The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring again, 

And the heavy rain went away fairly quickly,  it is windy out there.  So when Ben the Border Collie decided it was time to get up, after me getting another hours sleep, no paddling was needed. 

We had our 3 Rivers Race  debriefing last night, mostly routine,  but one important  thing came out of our 999 incident,  where the husband did not secure the mast properly, it fell giving a glancing blow to his wife's face. 

Ambulance crews are not allowed even onto a moored boat without the presence of a lifeboat crew and the fire brigade.. So the ambulance crew have to call Humber Coast Guard, who call Hemsby lifeboat,  and the fire brigade,  only with their attendance  can they go on board.

So to prevent another hours delay, our own rescue boat crew and our  people at that site got the casualty ashore from the moored boat for the ambulance to take away. 

Luckily the two man crew of our rescue  boat included a GP, not needed for his work skills was the other crew... A pathologist,  nor a visitor to the guard ship... A Reverend.

Plans for today, 

Build some shelves on the outside of the tin shed for strawberry planters. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Yesterday was just supposed to be a trip up to Enfield for lunch with MiL and other relations. However it started with a visit to a local electrical goods retailer to buy a new freezer. I went while Aditi was getting ready. Anyway it is coming today (Saturday). It is taller than the old one so after returning from MiL’s we dismantled the shelf above the old freezer, pulled out the old freezer, cleaned the fluff and detritus, refitted the shelf in a higher position and then painted the exposed walls.  We finished just after 10pm. Work will resume soon transferring stuff to the refrigerator, it has a setting which can turn the whole fridge very cold. Then we just wait for delivery and removal of the old freezer. We have had it over 40 years so can’t complain about it starting to fail. 

Tony

Contact the manufacturers Tony and tell them that you think 40 years service is just not good enough.  See what they say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Mooring again, 

And the heavy rain went away fairly quickly,  it is windy out there.  So when Ben the Border Collie decided it was time to get up, after me getting another hours sleep, no paddling was needed. 

We had our 3 Rivers Race  debriefing last night, mostly routine,  but one important  thing came out of our 999 incident,  where the husband did not secure the mast properly, it fell giving a glancing blow to his wife's face. 

Ambulance crews are not allowed even onto a moored boat without the presence of a lifeboat crew and the fire brigade.. So the ambulance crew have to call Humber Coast Guard, who call Hemsby lifeboat,  and the fire brigade,  only with their attendance  can they go on board.

So to prevent another hours delay, our own rescue boat crew and our  people at that site got the casualty ashore from the moored boat for the ambulance to take away. 

Luckily the two man crew of our rescue  boat included a GP, not needed for his work skills was the other crew... A pathologist,  nor a visitor to the guard ship... A Reverend.

Plans for today, 

Build some shelves on the outside of the tin shed for strawberry planters. 

Well, that is a good start to my normal placid countenance on a weekend morning!
Whilst I appreciate that, in all emergencies, avoiding additional casualties is very important, the tale you recount shows just how far we have travelled along the road to ElfinSaveTea ridicule. If someone is in danger and requires assistance, then surely, as fellow human beings, we have a duty to assist? The casualty in that incident could have been much more seriously injured but who would know if she couldn't be triaged? And as for the husband (who probably recognised he may have caused the incident in the first place), how would he have been feeling to see his wife's suffering whilst a group of personnel obviously in place for emergencies were not assisting due to red tape? Sadly, it would not surprise me that the whole event is cancelled because the sped of response in a potential incident cannot be deemed adequate - and all because of constrains imposed by desk jockeys. End of rant!

Grandchildren around before the sparrows had broken wind so KZ's (less than perfect) hearing has been assailed in addition to the ground-shaking and noise from CowboyBuildersRUs as they play at making mud pies with the results of the overnight rain. When will John Wayne lead in the Fifth Cavalry to save me?

Coffee, breakfast and then man-cave with noise reduction ear-plugs (I hope) to work on embankments, signalling and telegraphy although maybe some sport will be watched too. Have a good day!

I hope my knees hold up GDB but more likely to be failing hips in my case - Swinging Blue Jeans meets age-induced infirmity.

Edited by Kingzance
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

On the other hand, Ambulance crews have no training on treating a patient on a boat.  The last thing we want is another casualty.  When I'm out with a crew or at Lord's, most of the briefing is about not becoming a casualty oneself.

Bill

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Hope to see Debs back soon, awl included. She's going to be busy with said awl as most of us have sinned. Not a lot else, muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Ive been up and about for well over 1 1/2 hours, removing bedroom net curtains, cleaning windows and window frames etc. I’m now sat in the kitchen with muggertea No2 and once that’s finished I’m off to the workshop for the rest of the day. 

The weather here here is a bit like Baz’s, wet and miserable, but when I’m in t(e workshop with the music turned up, I don’t really care!

Nice to see that Jamie could lend a hand during difficult circumstances and that Deb’s is up and about. I best keep my modelling activities quite for a bit. 

Back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning again. 

The phone rang before nine am and the freezer delivery people said they had a cancellation so would we like the first delivery of the day. We did and they arrived soon after. The new freezer is in place and is standing. The delivery men recommended leaving it for a few hours, although the manual doesn’t mention it. All the food is still in the fridge or powered cool boxes. It seems fine. 

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,  

Rain stopped play,  it's bucketing down,  and very windy.  There's only two bits of wood left to attach today,  one upright one shelf. Which I've already cut to size. 

A temporary eyelid inspection will. Ensue.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

On the other hand, Ambulance crews have no training on treating a patient on a boat.  The last thing we want is another casualty.  When I'm out with a crew or at Lord's, most of the briefing is about not becoming a casualty oneself.

Bill

Perfectly understandable Bill and I did not wish to be derogatory to those who are the "boots on the ground". My point remains that, in such a scenario, to see professionals who could make a difference yet are discouraged from doing so by regulations is both distressing and could be life-threatening (golden hour etc.). My SiL relates how, on being one of teh first at a traffic accident and a qualified nurse practicing in A&E, she has been told rather rudely more than once that her services were not required and ambulance staff even refused to listen to her assessment. In terms of the incident to which I responded, surely we have all got into a boat at some time in our lives, recognising that the boat is not as stable as solid ground? I fear that we have moved somewhat beyond common sense today, caused in part by the threat of litigation. As a former motorsport trackside incident marshal, we knew that we should not place ourselves at additional risk, that we should not place our fellow team members at any extra risk and yet we were the people who could (and on a few occasions did) make a real difference to the outcome of an incident.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Off on my penultimate trip to our Waitrose today to visit the almost empty shelves and maybe pick up a pack of something nobody else in Teignmouth wants. The meat and cheese counters were closed yesterday. I expect the fish counter to be closed today. In 6 months the store should be resurrected into Lidl.

• Friendly/supportive 17

28 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Perfectly understandable Bill and I did not wish to be derogatory to those who are the "boots on the ground". My point remains that, in such a scenario, to see professionals who could make a difference yet are discouraged from doing so by regulations is both distressing and could be life-threatening (golden hour etc.). My SiL relates how, on being one of teh first at a traffic accident and a qualified nurse practicing in A&E, she has been told rather rudely more than once that her services were not required and ambulance staff even refused to listen to her assessment. In terms of the incident to which I responded, surely we have all got into a boat at some time in our lives, recognising that the boat is not as stable as solid ground? I fear that we have moved somewhat beyond common sense today, caused in part by the threat of litigation. As a former motorsport trackside incident marshal, we knew that we should not place ourselves at additional risk, that we should not place our fellow team members at any extra risk and yet we were the people who could (and on a few occasions did) make a real difference to the outcome of an incident.

The situation is reminiscent of the frozen pond a few years ago when police were told not to attempt to rescue someone because it was dangerous.

I worked at a place where I was told by the manager that if the fire alarm sounded staff should not attempt to evacuate clients on the 2nd floor as they were behind 30 minute fire doors. I advised him that I would not be following his advice if the alarm sounded.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

On 06/06/2019 at 17:47, lightengine said:

Watched the laying of roses in a Normandy cemetery yesterday on the BBC DDay75 prog.  A young lad maybe 10 years old in combat clothing was helping the other volunteers.  Every time, he sidestepped to the next gravestone, stepped forwards and placed a rose against it, stepped back saluted and repeated the procedure. It looked like he had taken it on himself to salute.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon again

After a suitable eyelid inspection, I awoke to find it reduced to a light drizzle flying horizontally.

So the last two planks were fitted, while SWMBO took Advantage of the reduced wetness to take Ben for his walk. 

I haven't mentioned that,  the first thing I did this morning was use pipe foam, cut to length and taped to various sticky out sharp bits of roof supports,  to prevent another GDB.  Also when I went in there the evidence of 12 coats of sheep in bin bags. SWMBO has sorted them, the majority will go to the weaving group on Tuesday. 

I've decided to extend the planter shelving further down the sides of the tin shed,  five more decking planks will be needed,  then some wood protector to the cut ends. 

It's my parents 62nd wedding anniversary today,  unfortunately being celebrated In hospital, due Dad having breathing difficulties. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

I noted some of the comments about WW2 conflict areas and that the earlier landings in Italy had been progressing for a while before Normandy. My Dad didn’t go to Italy as he had been wounded in North Africa and returned to the UK for surgery on his hand( which never actually took place). He was in the post Alamein campaign. They had set off from the UK and hadn’t really known where they were going. This campaign was with the US Army who were deploying tanks. Dad never mentioned it much except he did get cross about people who made negative comments about Italian soldiers. I read this morning (Wikipedia) about the difficulties dealing with the Vichy regime military in that part of the world then. 

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

The HSE are there to help people claim damages from people. They no longer give advice until after an event. Means we need more ambulance chasers. HSE should be preventing accidents not looking into them post event to point the finger of blame.

Once they told me a tank gun was dangerous ..that was it (in this case they said you could walk into it) and that a tank exhaust is hot so also dangerous I realised they had lost the plot.

Baz

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lightengine said:

The situation is reminiscent of the frozen pond a few years ago when police were told not to attempt to rescue someone because it was dangerous.

I worked at a place where I was told by the manager that if the fire alarm sounded staff should not attempt to evacuate clients on the 2nd floor as they were behind 30 minute fire doors. I advised him that I would not be following his advice if the alarm sounded.

There is no easy answer to such dilemas.  Some years ago an ambulance crew in Leicester ended up dead because they tried to help a shooting victim.  However there have been stories of people dying because such guidelines have stopped swift response.  I had to deal with an incident wher a 10 yr old girl had gone through ice in a lake. 2 would be rescuers, one of whom was a senior fire officer, died in attempting to save her. If I hadn't seen the signs of incipient hypothermia in some of the fire crew that were then involved we would have had far more casualties. All incidents are tricky and have to be treated on a case by case basis. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Dad never mentioned it much except he did get cross about people who made negative comments about Italian soldiers. I read this morning (Wikipedia) about the difficulties dealing with the Vichy regime military in that part of the world then. 

Tony

Likewise the Italian navy were considered a real threat by the RN.  My limited experience with the more modern Italian armed forces suggests they are both professional and highly motivated.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9