his.  Fortunately he and I are still on good terms.  For as long as I can recall I have collected tees for every occasion but inevitably some get worn more than others.  One of my favourites came from a beer festival and bears the poignant slogan “Eat football, drink football, talk shite”.  I was wearing it on a trip to the West of England and popped into the Tesco store just off the M32 for supplies.   A woman caught sight of it and said, in a wonderful Brizzle accent:  “Arrr, I want one of they for my husband.  He follows Rovers”.  “Say no more, madam” I mused.  The one to which reactions are unpredictable is of course the Welsh language one.  When I was in the Queenshilling night club the weekend before last one guy kindly translated it.  We got on well after that.  Another that I managed to obtain is a reproduction of the “Pits and Perverts” one that featured in that wonderful film “Pride”.  When shall I introduce that, I wonder?

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A terrible nights sleep as you might expect with the windows in the bedroom open the temperature was 25C...

I removed the ivy from my house, I wasn't helping the mice get into the roof space any more...

Met Mrs T in the Falklands on the 10th  anniversary of the war, She was however in Full PR meet and greet mode going from person to person in the mess. So you don't really get to judge her from that..

Norfolk normally doesn't get that hot with 2 thirds of it's border being coastline So I think they use a lower melt point tar, so they can get it to melt out of season while the tourists aren't here, to get the ballast to stick then.

Yes the summer holidays approach, tourists are driving along at 10 to 20 Mph below the speed limit to admire the scenery, More effin clowns are walking across the A roads in front of cars. But my drive to work is quieter, as parents change their hours to look after their off spring..

The combines have started getting in the wheat, the barly won't be long before thats ready..

Time to Wander down to the lab and see what the temperature is..

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

It isn’t actually cooler than during the night but it seems to be. Forecast to be quite warm here today. At some point I will have to finish the lawn cutting. Aditi hadn’t finished when she fell over yesterday. She needed a couple of paracetamol during the night but said the arm doesn’t hurt this morning. 

I don't think I have met any Prime Ministers. I don’t think any of the politicians I have spoken too are likely to become PM. I haven’t interacted with anybody really who could claim any kind of “celebrity” .

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Tony, sorry to hear about Aditi's mishap. That does of course qualify her for free honorary lifetime membership to my club!

Very warm here so we had a fan running all night,  getting hotter by the minute with temperatures up to 33°C promised and thunderstorms possible tonight. 

A flying visit to Messrs Sainsbury is required and after that a taking it easy sort of day is planned. I may venture to the shed for some light relief but as The Knee at last seems to be improving a little I won't be kneeling.

Have a good one,

'O.T. Anbovvered.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Met Mrs T in the Falklands on the 10th  anniversary of the war, She was however in Full PR meet and greet mode going from person to person in the mess. So you don't really get to judge her from that..

We were there at the same time then Q. I was on one of my many Falklands stints on 1435 Flight.

Good morning everybody. Another fine start to the day on the patio of Chez Nous with the morning muggocoffee contemplating life, the universe and why it's taking C&L so long to send the bits I've ordered. Apart from that I've no firm plans but no doubt things will develop.

Have a good day all.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

With the Phantoms or Tornados?

I was there fitting out the ADV radar test bay in the Avionics Building.  Installing, commissioning and calibrating the Test equipment ready for their arrival.. and then again later for up grading the test equipment..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a cloudless NE Herts where brick and block mangling is proceeding at haste and scaffold boards are bouncing merrily. Will the mortar set too quickly and thereby give us some peace? Muggertea consumed and awaiting arrival of grandson prior to promised golf expedition. We may see if we can resolve the issues with the altitude motor’s clutch on my rather large Skywatcher on our return to KZ Towers. SWMBO is on manic holiday preparation voluntary duties (ironing, foreign currency), not for us you understand but to help daughter prepare for their departure at the weekend. I expect I will also need to visit a supplier of comestibles if we are not to starve.

Sorry to hear of Aditi’s accident Tony, any sort of extra weight, bandaging or slings will cause further discomfort in the predicted heat. Is the GDB club about to be registered as a charity and from where can we obtain supporters’ tee shirts?

Stay cool brethren!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all 

Sunny and bright here, my women saga continues there is a possibility I could be moving up to Bedford in 4 weeks time I have struck up friendship with an attractive 

lady who has turned my life around:wub: I've learnt there are women out there that are loving and nice unlike the thing :girldevil: of the past, the one I had coffee with yesterday was also attractive 

but she didn't come up for air but I couldn't take my eyes off her we are having dinner next week my beer buddies can't believe me in what I'm doing, to add a bit of Icing I'm having

lunch with an old friend today she's scrummy.

enjoy your day :superman: Don Juan

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It was still warm last night when I went to bed, so the bedroom ceiling fan was left on for a few hours. Unusually I had go go to the loo during the night, mind you I did drink a lot of water (3.75 litres) yesterday, not to mention several mugs of tea and a pint of Doombar. 

Today the The sun is shining and the sky is blue with very few clouds about and there appears to be very little wind either. My first task will be to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix as I need to get some pizzas for tomorrow night’s tea. I also have to make a cheesecake so that will be my task for the afternoon. Other than that I’ve nothing else planned. 

Tony. I’m sorry to read about Aditi’s fall. 

Enjoy the day

Back later

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

At some point I will have to finish the lawn cutting. Aditi hadn’t finished when she fell over yesterday.

How inconsiderate of her.

Seriously, I hope she isn’t in too much discomfort and her arm makes a full recovery.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sorry to hear of Aditi's accident, best wishes for a speedy recovery. I don't often wear T-shirts but I have one emblazoned 'Original grumpy old man.' When I do wear it women keep approaching me and asking where can they get one for their husbands! Agreed ivy is great for keeping buildings cool, and its also very good at soaking up polution but it can damage brickwork by drawing all the moisture out of the wall. Its best on a wall that gets the most rain (west facing?). Thats it for now, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17