The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Plan for today:

Finish muggocoffee

Do some preparation for tonight's dinner

Go to model shop in Whitchurch for some plywood

Possibly spend some time in workshop

Go to Telford station to pick up friend from Aberystwyth who is staying the weekend

Have a few drops of malted Scottish water

Go to bed

A simple but hopefully satisfying plan.

Tomorrow we are going to the GOG show at Doncaster where I expect a few (or more) modelling tokens will be exchanged for essential supplies. My Dad is coming with us so progress may be a little slow but since such events consist largely of chatting it probably won't be too restricting. 

Have a good day folks. Envious thoughts of Chris's Welsh cakes - as Baz says, yum yum.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s not as dull as it was this time yesterday, but it’s a tad warmer. I’ve just finished breakfast and I’ll shortly be heading off to the Trafford Centre to pick up a few bits and pieces. As usual my return trip will be via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. 

This evening we have James and Amelia coming round for tea. For one reason or another, it’s been over 2 weeks since they last came, so it will be nice to see them both. 

There’s not a lot else planned for the day, so a bit of light research or reading may take place this afternoon. 

Back later

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit overcast this morning but according to the seaweed twirlers it should brighten up. Not a lot planned for today or for the weekend which by all accounts is going to be a scorcher. Now going to remove a snail that is climbing the patio window, I will then place it in full view of Mr. and Mrs. thrush who I'm sure will appreciate the gesture. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast at the moment. Aditi got up before me and is applying preservative stain to “her” sheds. I have been allocated admin tasks; ordering medications, checking in for flights next month and finally sourcing shelf supports. Aditi’s National Geographic collection has overloaded the existing shelf supports.   I have ordered a bag of assorted bits from Amazon. My bits box didn’t have anything vaguely suitable . 

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I've now cleared the work I had, er um what do I do now...

I've prepared the spreadsheets for next weeks major system..

I've been for a wander around the other forums I inhabit, I'm back to annoying you lot..

just under 3 hours left..

Are we there yet...

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Shedman5 said:

this caused me to drop the soldering iron  and instant reflex was to catch it, hmm nice burn mark across two fingers as a result

I have done that too. It was a long time ago though, when I was a teenager. I suspect I was more worried then about the possibility of the iron burning the carpet!

I suppose also before getting an electric soldering iron we only had one that we heated up on the kitchen stove gas ring or sometimes on the Primus stove in Dad’s  shed. Some of those irons would have done serious damage if dropped and grabbed. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Back from a few days in Llandudno where I accompanied the Obergrumpenfuher as she surveyed her property empire.

Yesterdy I escaped to see a friend who lives near Llanwrst, and we spent a lot of time talking about various engineering matters pertaining to live steam locos.

Today, the trip back to Telfland Central was broken by a stop at the Dapol factory where a couple of  their open wagons were purloined.  Naturally, these were from the returns box and both were missing coupling hooks, which are easy to replace.  I was hoping for more out of the bargain box, but most of it is already en route to Doncaster.

I must now make myself look busy to avoid critisism of sitting around doing nothing................well nothing useful!

• Like 12
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

She's hot

Literally!

Perhaps it's not really turned on.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

Today started off slightly misty and cold with the look of rain in the sky. Since lunch time the sun is in attendance very hotly and therefore drying the laundry.

I have finally purchased the coat hooks and another fitment (that was reduced in price) for my coat rack.  I have 3 nice pieces of 3'5"x8"x7/8" timber to use as a chunky back board.  Fixed to the wall with 4 or 6 coathooks (maybe 2 staggered rows of 3) with the tray/keyhook fitment above.

The timber (I am unaware of what type has a few worm holes that I have just dealt with. I am wondering whether I should brush treat all the timber in woodworm treatment as a precaution.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, lightengine said:

whether I should brush treat all the timber in woodworm treatment as a precaution

PhilJW mentioned his friend currently dealing with woodworm so perhaps he will know. We have an Indian box that at first I wouldn't allow in but was reassured it wasn't unusual for such items to have holes and it wasn't a problem. A friend said his parents bought an old sideboard. It must have been infested and little holes started appearing in other items. They only had artificial wood effect after that. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

where I accompanied the Obergrumpenfuher as she surveyed her property empire.

I take it she does not read your input on RMweb. I get into big trouble for referring to my wife as SWMBO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Get well soon Debs - and if you're not reading this, John, can you pass on my best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.  Generic greetings to everybody else.

Not a great deal to report here today, except the inability (again) of my branch of Barclays to produce a statement due to IT issues, which might well last the weekend.  Whether this is a local issue or a national one, I know not, and care less.  All I know is that I am getting to the end of my tether, and a 40 plus business relationship is nearing its end. 

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I take it she does not read your input on RMweb. I get into big trouble for referring to my wife as SWMBO.

Mine dosn't mond being called 30747 on here at all, and I did start to use that name with her consent, strangely enough.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I'm afraid I know little about woodworm. What I do know is that the holes are left only when the grubs have pupated and flown off seeking fresh wood to infest. I do understand that if there is live woodworm infestation you can use a stethoscope to hear the little bu@@ers chewing away. The only time I had to deal with woodworm was with an old wardrobe that was swiftly dispatched to the bottom of the garden where it made a nice bonfire.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5