The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I wonder about that too and sometimes think I must have just imagined it as there can't have been enough time!

Dave

You flew so quickly that you arrived before you departed.

Crab Air time management is second to none!

• Like 10
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

visit estate agent to see what is available ( if anything) at the local sheltered housing complex;

If it's anything like round here, there will be plenty of properties available in sheltered housing. And yet they keep building more.

Count your fingers when you come out. The terms and conditions for most of these properties are draconian. We were lucky to find one for my Dad to rent as the owners could not sell.

Maybe worth having an informal chat with the warden/manager first rather than an estate agent.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here, nice blue sky and supposed to be getting warmer soon. 

Aditi  is hoping  to schedule some sitting in the garden instead of gardening in the garden later today. Yesterday was sorting out travel arrangements for Aditi’s Californian  uncle. He had told us all he would be coming in July to see MiL.  So he has announced he is coming in August, staying for 5 days and flying to Amsterdam to join a cruise  with his wife and in-laws.  I have been asked for advice. I have given my advice. It does involve us getting up very early one morning and taking Uncle to Southend if he accepts it but we shall see. 

I have been given the job of listening for the postman this morning. Aditi has a “parcel out for delivery”. She wants to put some devices in the pear  trees to trap codling moths.  Our pears are very nice but require cutting open to avoid the meaty bits. 

Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Disaster... The pie van is on holiday, and the sandwich deliverer has failed to turn up. There will be many hungry in here by dinner time..

Plans for this weeks further work have just gone out the window as both service and production want to extend the cal on their systems. Leaving me with not a lot major to do for the rest of the week. I've an hour left on the current system. Then it's time to  start looking for minor stuff.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Breakfast has been had and tea drunk, not a lot else to be reported.

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Plan for today: finish Mugocoffee; wait for garage to call and arrange to pick up Dad's car; visit estate agent to see what is available ( if anything) at the local sheltered housing complex; finish constructing baseboards; start cleaning up workshop, which is covered at all levels in sawdust and shavings.

Amendment to plan: garage has just called to say that, contrary to what insurance idiots people told me yesterday, that I will have to take car in to them for assessment but the earliest that can happen is 10th of June! Then there may be a further substantial delay before they can book it in to be fixed! I saw red and was about to start trying to get something sorted out more quickly but SWMBO has pointed out that since Dad has decided to give up driving it really doesn't matter and I can save myself some aggro and heartbeats by just accepting things as they stand. She has a point, of course, but I'm still annoyed that the insurance pillocks people basically either lied or are so incompetent that they don't know what goes on in their own system - maybe both.

Amended plan now is: finish baseboards; visit estate agent; arrange appointment with solicitor re selling Dad's house etc.; start workshop cleanup.

l love it when a plan comes together. Maybe one of these days it will happen.

Have a good day all and thoughts for those who are less fortunate.

Dave

46 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If it's anything like round here, there will be plenty of properties available in sheltered housing. And yet they keep building more.

Count your fingers when you come out. The terms and conditions for most of these properties are draconian. We were lucky to find one for my Dad to rent as the owners could not sell.

Maybe worth having an informal chat with the warden/manager first rather than an estate agent.

Dave, check out the Hanover Trust*. They provide sheltered housing from warden controlled independent housing to care homes. My grandfather spent his final years in one of their warden controlled apartments. I have put my name down with them for when the time comes when/if I can no longer live independently.

*Other similar organisations are available.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Morning(just), been a busy old morning, SWMBO at the docs first then collect eggs from farmer on the way back, then garden bits and bobs before it started raining again. This retirement job doing thing is under discussion on a "G" word forum I moderate on, "Manyana" effect, putting off things not urgent, I pointed out that Ive been doing that all my life lol...…………………….

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, lightengine said:

Barry, have they invented walking cricket yet?  Similar to walking football for the non runners of this world.

I thought that was what the twelth man was for, he ran up and down and when he finished you took a gentle stroll

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

rumble rumble rumble...

rumble rumble rumble....

rumble rumble rumble....

Yes the new AC in the outer lab is being commissioned... we have cold air coming out of Donald Trumps Nappy...

I suppose that's better than the hot air that normally comes out of the other end...

Meanwhile I have a resistor to cal, this one's from Saudi is it warming up or cooling down?

• Like 7
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Humm phone call from auto glass, " this is to confirm your appointment for 12:15 tomorrow. For you windscreen replacement on the kia"

My reply  " no my appointment is for 3:30 I can't make it before then on any day"

Automatic voice says " please hold" then phone goes dead. 

5minutes later phone rings again" I've checked with the office I don't know who made the appointment  but it was wrong,  would Friday 3:30 do ok"

I say "yes"

"OK "he says" I'll get that written down so they don't move it again"

I think the clue is in the again,  someone thought they could move my appointment.. 

It does mean Friday is going to be busy,  it'll be get home grab something to eat and straight out again.. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

25 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

By the way another 8" of white stuff is expected tonight.

The good news is that they will keep I25 clear and DEN can handle snow. Hopefully your flight will not be delayed much, if at all. Denver's high tomorrow will be 10°C.

I do recommend taking E-470 from I25 to DEN. It is a toll road, so you might get some charges on the card you used to rent your vehicle after the fact. I expect they will keep it clear too - particularly so since it is a toll road. 

Safe travels. Hopefully the snow will have stopped by the time you need to head to the airport.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Chatting to my neighbour across the way, he was busy laying a patio to the shed/summerhouse he built in the back garden. Dave, glad to hear that you've found a place for your dad. I'm lucky in that Hanover trust have some properties locally, even better they're only about a quarter mile from my model railway club. Teas brewed so its be back later.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1