The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'm off to a quiz tonight with my best friend and then tomorrow I'll be 3 hours away in Plymouth for a university interview. Then on Wednesday I'll be in Bournemouth for another interview. Looks like an action packed week! And I've just realised I only have 3 weeks to finish my Product Design chair which is quite worrying blink.gif

Talk later smile.gif

• RMweb Gold
Talk later smile.gif

In about three weeks.

Morning all

Clear blue skies here today too. I can count the number of those we've had this year on just one hand.

Guest Max Stafford

Yep. A cold morning here, but bright and sunny. Once the frost has gone it'll be lovely I hope.

Got the front garden (such as it is) tidied up yesterday and it's looking a bit neater and happier now.

Might have a go at the other side today when we get back from the park. :)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Our front garden is fortunately very simple, a rectangle of grass and one flower bed with drought resistant prickly shrubs next to the house.

The back has some nice plants but I suspect the grand plan will only be revealed when my wife graduates. She is now writing the conclusion chapter for her thesis so perhaps the garden will benefit from her "guidance" soon.

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to out and check that the front door didn't have a plague symbol. First the paper boy cycled straight past, then the postman didn't visit and the the post van (Robbie likes that one for barking practice!) stopped outside but not to deliver here. Fortunately it was proved to be merely co-incidence as Mrs Newsagent has just delivered the newspaper. I think the paperboy can't cope with anything that isn't tabloid sized.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Friday again apparently. It's another "use up the vacation" day for me. Off up the road to help a mate lay some track. As I had planned to walk it is of course now that the oktas start leaking!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

The Racing Post or The Telegraph?.....:)

That backscene looks the business DD. Is it 00 or N? Someone will be very happy...

Morning all. Seemed to have turned a corner this morning. Knee is starting to function better and the stitches come out on Monday. Whoopee, something positive....B)

......and the very first train ran a circuit on Eastwood this morning. It may not be much, but it did run without problem. It's only taken three years after all...

Of course the room looks reasonably tidy until I pan round. Tidy worker? Moi? Not exactly....

You can see the increase in height when compared to the loops and traverser and I have to say it is a pleasure working at this height.

Onward and upward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfGCjY4yhc

• RMweb Gold

The Racing Post or The Telegraph?.....:) Telegraph (too much maths in the Racing Post!)

......and the very first train ran a circuit on Eastwood this morning. It may not be much, but it did run without problem.

The train seemed to be going round at quite a speed, did you find the cause of the reduced speed when it was first connected?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Tony – I hope this is not a dumb question, but do you have any additional photos of that layout project of yours – perhaps even a thread about it? :)

There isn't a layout thread yet and there are a few more photos that I'll collect into a thread soon. At the moment it could be labelled "Pretty in Pink" as it is two 1200mm * 500mm pieces of pink insulation board (Knauf Space Board). At the back is a spine of another two layers of spaceboard that the wall is being put up against. This has the track on it (code 75 Peco) This board will just have the two mainline tracks no turnouts, crossovers etc. This board represents the town just outside the station. I liked the trains on the town wall in Bacharach and liked the buildings in Miltenberg and Rothenburg so all are combined into a fantasy for my project. A station module will be next on the list.

Originally it was going to be steam era but I got led astray (I think Robbie was shopping on eBay) by some more modern stuff so I'll have to work out how to cope with that (separate rail modules, lift the buildings out like a jigsaw perhaps). I will put something together and will be making much use of your blog/showcase material.

Sources of stuff, rolling stock, mainly eBay, RMweb (especially ER thread contributors!)

Buildings, lots of used Kibri, Faller from eBay, new ones from Miniatur Wunderland online shop. Wills sheets and Peco track from local model railway shops.

The layout will be modular not for exhibiting just for ease of portability around the house. Strelsau has only a couple of weeks in its present location (Matthew's bedroom) before that room is required again. Hopefully the garage environment will be OK by then (for the layout not Matthew!)

Tony

Can I just gloat a little? it was 78f in my garden today with a delightful breeze (cooler though tomorrow and Sunday).

Spring officially begins at 7:00am odd on Sunday - I must say that this has been the longest winter since I moved home here, nearly 70" of snow, frigid and bloody windy to boot.

Best, Pete.

Evening all! Missed posting this morning, and have been out at a climbing competition tonight...

Busy weekend ahead, which will involve putting up some pictures for SWMBO, and unfortunately I'm unlikely to see the rugby tomorrow, worse luck...

Guest Max Stafford

I noticed the use of 'Train Station' and even 'Train Line' on a number of occasions this week in print and on other media.

It appears the battle has been lost as far as intelligent designations is concerned. I shall now be using the terms 'Planeport' and 'Carway' as a matter of course. It will be interesting to monitor whether these equally peurile terms catch on... <_<

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Strelsau

Good choice of location, given that you could have both German and Czech stock in your scenario. However, I guess representing the stark difference in architectural styles after the sack of 1848 may be a challenge to represent! :lol:

Morning all – wet and slightly windy at the moment. As indicated, we'll be having guests in the afternoon, with both a trip to the museum and dinner being on the agenda.

Cheers!

78?

A bit hot for my tastes Pete. I didn't realise NY was sub-tropical! :)

Dave.

78f, Fahrenheit? Too hot? Dave, you need to get out of Carlisle a bit more!

I checked my el cheapo electric thermometer in it's non-scientific location (in the shade but on a wooden deck) and the highest temperature recorded in the last twelve months was: 110.6f or 44C the lowest was -3f or -19C. Both of this figures are undoubtably the highest/lowest over the last couple of years.

As I keep reminding everyone New York is on the same latitude as Rome but with the Appalachians running due north - south (almost) has a door open to both the Tropics and the Polar regions.

Best, Pete.

I sometimes think Edinburgh and Glasgow are on the same latitude as Alaska... ;)

Mind you, bright and sunny this morning, though I can see a huge fog bank in the Forth from my window.

Going to nip down to the office for a swim before I head over to Glasgow. Have a good Saturday, all!