The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

photo shows the all important bottle opener

My barbecue doesn’t have one of those. Perhaps because it comes from a land where twist off caps for beer are a thing. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Many happy returns Pete, its my turn tomorrow as my 71st circle of the sun begins. Our exhibition seems to have been well attended and it appears to be a bit up on last years, we will find out at the inquest. I didn't see Tony but with the exhibition spread out between the two halls its no surprise. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A dry and slightly cooler day today, once my eyes were functioning again I shortened and fitted a blackout blind in the bedroom window, the sun blazes in around 4 a.m. and wakes us up, a tad early for a retired person of idle persuasion(unless I am going fishing), so that will be the kiss of death and we won't see the sun again all summer lol. Wife's gone to bingo with her pal, so I adjourned to TOSH and started papering, I bought some Peco generic "clouds in the sky" sheets for pennies years ago with the intention of using them and never did, so they're up, then began the detail of the fields below with a paint brush, I have no pictures of what it looked like in 1950, so it will look like it does today, I doubt much has changed. I bought some flower arrangers foam that they use as an oasis, I thought I'd try using it contouring the railway bridge, I'll give it a go, it's got two chances.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Oops, I nearly forgot. When I returned home from the exhibition I deliberately parked the car across my own drive meaning that next door would not be able to park their bl@@dy great Transit van. As I was getting out of the car another large van turned up to collect one of the couples living in the house and their belongings. They were forced to park further down the road. So it looks as if the driver of the said Transit has departed with family and his belongings.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16

Evening awl,

So I did get the train up to London about lunchtime, to the National Gallery, then to the Old Coffee House to do my German homework, delayed in the Charing Cross Road assisting an LAS truck to do a three point turn and found a perch in Trafalgar Square about 5:15.  Didn't spot anyone I knew, a slightly worrying note was the number of buses taking part in the procession .....

Off to bed, Bill

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the sun finally showed itself just before dinner, but it was still quite warm, low 20’s, but it got even warmer after the sun came out. I was glad I used the wheelbarrow right from the start, as once again I filled it. However, it wasn’t all rose cuttings, I did do a bit more weeding. I also planted half a dozen foxgloves and an evergreen fern in the shady garden. I also put a couple of other plants into the ground instead of them being in pots. This now means that I am getting a rather large stash of large empty pots. 

After dinner I made a finally got round to starting work on the patio, but I only managed to do about a quarter of it due to an unscheduled break mid morning. This was due to being called in part way through this morning’s activities, because we had visitors. Vickie and Ian called round with some news, they’ve finally decided to tie the knot and will be getting married in October. They’ve been together over 20 years and have lived together for over 19 of them. We’ve always thought of Ian as our son in law, but now they are getting married it will be official, we’re both really happy for the two of them. It’s going to be a very small low key affair and will take place at the same registry that Sheila and I married 40 years ago.

Tonight’s tea was what we call a ‘Blue Peter’ tea, yesterday I raided the freezer and got out some chilli that I’d made a few weeks ago and left it in the fridge to defrost. So it was a nice quick and easy meal, which was washed down with a glass of red. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, grandadbob said:

*I nearly said erection but then realised some of you lot would take that the wrong way!  :jester:

Story I was told nearly 50 years ago.

A folk dance teacher from Eastern Europe was in the United States. He hadn't formally learned English, but was making do with badly pronounced French. In choreographing one dance he said, "Ze boys will approach ze girls viz great erection."  I don't think the dance was finished.

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

We brought the motor home over to stock for our trip -- depart Tuesday after the bins are emptied. It was hot and SWMBO insisted on running the engine to have A/C.

After the last trip we had to have a new microwave installed. I opened it today to take out the plastic packing to find that the door wouldn't open. The metal surround was too far forward. Four screws to take it out of the cabinet, then the surround is fastened to it with four more. But there's only one set of holes. A bit of pushing and the surround will go back 3/8" and the door opens. So back home and drill holes in sheet steel. But the surround won't fit the new holes. Finally use two new holes on the hinge side and old holes on the other. She says it's OK. Door may open enough now for most cooking, but I don't think a casserole will go in. 

Gassed the unit up first time since August. $100 and it's just over the half.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 

About 6.5hours sleep,  but much broken by coughing.. 

Barbeques we were extremely lucky getting ours,  a "Focus do it all" was closing down in 2011,  so we went in just to see any bargains, this was the last BBQ,  ex display, no box, but built, 5 burners one of which is a hot plate. It has a lid for smoking. 

Price?  Under. £ 100..

We got it into the car by putting down the back seats,  and taking off the legs, bottom shelf  and side shelves. 

As for today,   boat work, 

Compare my prelim drawings with the boat,  check that the  keel mounting positions are correct.

Fit some mounting brackets for the seat. 

Some sanding ,  then a protective coat of glassfibre round the cockpit. 

Cut to size and fit some trim on the outside of the cockpit. 

Measure up and see if my revised control panel ideas would work. 

Brown eyes is stareing

Time to,  take Ben the Border Collie on patrol. 

Then bacon butty and coffee.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, afternoon/ evening to others.

Woken at 2pm by some credit riding a very loud motorcycle very fast up the road outside the house. Got back to sleep to be woken again by a loud motorcycle going the other way. Pah!

Off to knaresborough to 7mpire a match , which I have been told by two players is a 50 overs a side trial match for Yorkshire U14s.

No contact from the manager..black mark there.

We shall see how it goes.

Glad you enjoyed Pride yesterday Chris. A bit of feet up R&R required today.

Have as good a day as you can

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15