The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The construction of the lads layout is on hold for a day or two. You would think that the orange emporium would have some 9 mm ply that was straight and not warped and twisted, I couldn't find a single straight piece. At least other emporiums are available and will be visited over the next few days.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  I presume their idea is that if you make it impossible to change the cutting 'thread' you'll go out and buy yet another strimmer?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After a few 'dismal failures' of my own, I generally buy the cartridge variety where you just pop it in and thread the string out.  Doesn't cost that much, Mike, and worth it to avoid the hassle.:smile_mini2:

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...if you make it impossible to change the cutting 'thread' you'll go out and buy yet another strimmer?

I think strimmers with auto feed (alleged) have caused me more frustration than any other garden tool.  Well until we got a Stihl strimmer.  It is rather heavy and I need the shoulder strap but it does do what it is supposed to. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Checking my off cuts pile I think I may have just enough 9 mm ply to make the baseboard for the lads layout. The only thing I need now is something for the base to support the 50 mm insulation foam top of the baseboard. I have a piece of 9 mm MDF that will be sufficient so I might use that.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

I generally buy the cartridge variety where you just pop it in and thread the string out.

I'm very happy with mine - it uses a pre-wound spool of the plastic cutting 'string' that you simply pop in and thread through one hole. (Getting the plastic cover off to access the spool was it's own intelligence test - which I passed, eventually.)

I like my edger. It is lightweight and battery powered. I don't have a lot of edging to do and one charge on the battery lasts for many uses. It was sold as a bundle with a leaf blower that uses the same interchangeable battery, but I've never used the leaf blower in anger - they're annoying.

• Like 15

Evening all, what a soggy old day, not the day for being outside, but I managed quite a bit of useful progress in TOSH, I picked up some 12 inch brackets from the Green and Gold diy shed as Montrose doesn't have an Orange one and most of these are in place to support the baseboards. They will also give good access underneath, both for working on wiring and when finished, a useful storage area, I am getting rid of a lot of "useful stuff" but you can't get rid of all of it can you, some of this stuff has been with me for years!! Additional lighting has been installed and tested, these LED lights really are good aren't they, only down side is they don't generate heat like halogen ones, so a fan heater is in place for the damp or colder days/nights. Next job is to begin dismantling the old Great Central one, I shall have a last play.......er I mean run of locos/trains before removing them, as rain is forecast again, that could be taking up most of tomorrow.

G'night all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Not long after Sheila had left for her Zumba class, it started to rain, this stayed with us until mid afternoon, when the sun came out and it got quite warm. 

I managed to get the first coat of waterproofing solution mixed and applied to the cellar walls, I’m hoping to apply the final coat on Monday. 

After tea I went swimming, but by then it had become very overcast with some real dark clouds, but thankfully no rain, but there was quite a stiff breeze, which made the water a bit choppy. This made the session a bit more difficult so it took a few minutes longer to complete my 3 laps. The water temperature hadn’t changed since last week, it was still 16.4C. Once I’d returned home, I poured my a glass of Doombar.

John. Great news about Deb’s, thanks for the updates. 

Goodnight all. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

With 3 sets of contractors/workmen in the house this week, plus a concert on Wednesday instead of Saturday, we're not sure what day it is. We drove to the far corner of the city for chep gas, then found out that the pot roast SWMBO wanted wasn't on sale. 

Had a phishing eMail on our cable/internet account today. from mysurveygizmo

Chrisf -- It's nice to know they want more of your work.  I just found out that a friend a block away gets Bylines but I didn't have time to read your piece.  Bylines is not carried by any store within reaching distance.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

48 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Bylines is not carried by any store within reaching distance.

Chapters here used to carry quite a few UK railway magazines, but they have stopped taking all (I think) UK prototype magazines.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9