The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all smile.gif

Pretty foggy this morning so I let Dad drop me off.

As mentioned in my status update yesterday I didn't get any modelling done but I did manage to record some blues improv on my out-of-tune piano!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir6eHRo66eg

If that doesn't embed the link is here: Blues Improv 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm confused - we've got Save and Dave purporting to be Max.

Will the real Max Stafford please step forward....

He'll be able to ride forward after doing the Cycle Proficiency Course tomorrow.

What film did you see, Robert?

Becket - with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole. I don't recollect having seen it before - and it was quite reasonable.

22000 words too long.

Ouch! :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Ouch! :blink:

She did have to send of an "abstract" last week which described the dissertation on one side of A4. After the editing Aditi will have to submit it in a form where the assessment panel can question her. That is when she finds out whether or not she gets the qualification. Hopefully it will be this summer at the latest.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Save has been exposed as an identity stealing charlatan and has been duly banished. Damn predictive text and raise Virgin WiFi!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

It isn't only Dave that thinks it is Spring. Robbie has been running round the park in a most energetic manner. He was almost dry after his first swim but had another dip just before we got back to the car and then another mad run round the garden when we got home. We were a bit delayed this morning as I was waiting for a courier to deliver a book but at least it did come before midday.

I'm now just off to Focus DIY to get more supplies of solvent free, no nails needed type Evostik. A search of the garage only found empty tubes. Can't think why I saved empty tubes, probably too lazy to chuck/recycle them away.

Tony

The recent postings re the passing of Jet Harris took me back to my school days of the '60's and I started thinking about a guy who played drums in a school group. Turns out he is still playing drums and touring the world, backing various solo artists.

I dunno all those years of education wasted. Poor sod has spent years on the road staying in first class hotels with fast cars and even faster women no doubt. He didn't deserve that as he was quite bright in class. Had he worked at it I 'spect he could have become an accountant or a similar proper job....

Does the name Howard Tibble mean anything to you Pete?

Whilst we're on music Pete, I'd love to hear some of your stuff. Anything on YouTube?

You've got some beautiful guitars, so guess you must be pretty nifty...

Gordon,

I don't know whether it is just our age - but whenever someone mentions a name I always think: "Well, that rings a bell but from where?" - same this time!

I got some a couple of years old up on Soundclick under "peter trisonic" . Mostly arthouse soundtracks or website music like the Superman series. I must update this! Or convert to YouTube. "Fridays" - in the style of Eric Clapton, maybe?

Here's the current Soundclick link:http://www.soundclic...3&content=music

The stuff that is more rock oriented is "In the Woods" and "West from East" - I'm not playing the Dobro on "West from East" but you can hear my guitar near the end of the toon. Conversely that's me playing a National on "In the Woods" BUT via keyboard, I kid you not (I didn't have a National to hand)!

Hope you enjoy - even if you don't you can tell me......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I just had a look to see if any musicians (or in fact anyone famous/infamous) had been to my old secondary school. It doesn't even have a Wikipedia page and Google searches don't reveal much either. I think everyone except me emigrated or hid.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Any particular reason for that Tony?

Or is it something you would rather keep to yourself?

I don't know but on the old school type websites quite a few people seem to be living abroad. The only time the school I attended was famous was one year (1969?) when the headmaster inspected the line of pupils waiting to enter for their A level exams and gave them the choice of shaving their sideburns to the top of the ear or not entering the exam hall. There were some excellent teachers there but there were some (including the head) that would probably be probably OK now with the advances in psychiatric medication but then were completely free range bonkers.

I suddenly realised on being offered my first post as a teacher that the school was very similar to the one I'd attended and declined the offer. The job I actually accepted was somewhat different but at least there were lots of other new teachers due to the phenomenal staff turnover there! One year the music teacher left to take up a career as a busker! Perhaps I should have taken up the post in the nice grammar school

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Sunny again and it is to remain like this till the weekend at least. I got up shortly after 5 am again as I guess I'm still adjusting to the changing daylight hours.

Have a good day everyone!

Morning All,

Another nice Spring morning here - It is still a little on the chilly side, but we seem to be on the upward slope as far as weather is concerned.

I don't know but on the old school type websites quite a few people seem to be living abroad.

I have noticed the same - and of course, I am one of the ones that fall into that category :lol:. Having said that, there are also a lot of people who haven't moved more than five miles from where they went to school.

I am always amazed how schools have changed from when I was there (and it isn't that long ago). My secondary school was a pretty normal comprehensive, with pretty normal teachers (although there were one or two characters) but from 4-11 I went to a private Prep School. That was a totally different kettle of fish. Some of the teachers that were there would never get away with some of the things they did today. Talk about discipline! They ranged from bordering on normal, to completely and utterly barking!

As far as famous pupils to pass through my Prep school - James Hunt, of F1 fame was a pupil, as was Richard Mason who carries the dubious honour of being the last person to be eaten by Cannibals in South America.

Happy days!

Have a good one everybody...

Morning all....:)

Lousy night, but off to hospital today to hopefully get the OK on back surgery. Please do it soon...

The OP dept is down hundreds of yards of corridors and out of my range, so Mrs S has to push me in a wheelchair. It's interesting to experience how people change when confronted with a someone in a wheelchair. They either completely ignore me and talk to Mrs S or talk to me as though I've lost my marbles...

Mind you the new unshaven look does make me look like Jack Nicholson in The Shining, so perhaps I just frighten them.....B)

Heeeeere's Gooordon! :)

Morning all!

My schools produced a few folk you might have heard of.

My senior school's alumni included Michael Gough (played Batman's butler Alfred in the 1990s movies and died last week), Ian Hogg (actor), Justice Laws (High Court judge), and Alexander Armstrong (Armstrong and Miller Show and Have I Got News For You), plus some county cricketers and England rugby players.

My junior school's alumni included Will Todd (composer), Rowan Atkinson and a certain chap called Tony Blair...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Weather could go either way this morning, and here we are, 45156 has the rest of the week off - starting with having to stay in for the fridge engineer and the builder, both of whom are meant to call this morning.

Now then, famous former pupils of my school, well there must be some, but I can't really think of any apart from the children's TV presenter and actor, Iain Lauchlan (not his real name, though - I knew him as Iain MacPherson) who was the co creator of The Tweenies, and also the former rail union leader, Jimmy Knapp. Iain was in my year, Mr Knapp left before I arrived.

Gordon I could't agree more about attitudes to people in wheelchairs, as I had the exact same experience when I was being wheeled round the hospital while my hip was bad. It is ignorance, and the perpetrators are actually pitiable, and 30747 who was with me on at least one occasion really gave these idiots the sharp side of her tongue - not a nice thing to receive at all. Good luck at the hospital - hope the news is what you want and expect.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Oktas all in place. No famous names from any of my schools as far as I can remember. A lot of the folks I went to secondary school with seem to have spent a fair bit of time being accomodated by Her Majesty. In fact I think our school should have been approved by Her but they forgot.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Jam - I just went back and had a listen to your blues offering (something I can't do at work) and I really liked the playing, though that piano sounds more out of tune than last time. It reminds me of a guy called Crazy Otto, who played ragtime on an out of tune piano - though not as far out of tune as yours! LOL :lol:

• Like 1