The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I also read JC's blog and thought the corn was not very ripe.   Around us the corn and now barley harvest is in full swing.   The last combine came past our house at 23.30 last night and they have worked later than that some nights.   The sunflowers have ripened in the last few days and the maize is growing well.   Some of the harvested wheat fields have had the straw baled and then been disc harrowed.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Too windy here on the coast for sunflowers I think..

Good news, both major systems passed, stress levels greatly reduced, especially when I found the bug in the new crosscheck review software..

Now gently proceeding with a temperature meter that was meant to ship yesterday, at least it's measurement only...no adjustment..

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Fairly quiet here. A few birds tweeting away. Some builders in the next road are preparing for the day by cleaning their cement mixer. 

I may spend some time pottering about in the garage. Aditi is going out with the  neighbours and their grandson. Aditi arranged some guest passes for the gym/swimming pool for them. 

Tony

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to add, that we try and plant as many Bee friendly plants as we can and we do see quite a lot of bees (lots of different types) and butterflies in the garden.

The grandkids love watching them. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I also read JC's blog and thought the corn was not very ripe.   Around us the corn and now barley harvest is in full swing.   The last combine came past our house at 23.30 last night and they have worked later than that some nights.   The sunflowers have ripened in the last few days and the maize is growing well.   Some of the harvested wheat fields have had the straw baled and then been disc harrowed.

Jamie

Thought that you spread the sowing so that you could spread the harvest. Coudn't do with everything ripening at once, you'd never get it successfully harvested.. Barley round here is golden and looks, to my completely untrained eye, ready.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Bl**dy autocorrect
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Thought that you spread the sewing so that you could spread the harvest. Coudn't do with everything ripening at once, you'd never get it successfully harvested.. Barley round here is golden and looks, to my completely untrained eye, ready.

You'll  have to Ask JCs wife about Sewing, but farmers do their Sowing these days in areas all together, because they hire in harvesters from outside, and it's cheaper to hire in the harvester that's in the area.

Often it's not even the farmers that do the sowing , they just contract out the fields to whoever wants to use them and then say, a brewer, will hire loads of fields in an area all planted and scheduled (they hope) to ripen in order to use one combining team to harvest the barley.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning but the odd shower is predicted but a strong chance of missing a shower altogether. The butterfly I rescued yesterday I've identified as a large white, though it was neither large or completely white. Not a lot else to report, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

The main crop when we moved to this area was wheat. Then that was replaced with purple or yellow oilseed crops. Now the fields have boot sales or traveller sites. Further north in Essex there still seems to be a lot of cabbage growing. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

The principal crop in Essex and indeed other parts of East Anglia was malting barley. This was dispatched all over the country including to many Scottish distileries. Complete trains of grain wagons used to make their way north at one time. This has largely been displaced by oilseed rape, the bright yellow plant. The purple flowering plant is linseed, as I was informed by John Jolley when he grew it one year. Both plants are very attractive to bees  who are attracted to yellow and purple flowering plants.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Thought that you spread the sowing so that you could spread the harvest. Coudn't do with everything ripening at once, you'd never get it successfully harvested.. Barley round here is golden and looks, to my completely untrained eye, ready.

Yes they do stagger the sowing. Some of the farms round here still do their own harvesting but a lot is contracted out. The combines tend to be used on the wheat first then the barley, followed by the sunflowers then the maize.  It's fascinating to see adjacent fields coming ripe and being harvested a few days apart.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

On our recent visit to Cornwall I kept my eye out for the fields of cream teas as we passed through Devon but they didn't seem to be growing any at all. 

All the Cornish Pasty mines seemed to have closed down too, although we saw many of the derelict remains.

Very clammy/muggy here.  I'm sure you all have your own dialect words to describe what I mean.

We don't tell the emmets where the real pasty mines are...

Grey here today, just outside Camborne.

Here's a fun website to pass the time with :  https://routecalculator.co.uk/elevation - how high are you ?

• Like 12
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

We don't tell the emmets where the real pasty mines are...

Grey here today, just outside Camborne.

Here's a fun website to pass the time with :  https://routecalculator.co.uk/elevation - how high are you ?

it says 16ft which is not quite correct its 19ft.. i live on a norfolk mountain.. work is however at 98ft.. I'll get altitued sickness up here..

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It shows 75 ft for us, not bad as the OS 30m line passes through our garden.

The rain has stopped but it still mighty breezy.

Sister Drac was a rather male Glaswegian built like a brick outhouse today!  Good though, first time in, and I have deep arteries that can be an issue to get.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

It puts me at 82 feet (25m) above sea level.

I didn't realise :o I was that tall! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 12