The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Kilt technically is Not Scottish formal dress, It is the dress of the Gaelic  highlander, who were mortal enemies of the Scots, trews as in tartan trousers were adopted  by Scots when tartan became fashionable in Victorias reign.

The kilt today is very different to the phillabeg or Phillamore , which was a loose unpleated cloth worn around the waist held by a belt, or around the waist and over the shoulder. 250years of development has created the very formal kilt of today..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The bin wagons dawn chorus has been and gone and included the lesser spotted glass and bottle. Off now to study the latest edition of Bylines that has only just arrived. Be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Just fell out of bed still knackered with jet lag, I don't like sitting in a tin tube for a 10 hour flight so that won't be happening again Her can go on her own with our daughter.

I found out my week-end of trains is off my friend Steve who does the driving had got the dates mixed up so I will mail order some wagon kits to play with.

Can some-one tell me the attraction of wearing a kilt apart from venting certain parts of the body is there more to it than that.

Anyway must go haven't eaten for 36 + hours apart from the peasants' basket I got on the airplane it wouldn't keep a rat alive.:superman: S.T.Arving :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 81C said:

Can some-one tell me the attraction of wearing a kilt apart from venting certain parts of the body is there more to it than that.

Can some-one tell me the attraction of wearing a Trousers apart from confining certain parts of the body is there more to it than that.

Apart from the fact a kilt has  lot more room for your assets, and there is no chance of anything being trapped in a zip..

The women love a man in a kilt..:D Just wish I knew that 40 years ago...:(

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Can some-one tell me the attraction of wearing a Trousers apart from confining certain parts of the body is there more to it than that.

Apart from the fact a kilt has  lot more room for your assets, and there is no chance of anything being trapped in a zip..

The women love a man in a kilt..:D Just wish I knew that 40 years ago...:(

Interesting point. Women are anatomically more suited to trousers but wear skirts while men wear trousers for which they are not suited.

Often wondered though whether that heavy sporran might not cause a few issues.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon. A lunch break form fitting insulation to the shed walls. Just 4 more panels to go then its ready for the wall lining once I order it. Shed is noticeably cooler in the sun - should be as there is 50mm in the walls and 75mm in the roof plus the 100mm in the floor.

One sound decoder installation completed this morning ( involved cutting part of the weight to get the iPhone speaker in) with the second on the workbench, so that's a bit of crust earning done today.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Interesting point. Women are anatomically more suited to trousers but wear skirts while men wear trousers for which they are not suited.

Often wondered though whether that heavy sporran might not cause a few issues.

You are correct in the anatomy ,

The sporran is hung from the waist, and the top of it should only hang down a little, it's not a "cricket Box". Many today wear their sporrans too low..

Tthe origin of the sporran in in the scrip, which in England used to be worn on the hip,

if you saw the TV series Wolf Hall about Henry vIII 's right hand man Thomas Cormwell, they correctly used Scrips in that. Scrips were before the invention of trouser pockets.

The Scrip is where the old name of "Cut purses " came about as a thief would cut the strings and run off with your money.

The Scots were renown for being protective of their money and wore their Scrips in front.

There is in a museum somewhere, a sporran where if you open the sporran from the normal flap, two minature pistols would fire, it has a hidden opening in the back..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

06.29 the promised call came from John Lewis.  We'll be with you in 30 minutes, traffic permitting.  Haha I thought cynically.

06.59 they arrived bringing the new tv and taking the old one under their guarantee.

All set up now and raring to go.  Just got to establish how to watch Spurs play the Red Scouse on the 1st June.

• Like 17

9 hours ago, chrisf said:

Now to matters arising.  Lightengine, by way of reply to your points, here is the transcript of the Messenger conversation with Harry on Tuesday evening:

Chris

Chris, no offence intended or instructions how to suck eggs. 

I just wondered if you had inadvertently answered a question that could only be answered by looking on FB.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

On our first cruise someone who was some sort of senior police officer wore a formal uniform and in the lift afterwards some people from Liverpool  asked him which fire brigade he worked for. 

Tony

Is that because they had seen his hose?

Jacket, scarf, taxi!

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, lightengine said:

Is that because they had seen his hose?

Jacket, scarf, taxi!

The lift was very crowded so I doubt it. However when the Liverpudlians got out the police officer did inform his wife he was going to wear a dinner jacket in future. I think it was all her fault!

On our last cruise something I noticed for the first time was someone on a formal evening wearing a row of medals. Not on our dinner table but nearby. I know quite a lot of passengers on P&O and Cunard have served (they used to give extra on board spend to serving and retired military) but that chap must have been very brave to have so many.

Tony

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Out tonight to test a few models on the SEERS test track.

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

This group included our friend who had the cardiac arrest back in January. He's in fine spirits, and "perfect health" aside from having a pacemaker at present. Apparently, he has to have that for some time (unknown/months) as a precaution. He's on disability leave right now from Delta but figures he's "done", given he's closing in on 62, mandatory retirement for commercial flying at 65 and apparently he has to be "pacemaker free" for two years before he can return to flying duties. His only complaint is that he doesn't know what to do with himself with all the free time! Currently looking into some volunteering in social justice programs.

Tally ho.

He should take up model railroading.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

As we all know very well, smoke alarms always start to complain about their batteries in the middle of the night. (I'm considering applying to the SCR for a grant to investigate the cause of this well-known phenomenon.) The one outside our bedroom decide to complain at 1:30 AM yesterday. 

There is an explanation for this phenomenon.

TonyS explained it to me once. 

Something to to with Chemistry ... or Physics... or Voodoo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 13

9 hours ago, Kingzance said:

passing many hirsute-bottomed ships

Am trying to imagine a hirsute-bottomed ship.

May i suggest copper cladding? It seemed to work in days of sail at least for other organic befoulment of ship bottoms*. ;) 

* Ships' bottoms? I'll let the grammarians decide.

"GRAMMAR POLICE - TO SERVE AND CORRECT!" is apparently a thing. T-shirts, mugs, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12