The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

It is overcast and cooler here. 

It would seem that Benfleet is cut off from the rest of Essex this morning. A collision between a motor cycle and van at the Sadlers Farm roundabout is still causing congestion for miles around. Aditi is supposed to be going to Brentwood but may have to cancel her hairdressing appointment. 

I can’t think of too many places locally that are pronounced very differently to their spelling. Nearer London I suppose Feydun Boys is though. 

Tony 

Thanks for the heads up Tony, hopefully things will get sorted by lunchtime. When talking of pronouncing place names how about Happisburgh, pronounced Hays-ber-ro. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention, handbags are out on the HS2 thread. I wish we had a smiley like one on another forum I frequent. He/she is sitting down to watch the entertainment eating from a bag of popcorn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

As to the ladder issue, I too have problems with high(ish) hedges and trees, and I plan to get one of these - my friend in Herefordshire has one, and I climbed it and felt totally secure at a height of about 8 feet - it will be £350 well spent, and I can, of course, fund that from the "saving" in hot having the errant tooth crowned.

https://www.henchman.co.uk/products/platform-tripod-ladders.html

Stewart, here is the link to the one I bought:

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/DIY-Scaffold-Towers.html

I have no commercial link to BPS, I'm just a happy customer. It supports a 100Kg Kingzance model without too many issues :D. I did get the 4-piece outrigger set so I can perform the pasadoble when mounted without fear. Seriously though, I have a bit of a brutal, petrol-powered hedge trimmer which can be extended to 3m long or can have a small chainsaw or strimmer head fitted (no need to strim 3m away of course) so it works well cutting 3m high hedges or tree branches and gives a good reach, hence the need for the outrigged stabilisers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

ohh that looks interesting, with 8ft 6 in high ceilings and the house on a bit of a mound, it's 20ft to the eaves I've been perusing scaffold towers for some time. That looks a good price...

I also have lots of old trees that need a severe trim with the chain saw.

Happisburgh? from my model railway shed I can see the light house , most I hear round here say "hays br uh"

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Many happy returns Rick.

I'm sitting waiting to be served in the Magpie cafe in Whitby.  Baz will know why I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Scotland uses the hard ch. Ack-na-SHELL-ack, approximately. 

I would say the opposite -  Scotland uses a soft 'ch'. To give a common example, 'loch' is not pronounced 'lock'.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

I've been on Candesartan for a couple of years Neil. Not had any noticeable side effects and not falling over or banging my head any more that in previous years. :jester:

It's not on any of the horror recall lists, so we'll see how it goes!  I've done OK ish on Valsartan and Moxonidine, but only ish! If this is a bit better and we can get rid of the ish without significant side effects I'll be more than happy.  The Valsartan does make me lethargic but not as bad as some others have in the past.  I've tried about every family of anti-hypertensives in the past and ARB's have been the best balance we could achieve.  I have a new GP as my previous very good one has gone off to be a politician here, so we're still getting to know one another so I don't yet know how good his drug knowledge is, but he was OK the other day, suggesting a few alternatives and had actually read my notes. Always a winner, I fell out with a ward doctor when I was having one of my foot surgeries big time over that.  Having worked 'in the trade' I know a bit what they should be about.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon to most of you. Morning to others.  Happy birthday Rick from wherever we are.  Today we are heading into Wyoming and a possible meet up with Andy ID IN Rock Springs.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

My surname must have a hard D in it, because when I spell it out the recipient says it with a pronounced T instead of a D.

Luckily I am not a Bottomly pronounced Bumley.

How do you pronounce the surname Bastard?:P

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Many happy returns Rick.

I'm sitting waiting to be served in the Magpie cafe in Whitby.  Baz will know why I'm looking forward to it.

So does BSW01! 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

BoD hope it was nice...me I had to make do with Fish and Chips from Midgeleys (once the chippie in "Fat Friends" which I think propelled James Corden towards the UK Public).

Been busy doing various tidy up work today. Her indoors is off out to play Recorders so I can have a quiet night...yes,   right!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I had to ask Rick the Sparks to return today to move a socket as it was in the wrong place (my fault, not his) When I asked what the damage was he said "Nothing Bob, I wish all my customers paid as promptly as you did." I gave him a drink anyway. :yes:

Now enjoying a second glass of Aussie Shiraz and have just been informed by Management that there's a programme about the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on the telly box tonight. :imsohappy:

• Like 16