The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Mawning awl,

Emergency services vehicles awailing aplenty (we aren’t too far from Ryde’s fire, rescue and ambulance depot) is a change from rumblings of KZ Towers nearby builderland. Pleasant enough journey down with only about half an hour lost on the grand gyratory car park that is also called the M25. Arrived in time for some retail therapy for her and a few essentials for me at Gunwharf Quay and then met S-I-L at Portsmouth Harbour Station where she had arrived on a train made of four very shiny green coaches clearly masquerading under false pretences as the bore the monicker (no, not the stained Lewinsky version) GWR yet were neither steam hauled nor flying banana shaped. Departure of St Clair, not the Victoria of Wight that I had hoped for, was delayed by the arrival of a Condor Ferries vessel from other islands across the channel having priority through the harbour entrance but hey-ho, worse things happen at sea. In my day, such trade arrived early morning and sailed again early evening but I guess the changes are due to tidal restrictions in St Peter Port for vessels that are now significantly larger than the one I deputised on almost 50 years ago. After a bit of tidying of garden / cleaning of barbecue etc, out to Seaview to indulge in a plate of fish, chips and mushy peas with some local brewed liquid sustenance to accompany it then home for a measure or three of stronger alcohol before bed called. A very noisy animal interrupted my sleep, I’m sure it wasn’t me!

Today’s plans include a trip to Tess’s Company to fill the cupboards and refrigerator, round to The Isle of Wight Cheese Company to get some varieties of their lovely cheeses, perhaps a visit to acquaintances of our tour party in the Seaview area (if they can be found or perhaps even want to be found?) and then off to meet the final members of the “Five go wild on an island” - a light-hearted take in the style of a certain Enid Blyton and one in which I appear as the furry canine member. In all likelihood, I am a rescued dog That is hoping to be re-homed after my new friends have got used to me :D. Who knows, I may even be taken for a walk along the beach this evening to get some sand between my toes as I am trained so they (usually) don’t need a pooper-scoop. My camera might accompany me and mayhaps something from CAMRA could be found? The weekend coincidentally sees The Isle of Wight Steam Railway holding a 40’s themed weekend. As I am not knowledgeable in matters Southern and my friends are not steam enthusiasts, I may miss that but just carry the camera to attempt to capture the Spitfire that is promised on the publicity.

It’s a tough life, but someone’s got to do it and it certainly is better than that faced by some ERs, you have my sympathy and best wishes.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Although it's illegal to pass those closed lane smart motorway markers  , there was a case a couple of years ago where someone challenged this in court and won... But he had been through earlier and knew they had been left on incorrectly.. The signs do have to be obayed.. but  they have to be correct..

The Home Office have learned from that case.  The law has now been changed and since 10 Jun 19, passing a sign displaying a lane closed red cross is now deemed the same as passing a red traffic light.  The gantry camera and ANPR reader records the offence and you get a fixed penalty of £100. 

The smart motorways are generating a vast revenue in fines for speeding and other offences such as mobile phone misuse or not wearing a seat belt as drivers fail to realise that even if the gantry signs show clear, the camera units are active and recording 24/7.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The smart motorways are generating a vast revenue in fines for speeding and other offences such as mobile phone misuse or not wearing a seat belt as drivers fail to realise that even if the gantry signs show clear, the camera units are active and recording 24/7.

Closing a lane or lanes in the event of an incident is clearly a very sensible precaution and drivers should follow such directions however The many whinings of Bedfordshire’s Chief Constable a couple of years back seems to have brought fruit and simply confirmed my suspicions that these symbols of a totalitarian state serve the dual purposes of fleecing the U.K. motorist (foreign registered vehicles aren’t pursued with any vigour) and giving more power to a special variety of parasitic citizen who gets paid from the taxes already levied on the fewer and fewer of us earning an honest crust.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

Morning, late on parade, no reason, just lazy, the trip to Nurse Dracula went well, blood pressure " well within normal limits, see you next year ", some of the nicest words to hear I guess. Dull but dry here, no idea what I shall do, waiting for a bridge kit, so muddling held up a bit, lights not great for photographing wildlife and can't be bothered with fishing due to poor catches just now in the area, ho hum, could always inspect some eyelids lol.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica has abated somewhat but still gives the odd warning to be careful. A couple of Ibuprofen with breakfast this morning should keep it in check. ChrisF, the colours of the boots are perfectly natural but in the wrong order, Richard Of York Goes Battling In Vain. Though it might be that the Leprechauns have the legal rights.:jester:

• Like 11
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

just getting some respite from Her she going for a facial to get the tach, beard, Etc. Lasered,  Its here clearing the clutter I've now removed half of the layout boards to the skip along

with piles of here garden stuff she has left in my way I don't think she can grasp what clearing means. :banghead:

I popped in to see the little big fella he was pleases to see me I've stashed a few more boxes at the daughters out of harms way from Her she is still seething from my insults yesterday.

As it pulled up this morning I was talking to one of the widowed neighbours Pam as soon as she see the ##### she said I'll come and chat late when she's gone. 

Stomach calls I've a Horrorsons breakfast in a box quiet nice for a quick snack.:superman: B.Ellirumbles :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Well that didn't work! Big parcel ie BBQ not arriving today.  Somebody has c#cked it up and it wasn't me! Multiple apologies and a delivery charge refund coming.

It is promised for tomorrow. Won't hold my breath.

Naffed off of Sutton.

We bought our BBQ from a local garden centre. It was keenly priced and in stock. I could have taken it away but there was the option of delivery for £20 which included assembly, testing and a load of accessories that would have been more than £20. I asked does anyone turn down the offer and he said yes. 

Perhaps we will use it this year, perhaps when the weather warms up a bit more. 

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Tony Don't forget proper PPE when using them Including a crash hat and goggles .   :punish:    :jester:

Her is still here and she is staying overnight to satisfy a legal element, basically dropping herself in the carp silly cow she won't learn.

Must get on :superman:D. Ontgivafig.:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

We duly noted noted the downright daft statue of a mermaid the town purchased a couple of years back is back in its little bit of riverside garden and not yet dumped in the river.  We live in hope that it will once again go that way before too long or maybe with a real dose of luck on our side somebody will pinch it this time round and it won't be back.  Apart from being about as completely inappropriate as you can think of for a Thames side town why the heck has it got a leg turning into a sort of mermaid tail and another leg looking like - a human leg?

Rather floozy-ish. Anyway, aren't mermaids saltwater creatures? Sabrina at Bridgnorth is much more the thing - the tutelary deity. Father Thames would have been much more appropriate as well as being closer to the average age of a Henley resident...

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

Well what a damp day we have had, I went to my little bird hide in the local forest, when I say mine, I didn't build it, but not many folk know it exists, usually only me going there in the week. Got a few nice pictures and the fresh air was very fresh, time for cider and tea and a snooze...………………..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Mawning awl,

Emergency services vehicles awailing aplenty (we aren’t too far from Ryde’s fire, rescue and ambulance depot) is a change from rumblings of KZ Towers nearby builderland. Pleasant enough journey down with only about half an hour lost on the grand gyratory car park that is also called the M25. Arrived in time for some retail therapy for her and a few essentials for me at Gunwharf Quay and then met S-I-L at Portsmouth Harbour Station where she had arrived on a train made of four very shiny green coaches clearly masquerading under false pretences as the bore the monicker (no, not the stained Lewinsky version) GWR yet were neither steam hauled nor flying banana shaped. Departure of St Clair, not the Victoria of Wight that I had hoped for, was delayed by the arrival of a Condor Ferries vessel from other islands across the channel having priority through the harbour entrance but hey-ho, worse things happen at sea. In my day, such trade arrived early morning and sailed again early evening but I guess the changes are due to tidal restrictions in St Peter Port for vessels that are now significantly larger than the one I deputised on almost 50 years ago. After a bit of tidying of garden / cleaning of barbecue etc, out to Seaview to indulge in a plate of fish, chips and mushy peas with some local brewed liquid sustenance to accompany it then home for a measure or three of stronger alcohol before bed called. A very noisy animal interrupted my sleep, I’m sure it wasn’t me!

Today’s plans include a trip to Tess’s Company to fill the cupboards and refrigerator, round to The Isle of Wight Cheese Company to get some varieties of their lovely cheeses, perhaps a visit to acquaintances of our tour party in the Seaview area (if they can be found or perhaps even want to be found?) and then off to meet the final members of the “Five go wild on an island” - a light-hearted take in the style of a certain Enid Blyton and one in which I appear as the furry canine member. In all likelihood, I am a rescued dog That is hoping to be re-homed after my new friends have got used to me :D. Who knows, I may even be taken for a walk along the beach this evening to get some sand between my toes as I am trained so they (usually) don’t need a pooper-scoop. My camera might accompany me and mayhaps something from CAMRA could be found? The weekend coincidentally sees The Isle of Wight Steam Railway holding a 40’s themed weekend. As I am not knowledgeable in matters Southern and my friends are not steam enthusiasts, I may miss that but just carry the camera to attempt to capture the Spitfire that is promised on the publicity.

It’s a tough life, but someone’s got to do it and it certainly is better than that faced by some ERs, you have my sympathy and best wishes.

If you get the chance, head over to the Godshill Cider Barn, and also to Fort Victoria just beyond Yarmouth; there's more than just a model railway there!.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

A pleasant 75C here and our 'hood is choc-a-bloc with people who decided it would be a good idea to commemorate the day when Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith thwarted an alien invasion (I used to be one myself) by coming to the lake and making as much noise as possible, Some pillock has his caravan parked in the adjacent development. He was still running his generator at 11:00 pm last night no doubt to power his gigantic TV. Fortunately our bedroom is on the other side of the house.

I was able to participate in the general cacophony this morning by operating my newly restored chipper/shredder. The boat might be deployed later to observe everyone whizzing away large amounts of disposable income on fireworks, not that I'll be buying any.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afterrnoon all,

Apart from being about as completely inappropriate as you can think of for a Thames side town why the heck has it got a leg turning into a sort of mermaid tail and another leg looking like - a human leg?

Mermaids have to have divided tails/ legs to deal with - er, practical details, you see, else being half fish isn’t much fun.  I could draw you a picture if you want but they wouldn’t let me put it on here.

one more thing while I’m on, some of us are still tossing around off Harwich. Any more piccys to come from your voyage, please?

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Morning all from another sunny day in Surrey.

yesterday the cladding to the shed was completed apart from an infill piece above and below the windows. Might get done today but we shall see.

Then it was to doctors for blood pressure teste and blood sample before they would renew the prescription that is needed whilst across the pond. BP was fine - would be nice if they reduce the prescription but we shall see.

Then to Mums where I trimmed a few hedges for her including cutting the long grass on the opposite road verge as it makes it difficult seeing traffic when coming out of the side road. Also took the opportunity to load the heavy piece of stone worktop that I was contemplating using inside the shed but it will now become an outside workbench.

Today its more working on HO scale American outline locos that need checking after last weekends show.

PS - Happy Independence Day (and hoping there is no alien invasion) to those across the pond.

Being the 4th July, the locals will go mad tonight with fireworks all evening!  Hate it, our cat hates it and probably so does  anyone else, animal or human.  It wasn't always like this for someone who had boxes of Pains and Standard fireworks and delighted in letting them off to others annoyance!  This lasted through the teen years but here a lot of drunken old gits delight in setting off illegal bangers obtained from reservation fire works  stands which proliferate this time of year.  They are often much too loud and the rockets start forest fires  and even burn down houses let alone the inevitable eye or hand injury!

On another topic, yesterday we had to get the car smogged for the last time as the requirement is being dropped next year.  It passed as it has done these last twenty years or so and on the way home decided we would get some lunch, stopping off at a waterfront restaurant where we found todays airshow practice was in view.  A front row seat indeed as old biplanes performed stunt manoeuvres over the bay.  This was followed by a performance by  Harrier who danced up and down sideways and backwards to show off its abilities.  Then a flypast by a Douglas Skyraider from a local museum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Flight_Museum  which was joined by a Navy jet fighter in formation.  The jet finally gave some very fast and low high speed runs and other aerobatics; all worth the price of lunch!:biggrin_mini:

Bad sign; the fireworks are going off all ready and its just turned mid day!:ireful:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7