The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Amongst the items cleared from the shed en route to the workmate was a directors chair. Its seen very little use as I bought a replacement over a year ago so I will be passing it onto the young lad as the chair he used to have had broken. All the baseboard items except for the ends have been measured and cut. The ends will be done when the rest has been assembled so that if any adjustments are necessary they can be done then. 

• Like 18

We appear to be back after at least a 6 hour hiatus.

Still a sunny Monday here, but today was forecast to be slightly cooler. It was nice at lunchtime and now in the early evening is still very lovely looking.  Time to go home.

Happy Tuesday.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, I found that the point motor I bought requires a 1 1/8" hole.  Muses: now can I buy one for less than the price of the point motor?

I'm also trying to see if I can put modern axle sets into Kitmaster coach bogies as I have a collection of unassembled/partly assembled kits. (6-8 boxes). Top hat bearings require shorter axles, so I'm playing with the plain ones.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 18

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning here.  The temperature is due to rise later on - but hopefully we won't have the thunderstorms that we did yesterday afternoon.  The rain was pretty torrential.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Like ChrisF I was at a loss what to do without RMweb so in the end I had an early night. I did see somewhere that 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' was showing on TV but thats not until next Tuesday (11th, 15:05 BBC 2) so no relief there from a certain visit. As a result of that early night as you can see I'm up early but now I'm going back to bed for a bit.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Well, I found that the point motor I bought requires a 1 1/8" hole.  Muses: now can I buy one for less than the price of the point motor?

I'm also trying to see if I can put modern axle sets into Kitmaster coach bogies as I have a collection of unassembled/partly assembled kits. (6-8 boxes). Top hat bearings require shorter axles, so I'm playing with the plain ones.

Shave the backs of the axle boxes down flush and use the small top hat bearings (ie ones which are shaped like the axle bearing cone) and it should be fine with normal length axles.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

Mawning,

A quick visit to the site of martyrdom of England’s first saint resulted in at least one photograph that I am happy to submit to the local club’s competition. SWMBO spent some time in adjacent shops whilst I contemplate the meaning of life on a nearby bench seat. When we got home, the local “shaken to the core” vibration team on the building site were compacting the adjacent soil so much that crockery in our kitchen was rattling in its cupboards. Our protestations probably fell on deaf ears, those of the builders have probably been destroyed by the (what is now) seven day cacophony as they seek to lash up overpriced shacks! That was followed by eldest granddaughter’s post-school present opening and then watching eldest grandson’s cricket team receive more of a drubbing than the England cricket team :(

Upon returning home, I found that I couldn’t drop in on the diary of misadventures and frivolity that is known as RMWeb so I managed to waste away almost a couple of hours achieving almost nothing instead. I did however manage to place an order with a booze emporium that has regal pretentious for SWMBO’s second favourite Kiwi SauvBlanc, a nice Primitivo that hits the spot for me and some local gin so that I can watch the world go by in an al-fresco style without getting stressed about it. 

Today we await the the return of The Steam Iron, despatched by Phillips on Friday courtesy of ParcelForce’s Express 24 hour service but of course, as many uses of that service have proved to me, never delivered within the stated period. Is ParcelForce the worst delivery firm operating in the U.K. today? I certainly can’t think of a less reliable one! Other forthcoming delights include the mobile wet fish man’s visit after his holiday last week and my weekly stroll to play crib in one of our hostelries this evening. Rain is forecast so some modelling may be achieved too!

Enjoy your day in peace and without stress or pain if possible.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Muggocoffee consumed, morning ablutions competed, mail opened (nothing worthwhile) and now about to spend most of the day writing. Dad's mobility scooter was delivered yesterday and he seems pleased with it but the insurance will take another couple of days to come through so he's just toddling about locally with it until then. SWMBO is off to the pictures this evening with a friend so I may indulge in some  mode**ing then. Apart from that not much to report.

Wishes to all for a successful day.

Dave

PS. - it's raining.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

oohh ...

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble,Grubb were going to an industrial unit just round the corner from the MRC.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/commercial-building-fire-catfield-1-6086515

The Trend factory make windows for boats but they are alongside Haynes Boat builders amoungst others.. If the fire had gone to that with all the fibreglass chemicals there that would have been a big one..

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Overcast with a slight breeze looks like rain will be here soon  weather radar confirms this.

Her spoke to me this morning !!! she is off to take eldest daughter to the station to get to Gatwick I think daughter is off to Landsagrooty with a gang of her chavy mates.

I will be indulging is some painting and transfer fixing after a few chores like re-fixing  various fixtures around the house the ham fisted one has pulled off and I will

have another go at weeding the block paved front drive.

Enjoy your day :superman:R Prentice. :butcher:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It's grey and damp but as Ikea is less than a mile away   that's to be expected.  The talk at the MRCwas well received last night. It was good to be able to show the video of the Big Boy withe the sound system cranked right up. 

Today is a sorting out day and then babysitting Emily tonight while the new Mum's go out for a meal. It will be the first time they've left her. We have had to gently remind Rachel that we did manage to raise both her and her two brothers. I'm openi g a book on whether the new grandma will actually allow me to help. My competence will be suspect as I'm a mere male.

My only experience of juries is giving evidence to them.  

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

mail opened (nothing worthwhile)

Lucky you - we used to get our mail by 08.30,  but after the Royal Mail's last re-organisation our delivery duty was scrapped, and we have been tagged onto the end of a delivery duty which seems to cover a massive area, and ends with us - I am the last house on the last part of the delivery, so our post arrives around 3.00 pm.  If we receive anything urgent which needs to be turned quickly, we can't do so same day, as the collection at most local boxes can be as early as 10.00.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Shave the backs of the axle boxes down flush and use the small top hat bearings (ie ones which are shaped like the axle bearing cone) and it should be fine with normal length axles.

Baz

Do you use sensitive gel or plain old shaving foam for this?

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 03:14, BR60103 said:

Happy anniversary to the newlyweds.

Also visited the British grocer wholesale -- various things I can't identify and a big bottle of real Fairy liquid. 

The real question is:

Didi they have Vimto cordial?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Lucky you - we used to get our mail by 08.30,  but after the Royal Mail's last re-organisation our delivery duty was scrapped, and we have been tagged onto the end of a delivery duty which seems to cover a massive area, and ends with us - I am the last house on the last part of the delivery, so our post arrives around 3.00 pm.  If we receive anything urgent which needs to be turned quickly, we can't do so same day, as the collection at most local boxes can be as early as 10.00.

... and to think, I can remember complaining to the sorting office when our 2nd post was delivered late :D

• Like 9
  • Agree 5