The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Kitchener streetcar line has had another accident -- 4th since May 30. It looks as if the bodywork at the bottom of the front of the car is fiberglass and cracks when struck. (We had a car that did that).  Needs to be replaced with a nice cast iron cowcatcher. And they're not running yet.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

Morning All,

We have another nice bright morning today, and the temperature is quite pleasant.  However, it is set to get rather warm later on.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The sun is shining..her indoors feeling a lot better, last horse tablet taken..almost be well in the world!

Enjoy your day everyone!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

Off to see the practice diabolical diabetes nurse soon, as I become a slave to blood glucose figures.

It'll be interesting to see if its delivered helpfully or in sanctimonious lecture terms, also if it is the delicious Maryrose then it will be difficult to concentrate....'till she sticks a needle in me anyway.

I found it funny that several of the nurses involved with the lecture and initial assessments were.. err... um..barrel shaped...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning from an overcast Charente.   

Q, we were taught to use all the lanes on the road, as long as it was clear and safe to do so without causing any other vehicles to alter their speed or course. One instructor had a favourite comment. "You've paid your road tax for the whole road, USE it."

Jamie

I don't quite think that's what the highway code says though...

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Morning, bright and breezy today and the weathers not bad either...……………………..(that's as good as it gets this time of day)some of the "G" word to do plus time to be spent in TOSH, soldering of droppers day.....yahoo.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining, well it is shining behind all those clouds. Breakfast has been consumed and I will shortly set off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. Whilst I’m out, Sheila will talk to the surgery for an appointment, so the house will probably be empty when I get back. The Waitrose Grand Prix will also be completed this afternoon, when we will pick up the things that we can no longer get at Sainsbury’s.

This evening we have James and Amelia coming for tea, sausage and chips is on the menu, mmmmmmm. 

Back later. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is overcast but it does look as if it could clear a bit. 

I too have a blood test this afternoon but not fasting. I have just started an additional medication so I think my GP wants to monitor whether it is working or if I need more. 

Neil. I think fear of being “lectured” by the diabetic nurse probably delayed Aditi doing something about her symptoms. However all the medical staff have been totally supportive and positive. Once she retired her diabetic control was much better. 

Have a good day. 

Tony

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. So far I've managed to avoid type 2 diabetes, perhaps not having a sweet tooth helps. A young fellow in my model railway club is type 1 and he's given me a few tips on what can be eaten and what can't. I have been checking packaging for salt content for years so its a simple matter to check for sugar content as well. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

Off to see the practice diabolical diabetes nurse soon, as I become a slave to blood glucose figures.

It'll be interesting to see if its delivered helpfully or in sanctimonious lecture terms, also if it is the delicious Maryrose then it will be difficult to concentrate....'till she sticks a needle in me anyway.

Neil

There are some great books about food suitable for diabetics, but be honest a lot of it is common sense. The biggest change that Sheila found was no snacking in between meals. Initially that was hard, but now she wouldn’t even consider it. Another big change was looking at the labels on food and checking the sugar, salt and fat contents, but again you soon get used to that too, it just a pity that there isn’t a STANDARD format for how the information is displayed.

Although I’m not diabetic, I generally eat the same foods (well mostly) that Sheila eats and over the last few years I’ve lost almost 3 stone. At my heaviest I weighed 17 1/2 stone, I’m currently just over 14 1/2 stone. Considering I still drink beer, wine moderately, (we make a bottle last is 2-3 nights) the occasional short and I eat pies/pasties about once a week, I don’t think I’ve done too bad at all. The worst food really is all the convenience food, these are usually high in both sugar and fat, it’s one of the main reasons that I make a lot of our own, particularly cakes soups, as they are so easy to make and you know exactly what goes into them.

It can be done, you just have to be strict with yourself, as it is all to easy to slip.

Good luck. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

I find it hard to say no to my lovely diabetes nurse as well. :-) And the first one was even more gorgeous.

But don't become a slave to the blood glucose levels. You may well find that the best guide is how you feel yourself.

For a condition that has been known about for 2000 years, medical science still knows very little about diabetes and does indeed tend to a combination of sanctimonious lectures and plain dumbing-down. It drives me nuts!

They assume that all diabetics are fat/overweight. Wrong.

All sugars/carbohydrates will have the same effect on you. Wrong again.

And so many other generalisations.

• Like 14
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

It'll be interesting to see if its delivered helpfully or in sanctimonious lecture terms

We've got one of them at our SUGARY. . . . she won't see me anymore because  wouldn't take her seriously.

The other nurses I see are all O.K.. . . .informative without lecturing... and the doctors don't help much . . . "well. . .you've got to have a treat sometimes". . . I finished that off with. ."but not the whole family bag!"

As has already been said, just be sensible and practice moderation.

I found the hardest bit was foregoing sugar in my tea. . . . . about 10 cups per day.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Back safely from the fang mender.  Good news and bad news.   No procedure today but he has said that in his opinion the next tooth along needs a crown as well.   Only about 25% of the bill is covered by the National Health scheme so I have a "Devis" aka estimate to take to our top up insurance company to get authorisation.   The great upside of this is that I will have to sit and talk to the fair and tall Laetitia.  There's a silver lining to every cloud. When I got back the sight of yet another line of washing out drying made me think that I better attack the ironing.  Beth was out shopping so I dulled the pain by listening to five live sports extra for the England Afghanistan match.   After a slow start they're doing well.   Beth brought some fresh sardines back for lunch and they have gone down well as well.   Over lunch we had a conversation as to how to convert some of our abundant cherry crop into cherry brandy.  This process will be helped along by a bottle of "Eau de Vie" of approx. 75% abv that has appeared.  Living within the boundaries of the Cognac appellation has it's advantages. If the process goes well, perhaps I should invite Charlie Boy.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

Moaning all.

The "car" continues to be a problem, hoped to pick it up yesterday but after they replaced the struts, of course it needed an alignment. Various parts rusted beyond use so they need replacing before the alignment can be done. <kaching> "it's only money" :O

Yesterday evening was the delayed Fathers Day get together and lovely dinner with the family, and most enjoyable it was. The Mrs even managed to get me a new Garden Gnome (I love the silliness of having one in the undergrowth, can't explain why) and our last one was in bad shape. This one is nearly a foot tall, and will find a place in the front garden watching over the new abode :)

Today - IF the car is ready - we'll be heading to the lake cabin for an overnight. Mostly to mow the lawn and clean the place as the upcoming weekend is the turn of the other half of the family. They don't take kindly to it not being in perfect condition and as we had no transport this past weekend we weren't able to get it done then.

14 and sunny first thing and headed for 24 and mostly sunny all day.

Enjoy Chewsday everyone.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning from an overcast Charente.   

Baz, is that the BARV that I think was the last Centurion chassis in use by the British Army IIRC, used in Kuwait I think.

Jamie

It was used by the Royal Marines.

The Centurion Avre (complete with spigot mortar) was used in Gulf War one. Extra armour but still petrol fuel

Baz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8