The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Interesting little tidbits today.  Its fairly common to be fingered by the passed car, some don't think they should be overtaken.  A w/s chip bothers the MOT?  Year ago I had a new windscreen installed and within a week it had a small chip show up after some lorry passed the car.  I certainly wasn't going to get another and it has presented no problem but there would be a general uproar if every owner had to replace for just a chip.  They do seem very fussy in the UK about such things as this and dents, etc. All that is done here is the tail pipe emission and for the last twenty years or so, I've had to pay $15 every couple of years for nothing as the car met all requirements.  Its being done away with this year but not before I have to get a last test to renew the plates on the car and another $15!:(

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi’s car has a tiny windscreen stonechip. The approved insurance repairer can’t fit it in for 10 days at their depot or for 2 weeks for a home visit. The approved repairer is in Romford. So I told them to forget it and I’ll pay for a repair locally.

That would really frost my horns. In this state at least the insurance companies can't get away with that. They are only allowed to recommend repair shops. You are not obliged to use them.

You could try asking for compensation on the basis that in ten days a small chip can quite easily develop into a gigantic crack requiring a windshield replacement.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening, from a bungalow at a towering 30m ASL. 

A blistering 29C here at 677m ASL. Unfortunately that's only 30m above lake level which I doubt will be quite enough if Lake Missoula happens to pop its cork again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Didn't do much today, I decided to get the stuff out late this afternoon to continue with the young mans layout. By the time I'd got it all ready the heavens opened so I had to put it all away again.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

I collected a car at Calgary airport. I think I picked up 4 stone chips in the screen on a short trip from the airport to the university. The hire company didn’t seem bothered. 

The insurance companies here will let you use anyone but the excess is increased and the max cover reduced if you use anyone other than the approved company. They will repair chipped screens free too. However the paid for repair isn’t much. If they can’t repair the chip it will have to go the approved place for replacement.

The insurance company telephoned for a reference., We said they were great but the company they had approved were not. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The TV weather people were on about Jupiter the last couple of nights with Jupiter in opposition, at perigee and very bright in the sky. Sunday, I couldn't see anything, but last night was clear. Sure enough, Jovian moons were visible through hand-held binoculars, though I couldn't hold steady enough to clearly identify more than one. I did set up a little telescope (intended for the eclipse) and three of the Galilean Moons were brightly on display.

Looks like it might be clear here tonight. I'll try to drag out the big reflector. (Cut it out you lot. It's a telescope!)

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s still raining, I don’t think it’s stopped all day! It’s also been quite cold, almost autumnal, you wouldn’t think it was almost the middle of June, even the heating came on this morning!

Tea went down well with our guests, mind you, fish and chips always does, especially when served with mushy peas. Mind you, we both might live to regret that choice later on!

Goodnight all 

• Like 12
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, BSW01 said:

Tea went down well with our guests, mind you, fish and chips always does, especially when served with mushy peas. Mind you, we both might live to regret that choice later on!

I think I would regret the inclusion of mushy peas with fish and chips immediately.

Having said that, My dad did like pie and peas (which some Aussies call a floater). But he liked canned peas as well.

Personally I do like peas and pea soup. I would probably find mushy peas quite acceptable, but find the idea unappetizing and have avoided them.  In the US, fish and chips is commonly accompanied by coleslaw.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4