The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve had quite a productive day today. Before I started mopping the cellar floor and whilst the water was still clean, I decided to mop the hall floor, just in front of the cellar door first. I then mopped the stairs leading down to the cellar, before finally mopping the cellar floor. It all now looks a lot cleaner AND as I’m no longer leaving mucky footprints in the hall, I’ve earned a few brownie points too! I then cleaned my mop, mop bucket plus another couple buckets before heading off to the workshop. 

It was starting to rain as I got to the workshop, so I deferred putting out my wetsuit for a few minutes until it stopped. I then continued working on the L class and as I’d successfully test run it last weekend, I decided to refit the original Hornby DCC socket back. I once again gave it another test run to prove it was correctly wired up. I then modified the front of the tanks, so that I can fit a decoder in the boiler area and a speaker just in front of the socket. 

I then turned my attention to the cab roof, this item didn’t fit properly, so using a mini sanding drum in my mini drill, I removed all of the inner lip, giving the roof a uniform thickness. Then I fabricated a pair of skirts from some 1mm plasticard and glued them to the underside of roof. The roof will eventually be fixed with a dab of canopy glue so it can removed if necessary. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Another day of jungle warfare - in somewhat hotter weather than yesterday - but at least you can see where I've been attacking the jungle at the lower end of the garden.  No doubt a further stint will follow tomorrow but Monday is day out time for an OFs meeting at Stoke Gifford.  I finally got into the strimmer head using a  screwdriver to 'remove' the cover, as it worked subsequently I presume I did it the right way(ish).

Good news about Deb, let's hope the latest surgery will finally put things right for her.

• Like 17

Good morning one and all

The trip to and from Rhiwderin was trouble free and it was a pleasure to munch the Welsh cakes again.  Today I am heading off in a different direction to a place that I have never visited before so we'll see what happens.  I hope that Sandy and John enjoy their visit to Sidmouth sea front but I fear that the Horse and Groom is long gone. 

Sorry this is such a flying visit.  Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Actually, John, the Gloucester services are owned by the same outfit as Tebay and Happenden in Scotland all of these are a really refreshing change from the usual motorway fare and all have a lot better catering, farm shops, etc.  Yes, they are more expensive but well worth it.

http://www.westmorlandfamily.com/

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

I fear that the Horse and Groom is long gone. 

Which was where at the tender age of 20, I had my first four pints of real Devon  cider by gravity from a wooden barrel - one raw, one cider dash (lemonade), one orange top (orange cordial) and one tutti fruiti (blackcurrant).  I was due to start work in the VIctoria Hotel the follwing morning as a waiter, and started my first breakfast shift still p1ssed.

Morning All

Not a lot of water has passed since I last visited.  Again, generic greetings are offered to the ailing and celebrating.  Nice to see Mick posting - why not post a bit more often - your contributions are missed (at least by me, but I'm sure also by others).

Forecast was for heavy rain from 6.00 am, so we didn't set the alarm for a trip to stand at the A6 car boot, and woke naturally about 7.30 to bright(ish) conditions.  However, a check of the "forecast" says we probably still did the right thing, as the forecast is still for rain by 9-10. 

Instead, we will be tackling a few jobs domestic, and I may well be back later.

Still no news on some of the missing ERs.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

My match starts at 1pm in Finningley. Forecast reckons we will get the game through (it is a 20/20) .

If I get back home in time a bit of crust earning can take place. More to do tomorrow!

Have as good a day as you can

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A sunny and warm start to the day here and it should stay like that although there is the possibility of some showers later.

Rugby Premiership Final duly watched and boy was it worth it. A great game which at one stage Exeter looked liked winning but you can never write off Sarries and they came through in the end.

In the evening we journeyed across the road to friends for drinks (several) with them and other friends and neighbours. A good night out with the added bonus of no travelling involved.

This morning I will be putting up new curtain poles and net curtains (under supervision of course). I haven't done the remedial decorating around the windows yet but that'll have to wait. Before that a hearty breakfast will be consumed. Later today I will fire up the BBQ and wave some steak over it for a couple of minutes.

In between all this activity I may get out to the shed (if Mr. Knee permits) to see if I can salvage some more points from the old layout. So far some are OK, others not so much.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning all (after I cleared the editor for the umpteenth time).  Today Beth and I celebrate 40 years of married strife.  Apparently things haven't cha ged as my choice of shirt has not passed muster.

Donny was good yesterday, lots of old friends seen and not too many modelling tikens e tractec frim my wallett.  

Today it's off to church this morni g, just like 40 years ago, then a soirée in the local club where various friens, relatives, hangers on and freeloaders will appear. Then in the eveni g a meal with the kids p,us step dragon i  law and the couple who are putting us up.  Should be a busy day.

Good news about Debs, and John, I hope that the trip goes well.  Warm thoughts to those affected by the lurgy and to all missing ER's.

P4210341.JPG.8d6b135a8898937119470cff457a1ac3.JPG

Jamie

Congratulations Jamie and Beth. No picture of Tyne Bridge given you’re “upt north” then? I suppose Tyne Bridge and shorts would be a trifle incongruous. Have a good day but do sneak away when you’ve had enough, it is a privilege that comes with age :).

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Congratulations Jamie and Beth. No picture of Tyne Bridge given you’re “upt north” then? I suppose Tyne Bridge and shorts would be a trifle incongruous. Have a good day but do sneak away when you’ve had enough, it is a privilege that comes with age :).

Photos as well?

The Geordie speak was enough! modelling tikens e tractec frim my wallett.  

Edited by lightengine
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy anniversary Jamie and Beth - and had you been there a long while ago before that bridge opened Milson's Point station on the opposite bank behind you and Lavender Bay EMU stabling sidings are also behind you on the opposite bank (sorry I was a bit late with the latter information).

Anyway back to home and the R word is promised for later so the J word might be getting a much needed rest today although there is an area to tackle in the front garden which might not be too taxing- I hope.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Happy Ruby Anniversary to Beth and Jamie. Aditi hasn’t got an engagement ring and her wedding ring got damaged about 40 years ago so she thought it would be quite nice to get a ruby ring a couple of years ago. Still haven’t found one she likes though. 

Today I  will be painting the shed. This is the one wall Aditi can’t access. I think I can, so that is my job. It won’t take long, assuming I don’t get stuck. 

We had a very pleasant afternoon at Aditi’s sister’s house in Enfield yesterday. The tiny nieces were great fun, they had found some water pistols and were “accidentally” missing the targets set up for them and squirting anyone they seemed to think would enjoy the joke. I then fixed a game for them that had defeated the repair attempts of all the doctors there. One excitement was nephew Josh chatting to us by video (Apple FaceTime I think). He was on a train in Romania. Amazing to think of the communication advances in his lifetime. Josh is 32. 

Tony

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations Jamie and Beth, that cat stuck on the bridge must have heard that you were going to wear your shorts and rushed home. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-48455242 

Assembling the tools required for layout construction, I've got everything required except a pencil for marking out so I will use a Biro. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone (just)

We had quite a like-in this morning, we both must have needed the rest! By the look of the damp garden, it’s been raining for some time now. Once I’ve finished my muggertea No2 I’m off to the workshop. 

Jamie and Beth. Happy 40th anniversary 

Back later

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to Jamie and Beth - we beat you by about four months.  We didn't get ourselves a present at the time, as we wanted something really special and different, and have found it in the form of a felt picture of four puffins on a slate roof which is beautiful and is currently being reframed with a new mount.

We should get it on Wednesday.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1