The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Iirc the inhaler mechanisms are made in kings Lynn by consort medical ( formerly called Bespak,)  but whether the inhaler mechanism or the drug is the shortage I don't know 

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

Some good weather lately and the garden is coming on fantastically.  The main thing is that the pile of boulders and rubble from the old lean-to (demolished 34 years ago) is now, thanks to a very capable local dry stone waller, is being turned into an extension to the terrace at the side of the steps down to the garden to form a patio area.  Looking good after just a day's work.   Planting at the bottom of the garden is also making progress with the three-foot planter centred behind the square planter standing on top of the old ash stump.  Now filled with sifted earth from the terrace ( which has to be lowered to damp proof course) is waiting plant food and plants.  

Ticketing at West Shore got the thumbs up at the recent committee meeting, so it is all steam ahead for the rest of the season.  I managed to number some tickets for last Saturday, but the morning's weather (a bit wet!) seems to have put a lot of people coming down to the beach and playground so we did not get a chance to use them.  They should (weather permitting) start going this weekend.  The numbers start at 471 (470 tickets already printed) - none of this "Oooooh!  I have number 001....I'll put it on Ebay..."  Aren't I mean...?:girldevil: :jester: 

Wishing you all well.

Polly

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 16
  • Funny 3

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:13, Ozexpatriate said:

What did the home inspection reveal?  Surely a problem of this magnitude would have been exposed!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
old response from prior post. These seem to show up often!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

What did the home inspection reveal?  Surely a problem of this magnitude would have been exposed!

Brian, I am assuming you are asking about Ian's water problem:

6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Bit of a setback on the new house/moving front yesterday early evening as there was a huge storm here and we discovered there is some water coming in from the basement foundation in the bathroom

Days after we first purchased the house we noticed some water after a heavy rain, in the same spot, but were assured by the real  estate agent that it wasn't something that had occurred before.

it's the sort of thing I can imagine a home inspection missing, assuming the inspection was done in a dry spell, although basement leakage would normally show up at any time. It makes me wonder if there were cosmetic repairs to hide the problem, so it would pass inspection.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9

18 minutes ago, brianusa said:

old response from prior post. These seem to show up often!

With that quote, I assume your post buffer did not clear. If you click on the + sign handle at the top of a quote (It will say "click and drag to move" if you hover over it), you can delete the quote.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Brian, I am assuming you are asking about Ian's water problem:

it's the sort of thing I can imagine a home inspection missing, assuming the inspection was done in a dry spell, although basement leakage would normally show up at any time. It makes me wonder if there were cosmetic repairs to hide the problem, so it would pass inspection.

Hi Michael, you're right about the home inspections.  I have willingly paid for someone to crawl under the house to see what's going on.  Saves a lot of hassle perhaps later.

Brian.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Saves a lot of hassle perhaps later.

The challenge can be finding someone reputable.

I moved from Chicago to Portland in 1998. My buyer's inspector in Chicago felt compelled to find fault (to demonstrate value to the buyer) and we had to replace the furnace to keep our deal from falling through. There was nothing wrong with the furnace, other than age.

On the Portland side an inspector was recommended to us. We had heard horror stories about a manufactured cement fibre siding product and specifically asked the inspector, "was the home we were purchasing clad in this material?"  He definitively said "no".

* This particular siding manufactured in the early 1990s was very susceptible to build up of organics (moss, moulds etc) and warp in the damp Pacific Northwest climate. (I don't remember whether it was Hardieplank or a product of LP.)

Turns out he was a buddy of the seller. (The seller had built the home himself.) The siding was that material and a patch of it went bad a couple of years into my ownership and scuttled a potential sale of the house about three or four years after I bought it.

I can't complain. For reasons not related to this anecdote, everything turned out well in the end. After widespread legal action (there may have been a class action suit) the manufacturer was required to offer an extended warranty and the sidings were replaced. For a while it felt like we were getting the short end of the stick from home inspectors on both sides of the deal.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

16 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

... there's no moon, eclipsed or otherwise?

Moonrise is 9:05pm GMT. It will be full tonight at 10:38pm. The "Buck Moon" apparently.

We will not be able to see tonight's partial lunar eclipse in North America.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Affter reading Johns last line my reaction was bl^^^y h^^l it cant be that long!

And Gene Shoemaker died three years later (1997) in a car accident in the Australian outback on a trip to investigate impact craters.

In 1999 Gene Shoemaker's ashes were deposited on the surface of the moon in a controlled crash of the Lunar Prospector probe near the lunar south pole. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Apart from the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix this morning, I’ve had quite a relaxing day for a change. James and Amelia were both due round for tea tonight, but Amelia was unwell, so she couldn’t make it. However, James still came round and it was nice to see him.

James didn’t stay as long as he normally does as he thought he’d get home so he can go and take the dogs for a walk whilst it was still light outside.

Unfortunately we had cloud cover when the lunar eclipse was on so we were unable to view it. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Took my models to the SEERS track night this evening, regretably they did not run too well. The District box cab was quite happy to trundle around solo but was not happy with three old 00 Farish suburbans. The fact that the Farish stock had plain bearings and the locomotive is very light probably has something to do with it. I then tried my motorized EFE tube stock, it completed a couple of circuits then stalled. When I picked them up to examine them the motor bogies were red hot. the general consensus was that the gears had stripped/seized, a common problem with Tenshodo's.

• Friendly/supportive 17

4 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

In my experience home inspections are an expletive waste of time and money. Home inspectors are part of the real-estate "system" in the US and they are far too cozy with the realtors. Title companies are not much better.

I'll probably never buy another home in the US but if I do I'll require five year warranties on the roof, the basement and the septic system. (Yup! Got scrooged on every one of them.) Not to mention the boat-slip I bought that turned into the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm afraid I don't trust any of these chancers now.

Yours Truly,

I. M. Gullible

EDIT: I should say that the best experience we had was In California. We were the first owners. There were a few problems after we moved in but the builder resolved them immediately.

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo
  • Friendly/supportive 17