The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We get a nice and very reasonably priced Normandy brie at Costco.  The flavor becomes more intense if it is aged in the fridge for a few weeks. They also sell an excellent Dorset cheddar. The brand is Coastal.

Glad to know that Dorset produce is selling well in the US. Coastal is indeed a nice Cheddar but rather pricier here than some.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

49 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

My late father trained me similarly.

President is far too bland in either style. Almost like somerset brie

Lidls do sometimes have Brie de Meaux as do some Tes Cos and Sains berries but I will keep a look put for Le Rustique.

The best Camembert I ever had was removed from its plastic wrapper, re-wrapped in aluminIum foil and placed back in its box then buried in the dying coals of a barbecue; 'eaten' with a spoon, it was delicious!

We often oven bake a camembert with a little white wine in the cut top and sometimes with lardons on the top.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

5 minutes ago, lightengine said:

We often oven bake a camembert with a little white wine in the cut top and sometimes with lardons on the top.

Why do I feel hungry now?!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Many happy returns Brian!

Still chuckinitdarn here. Garden flooded..

Not many at the railway club tonight probably due to the rain.

Sleep well 

Baz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Many happy returns Brian!

Still chuckinitdarn here. Garden flooded..

Not many at the railway club tonight probably due to the rain.

Sleep well 

Baz

Thanks Baz.  Don't want to make you feel bad but its over 32C here today.  No rain.:D

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 12

24 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Happy birthday Brian from dampest Hertfordshire. My personally labelled bottle of a Speyside single malt at 49.6% ABV arrived today - I think I'll open it and raise a wee glass to you sir!

Thanks for the thought.  Out to dinner tonight, so may join in as well.  Large Manhattan sounds good!

Brian

• Like 16

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

Happy birthday Brian from darkest Devon

Thanks LE.  When I were a lad, I spent many happy birthdays in the old place.  Its changed a bit since then!

Brian.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

We get a nice and very reasonably priced Normandy brie at Costco.  The flavor becomes more intense if it is aged in the fridge for a few weeks. They also sell an excellent Dorset cheddar. The brand is Coastal.

Never tried the brie, but I agree the Coastal is great.

• Like 10

Evening all, Happy Birthday Brian.

Well I survived the nearly 5 year old terror and his big brother after school, boy don't brothers drive you nuts, moan when they are together and moan when you act as referee and part the wee treasures...……………. My trip to the diy shed was a failure, no cork tiles, trawl the tinternet later to see if they are still sold.

G'night all

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

I'll add my felicitations Brian; hope the dinner is good and the Manhattan even better! 

All the talk about some of my favourite cheeses set the juices going so I just had to go and look in the cheese box and although there is no Brie de Meaux at present (and I do agree that it is a truly excellent flavour), there is a nice morsel of Le Rustique that is just waiting to be spread on a crust of multigrain bread from the local deli - mmmm. Washed down of course with a libation of Talisker. I now care not that it is piddling down again as I prepare to consume said nourishment before heading bedwards.

Goodnight all. Sweet dreams.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Happy Birthday, Brian. Enjoy your dinner tonight. 

Tony

Thanks Tony, a nice waterfront restaurant near here-our usual place!

Brian.   As we leave to live it up!:dontknow:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Brian and many more of them.

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

If you like Brie cheese, try Brie de Meaux. Has much more flavour than the normal wishy-washy bries one finds both from France and the UK!. Made with ewes milk.

Our twin town is Meaux, a beautiful old town east of Paris. Last time their model railway club visited our exhibition they brought a large brie and some bottles of wine for our delectation, excellent! Its quite a few years now since I visited Meaux but I usually bought some home with me. I remember many years ago (40?) stopping off in Cheddar and enjoying a cheese sandwich (a great big chunk of cheddar between two slices doorsteps of bread) washed down by a couple of pints of scrumpy.

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

My trip to the diy shed was a failure, no cork tiles, trawl the tinternet later to see if they are still sold.

G'night all

Try Wickes - where I get mine.

Bill

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Brian. 

Brian W.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been absolutely awful all day, rain, rain and more rain. Thankfully the roads, although busy, weren’t full of the ejits that I expected to see, given the awful weather. 

Well we didn’t buy another apple tree today, they were all too big to fit in the car, but we did get a few more plants. When we have a spell of nice weather, I will plant up a tub with a mixture of plants, this will eventually live close to the back door steps.

When Ian dropped of Ava, Evie and Max, I had a chat with him about plastering the cellar. He had a quick look and says he can do it one day next week. He’s just got to confirm which day it will be, as he has a couple of hospital appointments which he wants to work round.

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

27 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

My trip to the diy shed was a failure, no cork tiles, trawl the tinternet later to see if they are still sold.

I had a couple of trips lately that were a bust.

I decided to deliberately avoid the A-to-Z website of the wealthy women warriors and decided it would be nice to actually shop in person. After wandering the electrical aisles at the local Home Depot and finally finding someone to ask, he looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked if they carried a foot switch for a lamp*. "No".

* The one connected to my living room lamp will no longer latch 'on'.  I had anticipated this wearing out and installed one of those remote controlled switches so I didn't have to keep activating the foot switch. I suppose the good news is that it is a fail safe defect. It looks like a simple rewire job since the switch is not integrally molded and has screws on the bottom.  I really like the remote controlled switches and have several of them now.

Similarly I went to a large homewares place (called "Bed Bath and Beyond" for those on this side of the pond)  for a specific cookware item that was on their website. No luck there either. I might try one of the fancy cookware places, or just enter a few keystrokes on my computer. I haven't decided.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3