The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Belated wedding anniversary Judge and Mrs Judge. How come she ended up with such a long sentence?

:jester:

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spelling mistakes
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Following my wasted half day some modelling completed, Leeds MRS CIO visited and the Beast refilled. Looks like a tank of petrol will last 400 miles so long as I keep the hybrid batteries charged. Not bad for a 2 Tonne vehicle ( and to think, a 65T+ Challenger 2 does about 2 mpg on road.)

Tomorrow has no cricket or housework penciled in yet.  We shall see.

Sleep well all.

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

. Looks like a tank of petrol will last 400 miles

I thought my car can do that but then I looked up the size of each vehicles petrol tank!

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Looks like a tank of petrol will last 400 miles so long as I keep the hybrid batteries charged. Not bad for a 2 Tonne vehicle ( and to think, a 65T+ Challenger 2 does about 2 mpg on road.)

I know which I would prefer on a crowded M25

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to JD and Mrs. JD on your anniversary. A few large drops of liquid fell from the sky as I returned from the club but all it seems to have done is up the humidity. The car goes in for its annual service and MOT Friday morning so it will need a clean tomorrow. I was looking at second hand hybrid and/or electric cars. they are suprisingly cheap second hand but then you get to the bit that says 'needs new batteries'. Apparently they  can cost anything up to £5,000 to replace, if it can be done without taking the car apart.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to JD and Mrs. JD on your anniversary. A few large drops of liquid fell from the sky as I returned from the club but all it seems to have done is up the humidity. The car goes in for its annual service and MOT Friday morning so it will need a clean tomorrow. I was looking at second hand hybrid and/or electric cars. they are suprisingly cheap second hand but then you get to the bit that says 'needs new batteries'. Apparently they  can cost anything up to £5,000 to replace, if it can be done without taking the car apart.

As a matter of interest, why does your car have to be clean for an annual service and MOT?:huh:

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, brianusa said:

As a matter of interest, why does your car have to be clean for an annual service and MOT?:huh:

Brian.

It doesn't have to be clean but the last time it was cleaned was a year ago before the last service.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a looooong day, but we’ve had a great time and we’ve really enjoyed the day. Members only days are not as busy as open days and it made it a lot easier for our friends to find seats at dinner, something that is almost impossible during open days. The weather was dry and sunny, but quite a large portion of the day was overcast, which did mean it was a bit more comfortable to walk round in. There had been a few times when dark clouds could be seen but thankfully the rain held off. However, it finally started to rain around 4:30 so are friends (who’d driven up from Leicester) decided to call it a day and set off for home, as did a lot of other folk. We however, headed for one of the large tents and wandered around for another hour before we finally decided to head for home just after 5:30, but by then we were getting a tired and a bit wet, but weren’t soaked. We had quite a few plants to take back to the car too. As we didn’t leave until late, most of the traffic had already gone, but it still took us an hour to get back home.

Warren, sorry for your lose. 

JD. Congratulations on your 54th wedding anniversary. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning one and all

Until 11 am yesterday I was expecting a BT engineer this morning.  However, someone at BT took it upon themselves to cancel the appointment.   Later in the day I found myself explaining to an uncomprehending harridan that someone who knows what they are talking about should at least inspect my hub and cabling, for how otherwise would the recurrent fault be diagnosed?  Eventually she caved in and reinstated the appointment.  It may have been my statement that at present I am not getting the service that I am paying for, or it may simply have been that she wanted to go home after a hard day.  Today is already interesting because an e-mail from BT soon after 4 am tells me that my fault has been fixed.  I wonder if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing?

This afternoon I will be entertaining a gas technician, who will be installing some new pipework to bypass the length where the leak is suspected to be.  The alternative would have been to excavate the kitchen floor.  I think not.  How I miss hot water and cooked food.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 18

Morning All,

It is a reasonably cool morning in this part of the world.

The comment that Michael made regarding time is an interesting one, and reminds me of something I heard the other day.  I was born after the moon landings - but somebody pointed out the other day that "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners was released on 25 June 1982 and that is closer to VE day than today.  A frightening thought!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pH said:

My dad was on a committee investigating the loss of an RAF B25 in North Africa which exploded soon after takeoff, with no enemy forces anywhere near. The pilot actually survived and from what he could tell them, they concluded that it was caused by a known problem with the aircraft. The batteries were not well-ventilated, and hydrogen and oxygen built up as they charged. The pilot said he had levelled off just before the explosion - the conclusion was that the change in attitude had allowed the hydrogen to flow into contact with a spark or heat source, and that had caused a fire, igniting the fuel load.

So Boeing have history with battery problems.... North American Aviation who built the B25 became part of Boeing... 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BoD said:

I know which I would prefer on a crowded M25

So do I....and at about 60kph it goes wherever you want it to....

Baz

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I thought my car can do that but then I looked up the size of each vehicles petrol tank!

Apparently the fuel tank on the Outlander (according to the car writing experts ) is "too small???

Baz

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

My 1984 landrover with a 200tdi 2.5 diesel of 1989 design,  can do 600 miles to the tankful.. But it is a 20gallon tank. 

Whereas the Kia Rio,  can only do 250 miles , on its tiny 6 gallon tank. That being a right pain as it means refuelling twice going to Scotland, hence me researching off motorway fuel stations me route.. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.   Less sunny this morning and quite a bit of cloud but still warm.   We must be due some rain as the farmers were out baling straw till after 23.30 last night.

Congratulation to JD, you could have done away two and been out by now.   Commiserations to Warren, as Baz has said, last visits are very poignant. 

Various tasks were completed yesterday but the new water supply to the shed didn't get sorted as the ironmongers didn't have the right part in stock. I am told that it will be there next Wednesday.   I also called into a jewellers to get a new battery put in a watch.   I was able to do a little translation work whilst there. The owner's teenage daughter was proudly wearing a T shirt that had the word Hangover on it plus the dictionary definition, all in English.  I commented on it and the lady asked me what the word meant. Apparently it was the young lady's birthday and the T shirt was a present.  I was able to translate for her to much amusement.

This morning I'll full be off to the post office shortly then on a very important mission to get two wine boxes refilled.   This afternoon I need to visit the Marie to hand in my planning request dossier.

As to mileages, my 15 yr old Diesel Volvo estate does about 700 miles on a tank but well over 800 on a long run.   I do sometimes wonder whether one tank of diesel causes less environmental damage than two tanks of petrol and the various effects of battery production and disposal.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No sign of any rain (yet) but its still predicted this morning. The flying ants are out, the starlings were making the most of the bounty earlier. Chris, when I had the same problem with a gas leak I had the replacement pipe diverted through the ceiling, this made it easier to extend it to the attic when the back boiler went belly up and I replaced it with an evaporation boiler in the loft. Now time to put that boiler to use and run a bath, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The gas man didn’t find any leaks or boiler problems here yesterday. 

I will be taking Aditi down to the station fairly soon. She wants to get the first off peak train to London. She is going on a walk round Kings Cross organised by the art and design group she goes to. I have been given a shopping list. 

Have a good day,

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull and dismal here, so is the weather. Pick any of drizzle, rain, heavy showers  with a smattering of sunny spells according to the forecasters.

The first of 3 bin lorries has been, the other 2 are late today.

Took The Boss out to lunch yesterday which was very enjoyable so Brownie points are in credit.

Today is Sainsburyday (the main one of the week as there are usually others) Wine will be bought as they're doing their regular 25% off for 6 bottles offer.

I may then venture to the timber merchant as a bit more wood etc is needed to complete the layout boards.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15