The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I will be putting in a light colour plain flooring in the shed but that still won’t guarantee finding such items.

I tried that about 10 years ago in our previous house by fitting light coloured laminate flooring in what became my modelling room.   No such joy.  I became convinced that there was a black hole leading to a parallel universe that is inhabited by such things as 12 and 14BA nits and washers plus assorted lamp irons, and small etched pieces.   However when we cleared the room before the move the black hole couldn't be found.   I did recover a few small BA nuts etc but not many and assumed that these had just missed the edge of the force field.  I did consider fitting a jewellers apron that is attached to the bench and then put on when work starts.   My cousin who is a jeweller has one and apparently it works well.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I painted the floor in my workshop light grey in the fond hope that it would make finding 'ping offs' much easier to find - some hope! Even brass nuts, which you would think would stand out, assume a level of camouflage that any military tactician could only dream of. Hence I  put carpet offcuts on some of it just to make things bit quieter when I zoom round on my office chair and it doesn't seem to be any worse - I think that the lower coefficient of restitution (posh phraseology or what?) means that the pinged bits travel less far when dropped on the carpet than they tend to on the concrete. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Dave

A good way to find bad solder joints on a PCB is to look at the board through a paper cup that's had its bottom removed. Our eyes want to scan the entire PCB and the cup trick limits the scan to small areas at a time.

You can do something similar when looking for small objects on the floor. Use a smallish picture frame to limit the scanned area. A torch with a sharp focused beam is another way to do it.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Unfortunately I've been unable to KBO as after a couple of hours on my feet this morning at Sainsbury's  (Bank holiday weekend bedlam) and then refitting some curtain rails my port side lower limb has given up the ghost. Combination of knee, ankle (that I sprained a couple of weeks ago) and plantar fasciitis has quite honestly made me give in.  I don't like doing that but it seems obvious that I need to keep off my feet for a while. This means that I've had to give up any ideas of the Fawley visit tomorrow. Shame because I've been looking forward to it. I did manage to enjoy watching 2 great rugby matches this afternoon. I won't mention results just in case anybody hasn't seen the games yet.

No plans for tonight but there is still some very nice  Shiraz left in the bottle.....

• Friendly/supportive 19

20 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Book Four, Chapter IV, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit" if I'm not mistaken.  I don't have a book to hand and the internet is much more interested in the movies than the book.

The movie dialog is "Po-tay-toes. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish." which feels accurate but is unverified.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

The torrential rain yesterday did stop eventually but not before the volume of water was so great that the creeks were running across the road. The culverts could not handle the flow. That's the first time I've seen that and we've been here for 24 years.

Andy, we had light rain in the Willamette Valley yesterday, but nothing like what you describe. Today Central Oregon is cool but clear. Western Oregon should be pleasant.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

A good way to find bad solder joints on a PCB is to look at the board through a paper cup that's had its bottom removed. Our eyes want to scan the entire PCB and the cup trick limits the scan to small areas at a time.

You can do something similar when looking for small objects on the floor. Use a smallish picture frame to limit the scanned area. A torch with a sharp focused beam is another way to do it.

Hold the torch at an angle to the floor and the errant object should cast a shadow!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Bob you need to chuck your Bossness into a taxi off to Stainsberries sit back and make it beer 'o' clock it's the worst thing you can do to your low joints 

is push a #ecking supermarket trolley around I won't do it in fear of giving me back pain for the rest of the day, so there you've been told. :nono:

Oh, Good evening Btw :bye_mini:

I'm in a can't be @rsed mood today slightly p!issed off with my mate Steve I was looking to my secret breakfasts and my live steam fix this week-end it wasn't

to be but the Grand Prix practice was something else real edge of the seat stuff I can't wait for the Destruction Derby tomorrow.

Her has left me alone to sulk so that was good peace reined at Farnborough Manor all day, I might be naughty and sneak off for a breakfast at

Horrorsons if I'm up early enough before Her spots me going out the door.

TV catch up now Cardinal on channel 4 enjoy you evening :superman:M.O.Rebeer.  :drink_mini:

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I have discovered that in my case it isn’t a good idea to use a full size supermarket trolley as I get back ache. So I use one the smaller ones. Aditi uses the small ones too as she can’t reach the bottom of the big ones (short person). Being a person who has been in management if we go together she tears the shopping list in two and we meet up on completion. 

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Some of the US Bachmann steam locos were only safe to work on in a plastic bag. What ever you fitted something else pinged off.  

I can see people losing their lives trying this ;-)

ps. Where do you get a bag big enough?

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done much today, sketched out a few ideas for the young mans layout for his selection and approval tomorrow. All of course have the requisite tunnel and a couple of sidings. The lad himself is education special needs so although he is eleven years old he is more like seven. However since he started at a special school last September he has come ahead in leaps and bounds. I use a shopping trolley even if I only have a few items to get as my legs are now a bit wobbly. I have a wheeler which I use when visiting shows and swap meets, handy as it also has a seat. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, lightengine said:

I can see people losing their lives trying this ;-)

ps. Where do you get a bag big enough?

Only the loco and hands were in the bag. Recycled clear plastic bag from somewhere. Doesn’t everyone have a bag full of useful bags? My locos were very small, Ma&Pa Railroad . 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Evening awl,

A very long day at Lord's.  A bad result for me on the pitch, but a very successful day for the first aid team.  Cannot divulge most of it, but I was in charge of one of the teams and we did treat someone in the pavilion and then spent a couple of hours on the hallowed grass.  I was thinking: "Fidel Edwards, do not knock his head off, because it would be me sticking it back on."

Bath, bed, then Railex tomorrow.

Keep well awl, Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evenink one and all,

Enjoyed RailEx, some cracking layouts Gravett Gromit! I've posted a short review on the RailEx page for anyone interested and I hope Didcot was as good for those who went there and that Fawley will be tomorrow. Son wants a quiz for his pub as the normal quizmaster has retired and they are getting each regular team to set one. I have sent him three rounds based on Animal, Vegetable and Mineral without them being too impenetrable and I have also avoided any political references, past, present or future and to Railways past and present.

As expected, my rugby team isn't playing next week but the final is fittingly between the two teams who have performed better through the season. Congratulations to Somerset, champions of the 50-over game. SWMBO stated her disapproval of having female cricket commentators - reactionary or what? F1 will be watched at some stage although we can probably predict the result. Time for a small libation.

Goodnight.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Long day umpiring as it chucked it darn.  Ended in a no result with the 5eam batting  second 60 runs short and with the last pair in. Lots of appeals!

Day off tomorrow. .hopefully we will catch up with Dr Eldest Herbert whow celebrates his birthday  today.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I spent the morning in the garden, plenty of weeds removed, as well as a few unwanted geraniums, which seem to be getting quite thuggish. I filled the wheelbarrow up and then took to the front to empty it into the green bin. I also carried a few tools so I could weed the front whilst I was there. That wasn’t too bad and only took about an hour. Once done I watered everything and then went back to the back garden. There I tidied up around the base of the box hedge which runs along one side of the patio, removing bits of rubble and stones etc. I then moved a couple of barrow loads of earth and filled in the space between the box hedge and the patio. 

We had a little bit of rain this afternoon, it was very light, so light that you could hardly see or feel it, but enough to make the ground wet after a few minutes. 

The afternoon was spent reading until Mike and Sarah turned up. It’s Sarah’s birthday next week and we are celebrating early by going for a meal at the same Indian restaurant that we went to on Mike’s birthday. We had a great meal and the place was very busy, but the staff are very pleasant and attentive. We’ve booked again for August, when we will celebrate me being 21 for the 3rd time! We’re hoping that all the family can make it, so we’ve initially booked if for 12 people. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Hold the torch at an angle to the floor and the errant object should cast a shadow!

I'm afraid that would be NBG here. I'd post a pic of my shed floor but it would probably get me banned.

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2