The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, AndyID said:

According to my brother our great-granny lived on Arran. There might have been a Gaelic speaking community there at that time - mid nineteenth century.

Quite possibly. When the first steamers started sailing to Dunoon from Glasgow, about 1815-20, Dunoon was a Gaelic-speaking town. 

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

I just scrape the moss off  once a year. . . 

Goodnight everyone. . . . Sleep well.

John

I found patio magic good for killing the litchen on the top of the landrover.... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The further west you went the more likely to be Gaelic speaking  the area is,  most of what had been the Welsh related speaking  kingdom of strathclyde gradually over laid by the original Gaelic speaker coming in from the west and Ireland,  this was over laid by English speakers from the south leaving isolated pockets of Gaelic,. This then attracted more gaelic speakers from the isles and Ireland when the industrial revolution created the attraction of work. 

As for Robert the bruce or more correctly Robert de Bruys he was a Norman French speaking knight fighting another French speaking knight John de balliol for the crown of Scotland , later fighting another Norman French speaking knight King edward, with the support of the Welshman (from an area of what is now Scotland) , William Wallace.

note Wallace meaning Welshman.  Surnames in those days only just becoming established both balliol and Bruys being where the Norman knight families came from. 

Mean while I've managed 5hours solid sleep, I need some more.. Time to roll over.. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I found patio magic good for killing the kitchen on the top of the landrover.... 

That must be awkward cooking up there:rolleyes:

Morning from our usual hotel in Brum. A nice corner suite and its not much difference in price to nearby Premier Inns plus breakfast is included.  Lots of rainbow flags at Snow Hill station and in various shop windows plus there is a marathon hence why the hotels are a little dearer than usual I guess.

We are off to Aberystwyth then back via Newton and Oakengates for beer.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

That must be awkward cooking up there:rolleyes:

Ruddy spell chequers 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2019 at 06:04, chrisf said:

One is a reissue of “Airs and Graces” by June Tabor with bonus tracks, to mark the 80th birthday of Topic Records.  The haul is completed by a collection of Chet Atkins guitar tracks and a compilation of English folk field recordings assembled by Stick In The Wheel. 

Interesting choices there - the late Chester Burton Atkins was just about the most influential guitarist of the 20th Century even if he was "a little bit country".

Back later

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Off to cloudy Didcot in the niot too distant,  Oddly (should that be conveniently?) our route will take us past Root One,  or on the other hand as we will have plenty of time in hand it might well take us into Root One which will be open by the time we get there, the advantage of having RMweb members' day at Didcot on a Saturday ;)

Have a good day one and all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It has just stopped raining here. 

I don’t have too many (none?) tasks today. I am sure something will happen though. Car repair should occur later today, but all I have to to is make coffee for the repairman. 

As regards Mark Knopfler. I have cds from the Dire Staits era but my favourite is his collaboration with Emmylou Harris, All the Roadrunning. 

Have a a good day. 

Tony

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The same rain mentioned by Tony has stopped here too and now the sun is coming out. Ian, congratulations to Jemma on her promotion. Not a lot else happening today so its be back later.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s not raining here in the northwest, but the sun has just gone behind some clouds. The school at the back of our house is having a fete, live music and games and although we can here it, it isn’t so load as to be annoying. 

I was hoping to spend the day in the workshop, but the G word has been mentioned and I must admit, it is starting to look a little untidy so that’s where I’ll be spending most of the day. 

Back later. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Just into Afternoon all, 

layout carriages X2 loaded,  addition modules in landrover,  tools in landrover,  

Once that was done the ramp extension wouldn't fit in the trailer.  So I took it the the front of the trailer and found it fitted nicely on the A frame . It just needed something to hold it in place.

I fitted the stays to the top door, ... And they didn't work.. The door was to heavy .

So I went to the local hardware store 5 miles away bought two long door hooks and a pair of galvanised angles ( like shelf Brackets) .

The door hooks were fitted and worked.. 

The angles were screwed to the front on the trailer either side of the ramp,  with a heavy duty string from the last hole of one angle to the other where it's hooked on with a hook made from a bit of  coat hanger . That is all now secure. 

After that the mower battery was changed and it bravely fought it's way through the jungle down the main Avenue and to the mobile home. A few trips to widen the track and after an hours mowing. I've put it away till Monday . Several hours more mowing required .

A cheese and onion toastie has been had coffee to be finished then eyelid inspection before heading for the MRC. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's now on charge again but I fear that a new battery may be required. 

When my not too old battery wouldn’t hold a charge recently after checking first there were no mysterious items causing a problem, the dealer gave the battery a one hour charge to check it could be charged and then gave it a 24 hour charge. This seems to have restored it. Before this it would seem fine for a couple of days after a 50 mile journey but ran down if not used for three days. 

The battery in Aditi’s Fiesta is original from 2012 and the car starts after weeks of being left. I think the Evoque was confused by the iPod connected to the cars usb input!

Tony

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I have just had a ping moment..as in...a piece being fitted has pinged somewhere... oh well..

Baz

I will be putting in a light colour plain flooring in the shed but that still won’t guarantee finding such items.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I will be putting in a light colour plain flooring in the shed but that still won’t guarantee finding such items.

Some of the US Bachmann steam locos were only safe to work on in a plastic bag. What ever you fitted something else pinged off.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry I've been absent, but I've been lurking and all posts are read and rated - Ian A - a big well done to Gemma.  John - pleased to see that Sandy is Stable, and thanks for the update on Debs.  Anybody know for sure about Pete - I too thought he was travelling or staying somewhere rural, and am a bit dismayed to hear that he is or may be unwell.  And any news of late on RIck?  He hasn't posted since last Sunday, when he was unsure about whether to go to work on Monday.  And of course, generic greetings are on offer to all other celebrating or ailing.

Well we were heading for a jumble sale this afternoon, but we got started on a bit more painting in the house, and somehow got ourselves roped into the job a bit more than expected, and did a lot more than we originally intended.  It actually started with "I think we'll move the corner shelf from our bedroom to the spare bedroom, and bring the shelf unit from there into our bedroom".  Well, yes, good idea, but when the corer shelf came down, the emulsion behind was tatty, so that had to be redone.  Then it was decided that the gloss was "too yellow, so can we redo it in that nice Farrow's Cream that we got mixed at Johnstone's.  So now we need more mixed, as the living room is still not finished - that'll be the fourth trip to Johnstone's in as many weeks - might suggest taking B&b there!!!!

Back tomorrow if I don't drown in paint - must say the smell is pretty bad, but I will insist on using full gloss oil based.

Regard to All

Stewart

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Afternoon all, we have a dull and drizzly sort of day, so I thought I'd go trout fishing on the local burn, as soon as I stepped in the water the rain got heavier and the wind got stronger, so that's my excuse for not catching anything lol

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The torrential rain yesterday did stop eventually but not before the volume of water was so great that the creeks were running across the road. The culverts could not handle the flow. That's the first time I've seen that and we've been here for 24 years.

• Friendly/supportive 19