The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A week after eventually first meeting face2face, Happy Birthday, Rick!

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

And on the subject of pronunciation, let's not forget Ireland where Dunloaghair becomes Dunleery or places in the U.K. Such as Leominster being Limster, Scarisbrick being Scaysbrick or the place near Crewe spelled Wybunbury that locals call Winbry (among other things). 

Off to to catch the train to Lunnon for the gathering in Chancery Lane. Hope a few of the remaining brain cells survive.

Good morning All; have a good day.

Dave

With Lysester (Leicester), Bister (Bicester), Gloster (Gloucester) and the Americans' favoUrite, Wuster (Worcester) (saucy), how come Cirencester is pronounced 'Cirencester' and not Cirensta?

Oh, and don't forget that area of London referred to as Ho'born but spelt Holborn. Now, as for Marylebone....

Not a place name, but it irks me every time someone refers to a caisson, even on the BBC! A water-based device, there are two on the Falkirk Wheel and several around various dockyards for sealing water in a confined space. Correct pronunciation is Cassoon.

I won't even venture near the two most violent conurbations along the South Coast: Cosham and Bosham. Please: Cossam and Bossam.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

17 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Correct pronunciation is Cassoon.

Online dictionary says, caisson /ˈkeɪs(ə)n,kəˈsuːn/

and pronounces "case on".

The Yose Might is a nice park.  And I quite like the Po tow mack river in DC.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

With Lysester (Leicester), Bister (Bicester), Gloster (Gloucester) and the Americans' favoUrite, Wuster (Worcester) (saucy), how come Cirencester is pronounced 'Cirencester' and not Cirensta?

I was told by a then local that Cirencester was referred to by the locals as Ciren. But this was close on fifty years ago

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<How do you pronounce the surname Bastard?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With the South Hams family with that name, it was Bass-tard.  Rather like Bou-quet!

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Bit like De'ath and Diviney.. both attended my school.

Early start for my match tomorrow..just hope that the rain doesn't appear

Baz

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The traffic hold up at Sadlers Farm had been cleared by lunch time. My friend had no hold ups coming from South Benfleet but there was still evidence of the accident. Off to Brentwood tomorrow for the toy fair, modelling tokens at the ready then the orange emporium for materials for the young mans layout. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

Evening all, well the rains just started, proper lucky getting my roof completed in nice weather, no plans for the weekend, might go fishing if it's not too wet, not been for ages, probably hit one of our local beaches and try for some flatfish, a Turbot if I'm lucky.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I was told by a then local that Cirencester was referred to by the locals as Ciren. But this was close on fifty years ago

I've heard that one but also heard The  even older Sisister.

Evening awl just back from the MRC,  while there it started persisting down and still is though not heavily. 

The first of the club layouts was disassembled and boxed up for next week ends open day. 

I'll do most of the packing of my layout next Friday.  Although emptying the back of the landrover,  and loading those wheeled units with scenic items on top into the trailer will start tomorrow weather permitting. 

I did  do something with electrically charged green fibres today,  but not much.  As the rest of the time was spent pat testing for next week.  20extension cables.. One of which when I turned over socket had written on it...... Empire made... Needless to say it failed.. 

have a goodnight Awl

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

A week after eventually first meeting face2face, Happy Birthday, Rick!

I won't even venture near the two most violent conurbations along the South Coast: Cosham and Bosham. Please: Cossam and Bossam.

Thank you!.

Australians are stymied by what they usually call "Worr-chester-shyre" Sauce.  Both as to its pronunciation and usage.

On the south coast I learned Bosham as "BOZZ'm" but Cosham divides people.  It seems true locals, i.e. born and bred north of the railway and not claiming to live in Wymering, Highbury, Paulsgrove or other less-than-salubrious areas insist on "COSS'm" but everyone else uses "COSH'm".  It must have been one of the latter who penned the limerick:-

There was once an old man from Cosham

Who took out his false teeth to wash 'em;

His wide said "Now Jack

If you don't put them back

I'll get a sledge hammer and squash 'em"

Then there's Southwick up behind the hill which is Suth'ick (soft "th" as in thy and matching nearby Swanwick, correctly said Swan'ick) while Southwick farther east is South-wick.  Funnily enough Worthing has a few visitors mis-guessing.  I've heard "Wart-hing" and "War-thing" quite regularly.  I though everyone knew it rhymed with fur ..... 

• Like 11
  • Funny 8

13 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Yep, blame me Phil, it's all my fault. I can take it. I get blamed for most things that happen around here and in the world generally.

Just got my third quote for the garden which makes the original one that I thought excessive seem positively reasonable. Now waiting for the first one  to come back to let me know when he can do it as he is much in demand and also contracts for designers at Hampton Court and Chelsea flower shows.

I think that I have said before that I got the blame when anything went wrong for one of two reasons (a) I was there or (b) I wasn't there:huh: 

Night awl 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well this morning’s shopping trip to the Trafford Centre wasn’t as bad as I had first expected, although we were there quite a long time, we didn’t spend too many model tokens  that however will be rectified tomorrow when I go to the model railway exhibition at the Manchester Transport Museum. 

As usual following the Trafford Centre shopping expedition, we returned home via the butchers where I picked up the weekly meat rations and a pastie for dinner. I also picked up some pork sausages with garlic and cracked black pepper, which we will have on Tuesday, when James and Amelia come round for tea. They had to cancel their visit which should have been this evening, as Amelia has joined a school choir group and they practice on Friday after school, so we’ve had to change days. Anyway, it made for a very quiet Friday evening, one in which we sat down with a nice bottle of Australian Shiraz and caught up on some recorded TV. 

Goodnight all. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Last time we tried to get in to The Magpie the queue was so long we got too hungry to wait and went elsewhere.  But talking of chippies we tried our other local one earlier this week as they'd delivered some excellent god & chips to the  quiz night at the bowls club some weeks back.  Definitely cheaper than the one down the road from us and Mr Singh cooks all the fish fresh to order - so it was nice and fresh.  But rather worrying was that I noticed he too offers deep fried Mars bars - who on earth eats them round here in the allegedly posh Thames Valley?

Ah, box cards - I remember them  (just about) although while I get a new one every year I can't remember the last time I used one, must be over 30 years ago as even back then I used to borrow a card pass if I was going off Region on a duty trip.  The real art of dating comes with continental passes where you only get (or 'got' as most are lost on retirement)  3 or 4 boxes on the coupon so it required careful planning if you were dodging around Europe by train.  However at least BR got the message and copied that system and did away with free tickets although they had the advantage that they lasted longer than two days so you could spend an entire weekend going to Scotland, and round a lot of it, on just the one ticket provided you carefully selected some suitably sited and, hopefully little known south of the border, station as your destination.  And even with somewhere like Inverness it's great fun working out just how many ways there are of getting there and back from a suitably little known station such as Bruton.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Australians are stymied by what they usually call "Worr-chester-shyre" Sauce.  Both as to its pronunciation and usage.

My mum was not confused about pronunciation, though in a 'strine accent it might come out more like 'wuss-ta-sheer'. She put it in her stew and her rissoles (burgers) not to mention many other things.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mr Singh cooks all the fish fresh to order - so it was nice and fresh

Is there an alternative universe where fish is not cooked to order at a 'proper' fish and chip shop?

The horror. (Excepting US pubs where it comes out of the freezer) at home I am used to being able to point at a piece of fish in the refrigerated display and saying "that one". 

I'd likely pass on the 'god & chips' though, excellent or otherwise. ;)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1