The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I would have thought the temperate rain forest would require the "F word" ...

Oh, yes, it certainly does!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, TheQ said:

The Kilt technically is Not Scottish formal dress, It is the dress of the Gaelic  highlander, who were mortal enemies of the Scots, trews as in tartan trousers were adopted  by Scots when tartan became fashionable in Victorias reign.

The kilt today is very different to the phillabeg or Phillamore , which was a loose unpleated cloth worn around the waist held by a belt, or around the waist and over the shoulder. 250years of development has created the very formal kilt of today..

But the Sassenachs don't know so we can get away with anything.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 16

Morning All,

It's quite a nice morning today.  Fairly mild, and with temperatures due to climb into the mid 20s later on.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Northroader said:

Not good if you forget and put it on back to front.

Like Sir Richard Branson when he stepped off a new virgin trains service in Edinburgh in full view of the press...

Edited by TheQ
  • Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

But the Sassenachs don't know so we can get away with anything.

Well  to A true Gael, a sassanach is any of the Scots as well as those from England..

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

My grandmother (fathers morher) was a Cummins. Her definition of a Sassenach was any form of lowland Scot. Next down the country were Border Reivers..she never referred to the English as Sassenachs.. probably because she was living in County Durham.

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Muggerteas made and delivered to SWMBO. I have already been asked "what are your plans for today?" and, as usual, I cautiously proffered the idea that I could fix more solar-powered lights around the micro-estate. Unusually, this seems to have been accepted so I will present myself with hammer drill and plastic wall plugs once wheat products soaked in milk have been consigned to the digestive tract. I shall strongly oppose any idea that we could plant some raspberry canes as our present nice G-word could easily regress to the F-word. We have been in this place for 15 months now and are still to be attended by the builder's repairs team to address a few snagging issues so wielding of paint-bearing devices is still not part of my task list.

Baz and ChrisF, please take time to at least discuss your ongoing coughs with a qualified pharmacist, better safe than sorry! GDBob, sounds like rest and physio may be required to ensure you can make future railway modelling gatherings AND to take full benefit of your recent erection. The Q, I didn't see that one (thankfully) but assume it was only a little pr!ck (as Hattie Jacques would have said). Condolences to all sufferers, particularly those who are affected by pollen dust as we head for another Bank Holiday - of course pollen counts will lower on Sunday and Monday as rain arrives - almost certain as it is a BH weekend.

Have a nice day y'all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

This is the second time I've type this, the screen suddenly went blank, then came back on, and I was dumped at the top of page 7628  with the editor empty but if I tried typing anything nothing happend. I had to hit the cross in the corner and start again..

Mooring awl , Inner Temple Hare,

A  Terrible nights sleep, 2.5 hours A loooong gap then 1.5 Hours sleep ish..

Why the long gap? My brain was on overdrive, on today's and the weekends work.

I'm finishing 15 minutes early in order to get to Auto glass in time, when thats finished it's a dash home, grab something to eat, out to the MRC to prepare the 2 units there for transport.

Saturday, hopefully the club has arranged to get the keys to the hall after the previous occupants a farmers market open till 12:30 so hopefully we'll get in Mid afternoon.

Sunday the open day... Monday rest I hope, but I bet SWMBO has other ideas..

A lot of the night was working out a long list of what I need to take as effectively I will be demonstrating modelling for 5 hours.. oddities I've thought of..

A gallon of water and a mixing mini bowl to wash brushes etc in,

yogurt pots to mix up gue in,

drill and screwdriver to attach latches of new boards to old, this should be done before opening time I hope,

box of paints (200ml bottles)

A pasty or two.. as much as how wonderful the ladie's cakes are , I'm diabetic and there is too much sugar in them..

The new board and another Sheet of Extruded Foam. Some normal polystyrene foam.

Some pre cut lengths of ply (3 in wide) another board for the making of.

non solvent glue for above.

polyfilla ,PVA, J cloths.

vinyl gloves,

Apron, leather, for the protection of kilt.

High stool, it will be long day..

Mini hoover reserved for the removal of execess static grass, static grass gun and grass in various shades.

Heather ... OK purple dyed litchen..

While typing thisI've been starting work on another major system..

Time too... take the next measurement..

PS there is a large pile of ex brambles awaiting the application of heat once the wind is in the right direction..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s another sunny start here in the northwest, blue skies with just a few clouds. My first task this morning is to hang my wetsuit outside on the washing line to dry. Then it’s off to Asda to pick up a few bits that Sainsbury’s no longer stack, then on to the Trafford Centre for the rest of the shopping. Back home via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. 

I’ve no plans for the afternoon, but that may well change if Sheila comes up with an idea!

Enjoy the day, back later. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Dom , did you handcraft the new bed?

Yep, I did, though with a bit of aid in having had the wood cut to length by the DIY store. I did buy a sander and mitre saw for finishing work, though. Should be useful when I end up building a layout, too!

Morning all. Quite warm and a bit cloudy, and I’ll see to taking things a bit slower today! I think dinner will be either beef Stroganoff or Chinese stir-fried beef with onions, depending on what they’ve got at the butcher‘s.

:bye: 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

I had an ongoiing battle with b***dy brambles because of their habbit of pulling fences down, complicated by one of the management who compained obout me choping down the d**n things on the grounds that they yealded good fruit.

Mornin awl

They will produce much better fruit if pruned back.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A sunny day here in North Hipposhire started off earlier with a nice SWMBO-made muggocoffee. Shortly taking Dad into Shrewsbury for a clinic appointment, the main problem being what shall I put on the car stereo that won't result in a grumble of "just a lot of noise" (which, I have to admit, is often my thought when hip hop or rap stuff is audible)? I think I'll try Dire Straits today - how could anyone not appreciate Mark Knopfler's guitar genius? Best have a soothing classical piece standing by though, just in case.

Salmon for dinner tonight done in a ginger, orange, garlic and soy sauce marinade (Hairy Bikers recipe) that always goes down well.

Not a very exciting day really but at least I'm not a politician.....

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'm in two minds about brambles and ivy. Despite their invasive tendencies they are both very good at soaking up pollution, especially ivy. I've mentioned the brambles already and will be doing battle with them this weekend and a few other weekends over the coming year. The Ivy I prefer to leave alone as it is in two places well away from the house and where it can cause little damage. One patch is midway down the garden hiding an ugly concrete fence post, its actually rooted in next doors garden and that side of the garden is where the 'mini forest' of shrubs grow. The other ivy patch is by the side entrance and attaches itself to the 2 metre high brick wall that surrounds my property on that side. Apart from soaking up pollution like a sponge it also hides the access to the property from view. The brick wall it clings to is only about four feet long with a buttress at each end and should be able to withstand the ivy.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Having introduced the J word O I need perhaps hardly add that it too includes blackberries in profusion - in fact such profusion that the bl**dy things sprout up everywhere.  Incidentally  Roundup will not have much effect on them, they need a dose of SBK which is formulated to deal with them and similar shrubby type things.  Added to blackberries I also have invasive ivy all over the place on two boundaries - all of it originally planted by idiot neighbours who though it 'looked nice' plus dear (??), some of it is now over 20 feet high up trees.  And of course dear (??) old bindweed which is also resistant to every form of chemical warfare except one very specific seasonal attack when it is in flower.  Add in next door's equally invasive laurel (some of which i was tackling the other day) and the estate takes a lot of labour when I'm inclined to offer any.  But I do havea concrete mixer ;) 

So maybe some more G/J word today but a rain shower is forecast so if it happens and everyone gets their washing in I might go in for a spot of incendiarism on one of the bonfire heaps.

Now a note for GDB - I'm not sure where we will be parked on Sunday but it might be quite close to the centre of action (I hope).  Once you're at the centre of the action it is all pretty close together - no more than a couple of hundred yards at the very most from one end to the other.  There are stairs to ascend in the museum (which Drew said will be open) but that's about it.  What I can't find out is where we are mean to park as there are two routes in and I'm asking Drew which we use - if it's the one marked 'Fawley Hill' on the map below then there is a steep unmade slope to walk down to get to the railway area, not very long but not exactly flat.  The railway and museum area is in the top right corner of this pic below.   As that is the easiest route to access from the main road I presume it's the one we're expected to use?

Fawley.jpg.cb86b2a8a872605dd499b8f33b8216fb.jpg

Enjoy your day folks.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1