The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now I did wonder about the leaking hydraulic fluid bit until a mate of the lad, who lives about 5 miles from Gatwick, has recently posted on Farcebook that it  might explain why part of his garden has had hydraulic fluid dumped on it this afternoon.

I stayed in Englefield Green for the summer of 1972. When certain Heathrow runways were being used, and the wind in a certain direction, some types of early jet aircraft taking off could precipitate unburnt jet fuel on the place.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, pH said:

I stayed in Englefield Green for the summer of 1972. When certain Heathrow runways were being used, and the wind in a certain direction, some types of early jet aircraft taking off could precipitate unburnt jet fuel on the place.

Handy if you had a paraffin lamp or a primus stove.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 7

One thing about the take off roar from a B-17 - its unmistakable!  You can hear it for miles away and be out in the garden in time to see it overhead.  Also we are under the SEA flight path to the Orient with a southerly wind and just about every carrier who flies there can be seen at certain times of the day, usually early afternoon, which presumably gets them to their destination at a reasonable hour. Most are 777s  or 787s ( hard to tell them apart) but there is still one or two airlines that use 747s which like the B-17, can be heard climbing out, a long way off.

Brian.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Today's been storm-sunshine-storm-sunshine. Now at least its cleared and is a bit fresher. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, brianusa said:

One thing about the take off roar from a B-17 - its unmistakable!  You can hear it for miles away and be out in the garden in time to see it overhead. 

Brian.

Many years ago I took my niece and nephew to an event at Old Warden (Shuttleworth collection). Part of the event was a visit from the BoB flight that included the Lancaster which overflew the airfield at no more than 200 feet. The noise was tremendous.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Patios and furniture cleaned, floors washed, plants lubricated, short interval watching golf then dragged out to the Village Picnic - could have done without that and done the intended railway signal modelling instead. Night awl.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening all, nice trip to Dundee, went in the MacManus gallery, a lovely little museum and gallery with a nice café, even the wee grandsons were impressed, dodged some hefty rain and got home dry, did a bit of the "G" word and a bit more ballasting, can almost see the end of that job now.

G'night all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Like the 'pirates' quote … reminded me of a parking problem we had at the Lizard some years back … took a month or two to sort out  some dishonesty but, while we liked the Lizard, as a result of that experience we will never return. 

Embroidery and cushions look fabulous.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We're ensconsed in our motor home in northern Michigan.  The weather has been overly hot, but yesterday a thunderstorm blew in from Ian Abel's area.  Started just after midnight with much lightning and then terrific downpour.  Crop of mushrooms appeared in the lawn area. Stayed in all afternoon as it rained some more.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

We're ensconsed in our motor home in northern Michigan.  The weather has been overly hot, but yesterday a thunderstorm blew in from Ian Abel's area.  Started just after midnight with much lightning and then terrific downpour.  Crop of mushrooms appeared in the lawn area. Stayed in all afternoon as it rained some more.

Everywhere in the USA has been hot except for the North West which has suited us perfectly. It may well be hotter back home.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good morning one and all

There has been a step forward in getting reconnected to the outside world.  Post lady brought a cardboard box containing a new router, or hub as we must now call it.  I have connected it and dreamed up yet another new password.  Tentatively I say “so far so good”, which is relative as my broadband only went down three times last evening.  The only thing is that an e-mail from BT – and how did that get through? - tells me that another package is due to arrive on Monday.  What’s the betting that it will contain another hub?  What to do if it does?  Also on Monday I am expecting a visit from a BT engineer with a magic wand that should bring my landline back to life.  What will actually happen is anybody’s guess.

For relaxation yesterday I made a batch of chicken casserole and cut down Mrs Electric-Chair’s overhanging creeper.  Today there is sirloin steak for lunch and, I’m afraid, more laundry to be done.  There was ironing yesterday which is not relaxing but provides some slightly less rumpled apparel.  In a week and a half I‘m off to Sidmouth and would like to look my best.  They say there is a first time for everything.

A jiffy bag arrived on Friday bristling with Belgian stamps.  I guessed correctly that inside was the new CD by Trio Dhoore, “August”.  I was rather chuffed to find the following inscription on the sleeve: “Hi Chris, thanks for supporting us!  Ward, Hartwin and Koen”.  When to play it?  Soon!  It’s in the car already - no hessian bag purdah for this one.

I have just enjoyed reading Rick’s account of night bus travel.  I did a bit of it myself last weekend in Bristol, having found before I went that buses run half-hourly through the night from the city centre to Cribbs Causeway [where my hotel was until it burned down on Wednesday]. Well, so they do, but only one of the routes goes past the hotel.  Let’s just say that Cribbs bus station can be a lonely place at 1.30 am.  What I should have done was to catch the last of the day buses from a stop much nearer to the nightclub.  Let’s see what happens next time.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

a good nights sleep. of 6 hours plus 1 hour,

Last night Ben the scare-dy collie hid in his cage for another 2 hours came out looked around,,  and went back into his cage for another hour.

It, the weather,  long before he came out, changed to clear blue sky's, as it is now.

Today's plans,  boat work,  hoover up,  affix some dress panels,  look through my stock of metal bits to see if I've got a suitable Stainless Steel tube, to use as a traveller,  if so cut to size,  then start trying to cut the keel to the new required shape. It could get noisy out there... Ben will have to be taken to the house instead of supervising in the sun. 

I was trying to think when I was last on a bus or even a coach,  the late  1990s I think, National express, Milton Keynes to Heathrow for a flight to Saudi.

Time to.. Laze around and do nothing,  Ben is still asleep,  and has not given the I want patrol stare... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18