The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 hours ago, AndyID said:

Most likely a Southern V Class "Schools" although, according to my 1959 Observer's Book Of Railway Locomotives Of Britain, possibly a LNER V-2 as one of them was named "St. Peter's School, York, A.D.627" (Not sure how they managed to fit that on the nameplate.)

ACE trains did a pink St Trinians

Brian.

pink schools.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

With a brilliant bit of work (watched a video) beast 2 baz 4...can now use Waze direct on car screen.

Chris..brilliant boots. Wear them at Pride with pride! Make sure you break them in. I have a colleague who wears Doc Martin shoes to work. He reckons they are very comfortable.

Close match today . Yorkshire Ridings over 60s defeating Cheshire in the last over.

TTFN

Baz

• Like 18

Evening all, a pleasant day again with grass cutting one of the main chores done, with SWMBO poorly I've also been doubling as a nurse, scary sight 6 foot 4 of bearded ex rugby player trying to be gentle lol (think Sebastian Chabal, though I have now had a hair cut).

A bit more muddling done with more fiddle yarding going on, now need to source a lot points as I've run out. New road bridge ordered as the ones I built  previously were , well, very home made looking, I intend to make as much as I can, but I want this looking the part.

Hope all are well.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I'm with Dave on not having a smart phone, in fact I don't even have a mobile. I have a credit card and they keep asking me to sign up for text messages when an internet transaction takes place to confirm that I have made a transaction. As the only internet payments I make are via Paypal I'm not too concerned.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Good progress has been made in the cellar, Ian was initially hoping to finish all in one day, but due to the complexity of the rooms shape, I had my doubts. But he has done all the downstairs walls and some the downstairs ceiling, all that’s left is the ceiling and wall above the stairs, he’s coming back tomorrow morning to finish it all off. I haven’t done an awful lot, mainly act as he’s labourer and generally tidying up the areas where he’d finished and keeping the mixing tools clean so he could carry on with the plastering. 

This evening James and Amelia came round for tea, but they were very late getting here tonight. They usually arrive here between 4:45 - 5:00, but it was almost 5:35 when they got here, apparently the traffic was very heavy for some reason. I generally start tea so we can sit down to eat just after 5:00. Tonight we had sausage, beans and chips, luckily I’d not started cooking the sausages, as they would have been cinders by the time they actually got here. I’d put the chips in the oven about 4:30, when it looked like they were going to be late, I turned them right down, so they too wouldn’t get burnt to a crisp.

Chris, love the boots!

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

With a brilliant bit of work (watched a video) beast 2 baz 4...can now use Waze direct on car screen.

Chris..brilliant boots. Wear them at Pride with pride! Make sure you break them in. I have a colleague who wears Doc Martin shoes to work. He reckons they are very comfortable.

Close match today . Yorkshire Ridings over 60s defeating Cheshire in the last over.

TTFN

Baz

You might try Navmii too. It works without a network connection.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Good morning one and all

It is so good to read in these hallowed portals of shawms and crumhorns.  I have been a sucker for the latter ever since I stumbled across that wonderful band Gryphon circa 1973.  If you see someone blowing a reed instrument that looks like an overgrown walking stick, that’s a crumhorn.  Even better is the mention by Coombe Barton of Blondel.  I should take time out from my pursuit of new music and investigate that band, though how available their records are I dread to think.  How fortunate we are to be blessed with lovers of culture.  If the day should ever come when we all like the same music, it will be a sad one indeed.  I was, by the way, delighted to find on YouTube a video of the Young’uns performing Be The Man at Glastonbury.  In the next month or so I will be seeing two choirs.  One I don’t yet know but the other I know very well indeed and they know me.  There will be words in ears about a certain song and we’ll see what happens.

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions about my new boots!  I have another pair which are not of DM parentage and learned at Exeter in May that I cannot dance in them, which is a bit unhelpful when you discover this at a ceilidh.  As soon as I have configured the laces to my satisfaction I will put the boots into service for short periods.  81C, the whole point of those boots is their rainbow colour scheme!  A fellow traveller on the Antipodean made me aware of their existence but had I bought a pair in Auckland I would never have got them in my suitcase.  Dave, sunglasses are a good idea, unaccustomed as I am to the cool dude look.  You may rest assured that I will not be wearing The Tie on Saturday but one of three suitable T shirts, two of which I am very lucky to have just acquired.  The Tie could well appear on Thursday evening though as I will be in distinguished company at the Independent conference.  Even I have to look the part once in a while.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

I got home yesterday prepared my evening meal and a hot toddy, had them and....

Woke up 3 hours later, when Ben the Border Collie started charging around, to tell me our car with SWMBO had arrived home..

I needed the sleep, but it made it difficult to get to sleep later and it was one hour sleeps with wake up to roll over and have a coughing fit.. the muscles in my chest hurt now..,

I've realised there's missing a parcel (fendering for the boat) which was supposed to be here Monday, on a 48 hour delivery. When I get home i'll make the appropriate emails..

The route home has now changed to the summer avoid as many "effin pedestrian clowns" as possible, this avoids the two traffic lighted pedestrian crossings, the narrow river bridge, and the section where the Effin clowns like to think they can wander across the traffic on an A road. Another advantage of this route is there is about to be more roadworks on the normal route as another watermain has burst.. 

It's bright sunny and cloudless out there, and we should get more sunlight in the lab through the plastic as the builders are due back today for more work. 

I'm still working on the major system and have to rerun two 48 minute sections this morning,  before I can go on, as you paste good results into the spread sheets, it often reveals other  bits that need a rerun later.

The "Owners" of this unit are getting upset as to why it isn't back, well it wouldn't be back yet even on a perfect run. But I don't think they will get it until tomorrow.

But first 

Time to check the company spam..

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning to most! ( other times are available in ER land).

Nice and sunny this morning.

Mugatea has been delivered by her indoors so I had better drink it.

Enjoy whatever you do today.

Baz

• Like 19

Morning All,

I am slightly later on parade this morning as I had a couple of things to sort out in the office.

We have a very pleasant morning temperature wise - Much better!

Time for a coffee.  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Clear blue-ish skies over north Herts, hopefully this will be maintained over the Isle of Wight for the next week. Last night’s cribbage wasn’t too successful as I was on the winning side only twice out of seven games but it’s good company all the same. Prior to that, a purchaser arrived to collect my old dSLR camera and he left with us both happy bunnies. The G word was acted upon yesterday afternoon so Chateau KZ looks neat and tidy.

Car to be packed after a leisurely breakfast then orf we jolly well go but via local town to pay in a few crisp notes from yesterday’s trading. SWMBO has decreed that we should visit Gunwharf Keys for some retail therapy before our appointed ferry departs from Portsmouth. I hope it is the Victoria of Wight as I am keen to see this vessel that is far less environmentally damaging than its predecessors. My next contribution should be from the garden of our temporary home on the island, sipping something alcoholic and taking in the less polluted evening air.

Have a good day one and all (whatever you may be getting up to) and as Baz Lurman crooned a few years ago, wear sunscreen!

• Like 19

Jamie said "This morning I'm off to help a friend dismantle a rather dangerous and unguarded home built circular saw.   he doesn't want his grandchildren injuring themselves on it.  It should be an enjoyable morning.   Apart from that, not a lot to report."

Jamie, if you need a third pair of hands, whatever you do, don't invite GDB, otherwise there won't be a third pair of hands assisting you!

Signed by the GDB Preservation Society.

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

If the day should ever come when we all like the same music, it will be a sad one indeed. 

You make a very important point there Chrisf, one that should perhaps extend to cover opinions and even thoughts given today’s verbal and even physical assaults on those who don’t hold the same view as the perpetrator.

It is all very well blaming such behaviour on politicians but it is something that pervades our society and is fuelled by the unaccountability of today’s communication methods. In days of old, it was a case of “you're as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine”. That may have occasioned the very rare punch in the nose but it Almost never went beyond that. Today, we see and hear of so many organised protests about so much, it seems we are in a society that searches for reasons to be offended.

Rant over!

• Like 10
  • Agree 8

Morning all, bright and a bit of light cloud scudding about, looks like it might be nice, a visit to the nurse to have my blood pressure checked ( put on a bit of weight and pressure crept up a bit, this was however taken just I was going to the operating theatre for an extraction of Gall bladder so hardly surprising I thought) then the day is mine. Might go for a cycle ride or fishing if the river has dropped after all the rain.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I thought this was supposed to be  "Be kind to GDB week?"  :scratchhead:

That was the kind version.

You only lost your hands.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14