The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Indeed so. "It stops raining on July 5th" is a local "truism" here too.

Phoenix was the other way round. The Monsoon started on July 4th. Anyone who tells you "it's a dry heat" is lying through their teeth ;)

• Like 6
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

And a bit further from where we are in the Puget Sound area where a rare phenomenon called rain is falling.  

I like to refer to it as the "Pugwash Sound" but nobody here gets it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 16

35 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I like to refer to it as the "Pugwash Sound" but nobody here gets it.

Lt. Peter Puget seems more like Tom the Cabin Boy than Capt. Pugwash.

An interesting life. Courtesy of Wikipedia

The Bath Chronicle memorialized him:

"Died on Thursday 31 October at his home in Grosvenor Place, after a long and painful illness, Rear Admiral Peter Puget C.B. This lamented officer had sailed round the world with the late Captain Vancouver, had commanded various men-of-war and was many years Commissioner at Madras, the climate of which place greatly contributed to the destruction of his health."

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Inquest on the exhibition was started and some information was distributed. Footfall was down quite a bit on last year but we're still in the black. Now for that last muggatee, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The weather has been dull all day and always looked like it would rain at any moment, but thankfully it held off until just after 10:30 this evening. Typically, only starting after I’d already watered the plants!

Today a little more progress has been in the cellar. There are no risers to each of the stair treads and the front of each stair is slightly behind the back of the stair below it, so if a riser was fitted, it would end up in front of the step, or have to be set at an angle. So extensions have been fitted to the rear of each of the stair treads. This now means that when I fit a riser it will just be behind the front of the stair tread, looking a lot better aesthetically. I then made a start on the L shape shelf, the two main parts are cut to length and I’ve marked the top ready to cut a profile that matches the wall, as there were a couple of places where a large gap was evident. I’ll need to use a jigsaw to cut this and weather permitting, I’m hoping to do that tomorrow, I’ll then fix it in place ready for painting. 

Ian dropped Ava, Evie and Max round after school as they were stopping for tea, which tonight was chicken curry. So that made it a fairly quick tea, as all I had to do was get some curry sauce out of the freezer, which I did last night just before heading to bed and add it to some fried chicken pieces, simples. 

After tea, Ian picked up Max for his now regular boxing lesson and the girls stayed here and helped me water the plants. This has now become something of a regular thing that they like to do and they both seem to really enjoy it. However, before we started watering the plants, I brought in my wetsuit in off the line as it was dry by then and I had visions of it getting wet again once the girls started splashing water everywhere. Once they’d both gone home and we’d tidied up we sat down with a nice cold drink, Doombar in my case. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Saw a very nice podiatrist lady who said that the nail of The Toe has to come off and she will organise an appointment for that to happen as soon as she can. She carved off a lot of the gungified rubbish (sorry about having to use the technical medical term) and said to keep on with the antiseptic dressings until such time as the minor op is concluded. I said that I have a mate who's got a new scalpel blade and is raring to go but she said that since he's from Yorkshire there could be a problem with cross- border protocols - sorry Baz but thanks for the offer.

SWMBO and I then had a pleasant outdoor lunch in Shrewsbury before heading home where I did a spot of mod***ing before going out to a friend's birthday bash from which we have just returned, albeit a bit wet as it started raining just as we set off to walk home. At least the rain was warm and the evening's intake of red and amber fermented fruit juices helped us ignore it.

All in all I've had worse days.

Sleep tight everyone, unless you happen to be driving.

Mr. Squiffy AKA Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Lt. Peter Puget seems more like Tom the Cabin Boy than Capt. Pugwash.

Whatever happened to Roger the Cabin Boy............?

• Funny 16

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Whatever happened to Roger the Cabin Boy............?

Now, now.

Roger only existed in dirty minds. (Along with Seaman Staines and Master Bates.) And never sailed aboard the Black Pig.

Apparently the Grauniad (and the Sunday Correspondent) were successfully sued for libel (if Wikipedia is to be believed.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Now, now.

Roger only existed in dirty minds. (Along with Seaman Staines and Master Bates.) And never sailed aboard the Black Pig.

Apparently the Grauniad (and the Sunday Correspondent) were successfully sued for libel (if Wikipedia is to be believed.)

I thought the cabin boy was Nipper who did an injury to the skipper.:nono:

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think it might be an early, and not exactly cheap candidate for an interface with my sledgehammer before going in the bin.

From the movie Office Space - the demise of a frustrating printer.

Contains some rude lyrics. Please do not click if the f bomb offends, or mute the video.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

As a 7 year old, I was allowed to sleep on the sofa and was woken up to see the historic footage. 

If memory serves, a TV set was wheeled into our classroom. (This was the first time this happened.)

In my memory I saw Armstrong egress from the LM live with my classmates. If I've done my sums correctly this would have happened at 12:56pm AEST.

PBS is showing "Chasing the Moon" a six hour documentary series over three nights. It concludes tonight.

There was so much excitement at the time - beyond the news. One of our early reader books was called "Sparky the Space Chimp". Every boy's birthday party involved astronaut or space themed birthday cards. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner, temple hare,

I fell asleep at around 20:30 (reading a book) but was awake again by midnight, and the rest of the time was very intermittant dozing..

It didn't help when  I first woke and realised what ive got to do to sort out the first major system...more work...

Very dark when I got up, more heavy dark clouds, there had just been a shower of rain.. this is doing the jungle no good at all. When out on Patrol with Ben the Border Collie, I noticed in the hedge I'd cut on Saturday there was a bramble sticking out..18 inches of growth in 4 and a bit days...

I saw a barn owl on the way in, quite near home, normally they are a bit further on.. 

Our moon landing viewing at school was all to be ushered into the school hall / gym and a TV was on the stage. Black and white grainy pictures viewed from 50+ feet isn't good viewing..

I had the airfix saturn 5 and later the space shuttle, sadlly like all my airfix models they went missing when we / my parents moved..

Should you wish to review your youth the revell Saturn 5 and Space shuttle are still available new at reasonable prices..

Time to .. go back into batlle with these systems...

• Like 18