The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder how the Dorset cheese gets across the Atlantic. Do such products go by ship or fly?

It's aged for 15 months so there's no great rush to get it here. Judging by the number of customers Costco has in North America they can probably export a boat-load of the stuff.

During the dark days of the 2008 melt-down I noticed that people were spending money at our local Costco like drunken sailors. The stock price was well down so I bought quite a lot. The mistake I made was not buying enough.

The good people at Ford Farm in Dorset have tapped into a market that's probably far greater than the domestic UK market, and more power to them.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The good people at Ford Farm in Dorset have tapped into a market that's probably far greater than the domestic UK market, and more power to them

According to Wikipedia, in 2017, Costco has 90.3 million members (presumably worldwide). Given that not everyone in a household would have a Costco memberships, this represents a very large number of consumers - certainly much more than the domestic UK market.

Frankly I am surprised it is that many but it pretty much proves your thesis. I did have a membership years ago but don't any longer - mostly because I live alone and can't consume the minimum volumes available for purchase quickly enough.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The one that was really admired was Red Leicester. 

#1 Daughter sent me a selection of UK cheeses for my recent 70th orbit. There was some Red Leicester. I enjoyed it but MrsID was less keen.

• Like 18

35 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

According to Wikipedia, in 2017, Costco has 90.3 million members (presumably worldwide). Given that not everyone in a household would have a Costco memberships, this represents a very large number of consumers - certainly much more than the domestic UK market.

That could make the annual revenue around 100 x 50 x 90 million dollars ($450 billion) but let's say it's only $200 billion.

Which does raise an interesting question. Countries, or associated countries (like for example the EC or even the US), impose certain barriers to free-trade, but at the end of the day, will global retailers simply overwhelm artificial political boundaries? If that's the case the UK could be sitting in the catbird seat ;)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

5 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That could make the annual revenue around 100 x 50 x 90 million dollars ($450 billion) but say let's it's only $200 billion

From the same Wikipedia page, 2018 revenues are US$141B.  I haven't looked at annual reports. I assume this is worldwide revenue.

$5k per member is high but your $200B guess was close. 70% of the warehouse stores are in the US.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Happy birthday Brian. you're only as old as  the woman you feel :)

My bold - so that makes me three years younger.............

Cheers,

MIck

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's aged for 15 months so there's no great rush to get it here. Judging by the number of customers Costco has in North America they can probably export a boat-load of the stuff.

During the dark days of the 2008 melt-down I noticed that people were spending money at our local Costco like drunken sailors. The stock price was well down so I bought quite a lot. The mistake I made was not buying enough.

The good people at Ford Farm in Dorset have tapped into a market that's probably far greater than the domestic UK market, and more power to them.

I'm not surprised to hear that Coastal is from Ford Farm (I had never checked). Ford Farm is part of a much larger business, Barber's whose main base is at Ditcheat (near Evercreech Jct). As Ford Farm, they also do Dorset Smoked Red.

The 15 months aging would be before packaging. But once packaged it has a "best before" date of about 3 months, so plenty of time to get it across the Atlantic.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A poor nights sleep 4 hours solid followed by an hour trying to get comfortable, giving up then the sofa and an hours intermittant dozing,

No rain this morning but drizzle, as I took a long way to work as BT have closed the most direct route for 3 days.

Real Cheddar, Cheddar Cheese and local to Cheddar Scrumpy  Cider  = heaven.. Used to get a real bakery loaf, real cheddar from a farm, and a gallon of Cider from another farm. £1 for the cider and 25p back on the container... this was 1975-76-77. That with an onion to make real cheese and onion Sarnies.

Made for a good weekend occasionally interupted by sailing round in ever decreasing circles round cheddar resevoir.

Often much better than the food in the Airmans Mess.  Though by no means was RAF locking catering the worst, that privalege went to RAF Swinderby followed closedly by the Army catering on Benbecula and at Driffield Barracks.

I just wish there was a costco or something similar in Norwich. I mean we don't even have a proper Ikea, just a small one that operates like argos..

Cutting lists will be made during the waits for settling of current shunts. This is for shelving inside the layout Carriages and to make bracketry for the lighting supports.  Also the official reason for A DIY Shed visit is more decking boards for SWMBOs strawberry planters, and something liquid to paint on all the cut ends.

This missive has taken 1.5 waiting periods

Time to do some cutting lists..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1