The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny Charente.  One of the "to do" jobs got sorted yesterday. I finally chaned the head on the satellite dish and installed 2 new leads and then generally tidied up the wiring on the outside and inside of the house.  Muracle of miracles, the new head still prvjded a sugnal that the digibox could decode. It also appears that the signal is better than before and several channels that were showing "weak or poor signal" have now come to life.  (Stop sniggrring on the back row, not that kind of channel.  I fi ished at lunchtime and now only need to fire up the tele in the spare bedroom.

In the afternoon I took the trailer to a friends house and filled it with bark as well as heplong them duscover lots of logs in the pile of bark.  Their daughter and son in law have bought the old farmhouse next door to their house and are busily engaged in clearing out the barns ready for building work to start.  The bark/log pile is the result of many years of log cutting. The end result is a trailer full of bark parked behind the house. Emptying it is todays task.  Anyway some eyelid inspection followed then a good evening with 2 friends round to ours for dinner. They finally staggerred home about midnight.

Off to the market shortly.  Then bark distribution later.

Regards to all

Jamie

l

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

bright and sunny here the hay fever thing has got me today I might have to cancel my date. :umbrage: back to bed for another hour methinks.

Have a good one . 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A sunny morning with the odd cloud in the sky greeted us when we eventually woke up (all that fresh air umpiring and scoring does it!)

Herself has a cup match to score later..I am off to Ampleforth for 5 days. Wifi ther was a bit patchy last year so reports may be limited (or non existent!)

I need to charge up the beast and pack my bags into it before collecting a colleague. Should be a good week.

Ian hope the return flight goes well!

Have a great day and a super week!

Thoughts are with those who ail or who are missing.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I met a chap in Holland once who used to fly Flockers......

And there used to be a dog on some TV show with Esther Rantzen that could bark "sausages" but I've never heard one bark "distribution".

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another quick hello as I'm off out shortly, an invite to visit a local club holding an open day. Got to get the paper and some petrol on the way. Be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is allegedly going to be a nice day here. Aditi asked if I would like to paint the utility room today. I answered and it is now tentatively scheduled for tomorrow. 

I know there is plenty of magnolia for the walls but I think I may have used the last of the ceiling paint in the study. 

Have a good day. 

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

You can't beat a Flocker Friendship

Went to Dublin on one we all wondered if we were ever going to get there, the ducks were passing up in the jet steam.

Btw its Fokker.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Like the 'pirates' quote … reminded me of a parking problem we had at the Lizard some years back … took a month or two to sort out  some dishonesty but, while we liked the Lizard, as a result of that experience we will never return. 

That is the same at The Needles on the Isle of Wight Peter. How we allow places of beauty to be sold off so someone can charge us to visit what was our land still amazes me. It brings to mind the title of a 1973 LP (yes, very old-school I know) called "Selling England By The Pound" recorded by Genesis.

• Like 11
  • Agree 6

Morning, late on parade again, looks like we will get more wet today, but still warm without being too humid and sticky, grass to cut if it's dry and more ballasting to do in TOSH, then it's building station and goods platforms, probably from balsa, hope everyone has a nice lazy sunday afternoon(could be a song there lol)

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I'm planning to do a BBQ later and among other things have bought some fillet steak. I hope that I can give it the loving care and attention that it needs.

Shed was left alone yesterday as after giving assistance with domestic tasks The Knee had had enough. The next task in there will be "Flapgate." Once that is done I can turn my attention to tracklaying.  Some sort of plan might come in useful as I still haven't quite decided how I'm doing it.  I'm not looking forward to this either because the wiring (which I try to keep to a minimum) will necessitate kneeling and crawling about under the boards.

The late arrivals at the Sutton barbecue ball may include Mr & Mrs Filletsteak and their daughters Juicy, Rare and their son Blue; The Cobbs are coming with their son Cornon and that very healthy family The Salads will make an appearance when their children Green and Rice wake up. Have you catered for them all GDB?

Whatever the evolution of the 7mm Bob-Under layout, simplify your wiring task by soldering on dropper wires to each rail section before you fix it down, then you only have to link up the droppers to your bus using something like https://www.wago.com/us/wire-splicing-connectors/splicing-connector/p/222-413 which mean you can link up your wiring with a lever-operated clamp without the need for soldering underneath the boards. If the droppers are long enough, you can bring them out to the edge of the board to minimize sideways and bending stresses on the GDBKnee. They can be bought for a matter of pence each from that emporium run by rather strong and large ladies or from the place that repairs broken fasteners in two thru five-way configurations. I tend to stick with three-way ones so I have a line in, a dropper and a line out.

The older 8" astronomical telescope has a new home, hence being late on parade, so now to concentrate on the extensive task list provided by SWMBO in time for our guest's arrival this pm. Later, much gin and red wine may find its way to the KZ digestion system so the next input may be some time away.

Have a good day all.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone (just)

A little bit late on parade this morning due to a very loooong lie-in this morning, we must have needed the rest. So back to today’s activities, a bit more pottering about in the garden is on the cards, as I want to pot up some more of the plants we bought on Wednesday. After that it depends on what time I finish the potting, if I have time I might be able to get an hour or so in the workshop, we shall have to see. 

Back later. 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Friends who we haven't seen for quite a while are visiting for the day. Not sure if this will be good or not as apparently there are some "problems."  I'm planning to do a BBQ later and among other things have bought some fillet steak. I hope that I can give it the loving care and attention that it needs.

Have a good one,

W.Ingingit.

I used to cook fillet steak straight from the freezer - nicely seered on the outside, thawed in the middle!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it great to see new build locos. I was just reading about the proposed new L & B Manning & Wardle locos. Funding is in place to make a start on some of the parts. What a sight that will be to see four L & B locos together at Woody Bay.

Morning all. Another sunny day here in NW USA. Been watching trains go by in the night and this morning from our hotel room but not a suitable clear view to take photos. Still plenty of coal being used here.

After breakfast we will be heading to Seatac but it wont be a Flocker home:rolleyes:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

It has taken me all week to get caught up, what with one thing and another domestically, and as ever, a spate of water has passed under the ER bridge, which means that there is a lot on which to comment, so as usual, the greetings are to all who are ailing or celebrating,

Today, I was having what passes for a lie in chez 45156, ie 8.20 am.  30747 decided to rise earlier, as is her wont, but she then came up and asked me to walk the dog, while she cut the grass.  So there was I just getting up, when I hears the lawn mower start up, then cut out, several times.  I knew what was coming when there was a call from downstairs - the mower's gone wrong.  The cable had indeed become very frayed just where it enters the switch box, so I gets my screwdrivers, and opens the switch box, to find that the switch was not removable, and that the cable entered behind it - so much for just shortening the lead by a foot or so.

Argos had NO hover mowers in stock locally, Screwfix had online, but when I went to order it was unavailable at all nearby branches, B&Q here closed a couple of weeks ago.  Homebase had a few hovers in stock, but only Flymos at some extortionate price, but hey beggars can't be choosers. so I'm £90 down because of a lousy design.

Then got back to find that 30747 had decided to

Back tomorrow - probably not.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Isn't it great to see new build locos. I was just reading about the proposed new L & B Manning & Wardle locos. Funding is in place to make a start on some of the parts. What a sight that will be to see four L & B locos together at Woody Bay.

Morning all. Another sunny day here in NW USA. Been watching trains go by in the night and this morning from our hotel room but not a suitable clear view to take photos. Still plenty of coal being used here.

After breakfast we will be heading to Seatac but it wont be a Flocker home:rolleyes:

I think that coal you're seeing is on its way to Asia. Most of the generation in Washington comes from hydro or natural gas.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mor...oh.

Went to Grumble for an hour today, with my foot brace on tight, I survived without knackering anything.  There's no easy way to get to the railway you have to walk down rough pathways, hence my not really volunteering there any more.

So, I'd just like to point out Tornado isn't the only new build running.....

13164664_BBBB.jpg.185511f3e799aed5f335533c89e4dae1.jpg

Oh here's two now!

I had a drive of Otter (I am a qualified driver there) and she's really nice, incredibly free running as she is on roller bearings, so you have to be handy on the brake.  Brown Bear is also a great success, the best things is the comment from one of the senior drivers is that she sounds and feels exactly like Polar Bear - job done!  Sea Lion is a little smaller so has a different feel.  Both are still running in, with a few little jobs to sort out, but seeing both in steam today is a real treat after all the years of fundraising.

And Otter is painted the proper colour for a steam locomotive ;)

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

It has taken me all week to get caught up, what with one thing and another domestically, and as ever, a spate of water has passed under the ER bridge, which means that there is a lot on which to comment, so as usual, the greetings are to all who are ailing or celebrating,

Today, I was having what passes for a lie in chez 45156, ie 8.20 am.  30747 decided to rise earlier, as is her wont, but she then came up and asked me to walk the dog, while she cut the grass.  So there was I just getting up, when I hears the lawn mower start up, then cut out, several times.  I knew what was coming when there was a call from downstairs - the mower's gone wrong.  The cable had indeed become very frayed just where it enters the switch box, so I gets my screwdrivers, and opens the switch box, to find that the switch was not removable, and that the cable entered behind it - so much for just shortening the lead by a foot or so.

Argos had NO hover mowers in stock locally, Screwfix had online, but when I went to order it was unavailable at all nearby branches, B&Q here closed a couple of weeks ago.  Homebase had a few hovers in stock, but only Flymos at some extortionate price, but hey beggars can't be choosers. so I'm £90 down because of a lousy design.

Then got back to find that 30747 had decided to

Back tomorrow - probably not.

Regards to All

Stewart

I trekked my petrol Flymo from Paisley to the US. Complete waste of time. The turf and soil were completely unsuitable here. All it did was blow carp all over the place. :wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 13