The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

I don't quite think that's what the highway code says though...

The highway code only says you should use the correct lane it doesn't say that you must.  In law, should not is very different from cannot.

There have been a lot of discussions on straight lining on a number of motoring forums and the general consensus of opinion is that although it is not recommended, there is nothing in writing to say it is against the law, and providing you are driving in a safe and sensible manner and do not cause any other road user inconvenience, no offence has been committed.

One of the police driving instructors I've had dealing with did point out that the safest and quickest route between two points is a straight line.

Of course, it is the individual driver's perception of what is a safe and sensible manner which is usually questioned by the police officer.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon from a wet Surrey. As yesterday was a nice day we had quite a few beers in Croydon. Every time I go there the whole town looks more tatty with so many shops closed but at least there are a few very good pubs / bars amongst the carp ones. 

Today I started fitting the skirting in the shed. two lengths fitted but had to stop as the timber cladding came a day early after they rang to see if this was OK. 21 out of 60 lengths now moved through house to garden but at least its not raining at the moment.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a boring day today. Niffnaff and trivia dealt with, some ineptitude on the part of insurance company personnel seen to, and more writing of a book I'm due to finish this year carried out. At the moment I'm giving two of my three typing fingers a rest (I only use one for ER posts) and having a well-deserved muggocoffee. 

Does anyone know where I can get a 16BA tap at a sensible price? The only thing I've been able to find so far is a set of first, second and taper at the 'special reduced' price of £75. All I want is a taper but that seems an impossibility now. Although Squires web site still lists them, it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and their new catalogue doesn't feature them.

TTFN

Dave

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 81C said:

Afternoon all 

It looks as if I have found a new home a very large 2 bed flat in a retirement block in Alton full of old wrinkles' I'm old but I've got no wrinkles ask GDB I've made an offer on it and this place has gone on the market :crazy:  I can start planning my new layout now another plus with Alton along with Alton Models  it has a weatherspoons but is not like the usual sh!t'oles it very smart and new there were no scruff in there yesterday.

Her has been playing the dirt box again it's been in evil mode for weeks I've hidden the knives just like the old days it wants to come round tomorrow to talk tell me or show off her new car YAWN .  

I've just got a new bank account for myself so her can touch any of my dosh and she doesn't like the way I'm getting this sorted out too quickly for Her liking tough sh!t the Wills being changed and 

I'll be filing for divorce whooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

Hope it all works out for you. Divorces are often messy and can be pretty stressful so don’t let yourself get too wound up, despite any provocation. If you get letters from her solicitor, make sure you have one who can respond on your behalf to avoid you being tricked.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Hospital visit OK and blood and pictures taken. Didn't get to the hospital cafe though as a shortage of phlebotomists meant a longer wait than usual so had to then go straight to X-ray. Never mind, made up for it when I got home.

It's been tipping it down all afternoon but I have managed to place a timber order and also went out and bought a chop/mitre saw. Hopefully some layout board construction will start tomorrow.

Kids here doing homework and sausage, mash etc on the menu. Speckled Hen being downed whilst waiting for food.

Warning - chopsaws are so named because they chop things GDB and we like having you around with all your (remaining) faculties :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I know I have a certain reputation, mainly for banging my head and drawing blood but trust me, where power tools are concerned I am extremely careful.

I am quite fond of all my digits. :rolleyes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

In Idaho the code says "you must not change lanes in a multi-lane roundabout" which always strikes me as bluddy silly. If you are in the left (inside) lane how the heck can you ever get off the blinking thing without changing lanes?

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 81C said:

I'll be filing for divorce whooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

From W.H. Smith.  I can't resist a bargain so I bought two just in case I ever need them.

IMG_0127.JPG.fd0ef9014d49eb40326550598ea00455.JPG

• Funny 19

10 minutes ago, BoD said:

I can't resist a bargain so I bought two just in case I ever need them.

"Buy 1, get 1 HALF price" - inconceivable! In what universe does one need two of this item (at once! - or ever!)?

I was once imparted some wisdom on divorce. "Divorces are settled according to the 50/50 rule. Your spouse gets 50% of everything, and 50% of everything after that." In the early days it didn't feel that much of an exaggeration.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Utah?

Not even there - unless we're talking about the border with Arizona. (There I suspect the niceties of the legal system might be overlooked.)

The funniest thing to me is that you would need two sets of CDs to print multiple sets of the same forms. Surely one CD could used in case of subsequent need, or even simultaneous need?

• Like 9

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Also awake Mr Plod...  a Black Audi stopped by a blue flashing light car a few hundred feet past a NDR roundabout. MR Plod taking details.. My guess at that time of the morning with little traffic around.. straight lining the roundabout not using the correct lanes..

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Q, we were taught to use all the lanes on the road, as long as it was clear and safe to do so without causing any other vehicles to alter their speed or course. One instructor had a favourite comment. "You've paid your road tax for the whole road, USE it."

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

I don't quite think that's what the highway code says though...

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The highway code only says you should use the correct lane it doesn't say that you must.  In law, should not is very different from cannot.

There have been a lot of discussions on straight lining on a number of motoring forums and the general consensus of opinion is that although it is not recommended, there is nothing in writing to say it is against the law, and providing you are driving in a safe and sensible manner and do not cause any other road user inconvenience, no offence has been committed.

One of the police driving instructors I've had dealing with did point out that the safest and quickest route between two points is a straight line.

Of course, it is the individual driver's perception of what is a safe and sensible manner which is usually questioned by the police officer.

Can someone help me out with "straight lining the roundabout"?

I am familiar with roundabouts, including the ones with multiple lanes.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, AndyID said:

What used to be known as "traffic circles"

I always thought that to be a East Coast expression - DC, New York and New England. The original ones were quite large - Columbus Circle, NY, Dupont Circle, DC, etc.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

11 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Evening all,

A solar orbital event some time ago delivered into my grasp a rather acceptable gift.

So, heads up cheese lovers. I can heartily recommend the Black Bomber from the Snowdonia Cheese Company. 

No connection to the company myself, apart from their product is now lining my tummy and liver! 

Modelling tokens were also offered, although at present no idea what to spend them on.

Maybe a 3kg wheel of Black Bomber!! :yes:

Try the Red Storm as well(I think it's made by the same folk).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Try the Red Storm as well(I think it's made by the same folk).

Yes, indeed. My haul was three truckles, which also included Red Storm and Green Thunder.

EDIT: I meant Red devil. Oooh, good. I'll have to take up your recommendation for the Red Storm next! 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Can someone help me out with "straight lining the roundabout"?

I am familiar with roundabouts, including the ones with multiple lanes.

It means taking the most direct route across a roundabout*

So, for example if going straight ahead on a two lane roundabout  instead of sticking to the outer lane all the way round you would enter the outer lane criss to the inner lane back to the outer lane and leave the roundabout.  As close to following a straight line as you can. When taking the first exit (turning left in th UK) drivers often straddle both lanes to maintain speed, again as close to a straight line as possible.

* you can drive straight across the central island if you want but that can be a bit bumpy.**

** unless it’s a mini roundabout which are complete abominations.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Yes, indeed. My haul was three truckles, which also included Red Storm and Green Thunder.

EDIT: I meant Red devil. Oooh, good. I'll have to take up your recommendation for the Red Storm next! 

And I thought I was a cheesaholic!

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

6 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Especially nice with an Islay malt whisky

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8