The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oooerr, seem to have missed a few days.  And whatever happened to DJM, I'm scared to go over there to look!

Its not confirmed yet but I can't see the company surviving , the thread it's self is not good reading several persons making an @rse of themselves,

if it continues it will be locked as posts are being removed as they won't take heed of what they are being told by Phil Parker, shame for those who have got financially involved with Jones. 

Edited by 81C
typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Yep. Pointed out that Paris for me is easier and faster than Telford. 

Sone nice pubs in Telford, well Oakengates to be more precise and waay cheaper than Paris. Not a city that I enjoy.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Aditi was quite fond of Telford as it meant she had nearly arrived at the place she used to use for geography field trips. She used to like to take her students to somewhere that wasn’t like Romford. The college dropped geography as a subject, not due to lack of students but because it was expensive to run compared to other subjects. This was why Aditi had to reinvent herself as a sociologist.

I got my haircut today. I am officially tidy now.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

One half of game umpired. Tea was had ( excellent as usual in Driffield ), 5 overs into the second innings. .Rain. ..pah!

More crust earning tomorrow. 

Baz

• Like 16

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Sone nice pubs in Telford, well Oakengates to be more precise and waay cheaper than Paris. Not a city that I enjoy.

There are a number of good craft beer bars and tap rooms in Paris now. They seem to speak better English there than in Telford as well. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

There are a number of good craft beer bars and tap rooms in Paris now. They seem to speak better English there than in Telford as well. 

There are too many expatriate Welsh around Telford....

Oops, sorry - forgot to wish everyone goodnight.

Edited by Dave Hunt
Hurry to get away before being trampled by a hippo
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I looked...(DJM)..half an hour I won't get back.  A shame, but as Bob says not exactly unexpected.  Decided to cut the next bit!

Um, charming gentleman.  I chatted with him at Ally Pally when he worked for Dapol.  When I pointed out there were one or two errors pertaining to their 7mm private owner wagon, he very charmingly advised me what I could do to a certain part of my anatomy.  Haven't wished to have any dealings since.  Bill

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just watched the second part of The Planets on BBC2. Interesting history of Mars which was once like Earth with oceans and an atmosphere. Still debating as to whether or not to head for Southend tomorrow for the D-Day flypast, I mentioned to a friend the other day that the end of the pier would be the perfect place to see it and it seems that a lot of others have the same idea if social media is anything to go by. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

There are too many expatriate Welsh around Telford....

One of whom is a hippopotamus amphibious and is trundling in your direction as I type.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bbishop said:

One of whom is a hippopotamus amphibious and is trundling in your direction as I type.

Bill

I think I can hear Land of my Fathers being sung so I'll just get my coat.....

• Funny 17

Evening awl,

Funny old day.  Got to court, signed in, put on a jury, sworn in --------------------- and sent home.  So off to German class; sadly our Sara Cox lookalike is emigrating to Berlin in the summer.  Back in court tomorrow, before my European Railway Group meeting in the evening.  So off to bed.

Bill

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

There are a number of good craft beer bars and tap rooms in Paris now. They seem to speak better English there than in Telford as well

I travel to France with my translator. Though to be honest I haven’t really ever had language problems in France and I only know a few phrases. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Debs is out of hospital and hasn't had much pain since surgery.

The surgeon is very happy with what he saw and accomplished.

Really pleased to learn this. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather today has been quite mixed, we had lovely sunshine first thing this morning but by mid afternoon it was raining and has been ever since. We even had a little lightning around 4:00. It finally stopped sometime after 8:00. 

James and Amelia came round as expected, but were a little late, due to heavy traffic. The cheesecake went down very well, in fact I’ve been asked to make that one again.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think I can hear Land of my Fathers being sung so I'll just get my coat.....

I prefer this:

Marched in and out of every assembly at Rhiwbeina Junior School to the tune. (Rhiwbeina is the correct spelling for the school although the village is spelled Rhiwbina!!)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

47 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I travel to France with my translator. Though to be honest I haven’t really ever had language problems in France and I only know a few phrases. 

My experiences vary. (I've been to France a handful of times and never for more than a few days at a time.)  In practice I know only a few phrases too.

I spent three years in high school learning rudimentary French decades ago but my French is anything but conversational, and nor can I read a newspaper. I could probably handle an 'easy reader' book intended for six year olds. Even though I learned all the numbers from 0 - 100, I cannot in real time handle a routine cash transaction without seeing the amount on the till. You would think that the limited vocabulary of tennis scores would be very easy to handle but watching matches televised from Roland Garros this week my brain does not keep up with even simple scores like trente-quarante without double checking the score box. it seems that conversationally I can't handle numbers larger than vingt.

Menus en Française were surprisingly tricky too. I thought my basic vocabulary was adequate, given the time to study a menu, but the gastronomical terms in many (perhaps most, but I will say not all) of the French menus I have encountered far exceeded my ability. It wasn't just the posh ones either, brasseries too. There was one occasion where a dinner companion asked "do you really want that?" It turned out that I didn't really want a mixed grill of varied offal.

Of course English proficiency in France is generally excellent - particularly in the hospitality field and more touristy places. Except of course when people want to pretend they don't know it, which can happen in some circumstances.

Like many places when people want your money, they are usually obliging and will speak English if they can, though here on ERs I read, what I find to be, surprising stories of surly British shopkeepers where they are remarkably un-obliging to some English speakers.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8